Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Anyone here like quasi-Mexican food?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jsdonze

Anyone here like quasi-Mexican food?  Reply with quote  

I've been making this casserole for years. It's really easy, turns out delicious, difficult to ruin, can be endlessly experimented with [well, perhaps not endlessly], and almost everybody likes it, kids included. It can be adapted to vegetarian diets [using that crumbled tofu stuff].

It's actual name is Soft Taco Casserole, but I sometimes call it Mexican Lasagna. You can make it spicier or less spicy, to taste. Adjust quantities for the crowd you are feeding -- leftovers are excellent re-heated, as well. This should feed 6-8:

Soft Taco Casserole

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
2 packets taco seasoning mix
1-2 cans beans [your choice], drained & rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can Rotel tomatoes & chiles
2-cup bag of shredded cheese [again, your choice]
1 10-piece package flour tortillas [if you get the small ones, you may need more than 10]

- brown 2 lbs. ground meat & drain any fat;
- add 2 packets taco seasoning and water called for, according to package directions;
- add 1-2 cans beans, [black, red, kidney, or a combo, whatever kind you fancy] drained & rinsed;
- add 1 can whole kernel corn, drained;
- add 1 can Rotel tomatoes & chiles;
- bring to a boil then reduce heat, to simmer for about 10 minutes; remove from heat;
- stir in half of a 2-cup bag of shredded cheese; whatever you fancy, be it the Mexican cheese blend, or plain cheddar, or mix it up; stir until the cheese is melted & completely blended, a couple of minutes;

Assembly:

In a greased [I use Pam spray] 9x13 casserole dish, place flour tortillas to cover bottom of dish; spread about 1/3 of the meat mixture over the tortillas; cover with another layer of tortillas, then another 1/3 of meat; then, 1 more layer of tortillas & the rest of the meat mixture; sprinkle the remainder of the shredded cheese over the top. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until hot & the cheese is melted & bubbling. Take it out of the oven & let it rest for 10-15 minutes, to make cutting & serving easier.

Serve with lettuce, salsa, sour cream, jalapeno or banana peppers, or whatever extras you enjoy on tacos.

Notes: This can be made low-cal/low-fat, or not, depending upon your preferences. Also, it can be made deeper than 3 layers, if you need larger quantities; simply add a little more baking time.

Joni

When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying, now, and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the latter.

--Mark Twain, Autobiography

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
JustAGirl

I make a similar one of those myself. I call it Mexican Lasagna. I use black beans and don't use the Rotel, but I may start adding that. I also put taco sauce in it.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:47 am   View user's profile Send private message
BeerGnome

sounds pretty damn good actually!

I would call it mexican inspired, but that's just me, but, this is defintly something I'm going to try out and throw my twists on.

Post Sat May 09, 2009 9:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: