Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

I'm bored, give me some ideas
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BeerGnome

I'm bored, give me some ideas  Reply with quote  

y'all should know me by now, so, I give y'all a challenge.

I'm bored in the kitchen.. I need to cook up something fun and interesting, something just for the hell of it.

my current idea to just fuck around is to make giant deviled eggs out of ostrich eggs, but I'm sure there are some things out there that y'all would love to try but are scared or too squimesh to try yourself.

so really.. let me know.. I need inspiration, I usually have no problems getting strange ingredients. even common regional ones. I can get what the request demands
i have the ability to cook most anything in any way, techniques and technology I don't have can be improvised
so folks..
get me out of my funk, let me know what you want me to eat.
I'll take pictures, and document the experience

Post Sat May 09, 2009 11:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Jillopy

Rocky Mountain Oysters. Cool

Post Mon May 11, 2009 1:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Long-bearded cow ovaries.

Post Mon May 11, 2009 1:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
BeerGnome

Jillopy wrote:
Rocky Mountain Oysters. Cool

deep fried sheep testicles?

I'll let the butcher know.

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
zendao42

OK, come up with a nightshade hat trick recipe-
I was gonna issue this challenge anyway...

Must include:
Eggplant
Tomato
Potato

Restrictions:
No meat (no meat stock/broth either), mayo or onions
Keep the salt content low

Have fun with it & bonus points if it's simple... Cool

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BeerGnome

zendao42 wrote:

Must include:
Eggplant
Tomato
Potato

Restrictions:
No meat (no meat stock/broth either), mayo or onions
Keep the salt content low

Have fun with it & bonus points if it's simple... Cool

been ruminating on this one, and I think I have a simple interesting idea.
I meen, I look at your ingredients and I immediately see eggplant Parmigiana, simple enough actually, but a little too easy of a conclusion, not to mention the Italians aren't necessarily known for potatoes in there dishes.
granted they weren't really well known for tomatoes either, until some jack ass brought them over from the "new world".

but, as I see your challenge, I see that eggplant, tomato, and potato are shown as the challenge ingredients, what ever I make must incorporate these three items in some form or capacity.
the nightshade? not sure what that meens, I know it's not a really good to use that as a cooking herb, not very tasty, and tends to make your guests dead.

I'm already saddled with eggplant and potato. a lot of the time, eggplant, while a squash, type thing, is often considered a starch, so with the potato, I have to play off two starches.

that's fine though..
also the caviet, no meat, or meat byproducts.

i believe I remember from a previous thread that you allow yourself dairy, and eggs?
if so.. is this allowed in this challenge?

cheese allows for a protein rich garnish, and egg allows for protein and use as a binding agent, if I need it, I don't think I will.

and what's wrong with onions!? honestly?

alright, no onions.

mayo is a condiment, and serves me no purpose here.

hell, I could just make some tabullie and be done with it,. but, I got a interesting idea

Post Wed May 13, 2009 7:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Wonko

BeerGnome wrote:

Zen wrote:

the nightshade? not sure what that meens...

Eggplant, Tomato and Potato are all plants of the Nightshade family.

Quote:

and what's wrong with onions!? honestly?

Many people are allergic to onions... I know that I am and Ms. Zen has mentioned several times that she has an adverse reaction to them as well.

Post Wed May 13, 2009 10:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

This is an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a while so I await your results eagerly-
it's hard to get me to go more than a day without sampling at least one nightshade member
which gives ya something cool & dangerous sounding to name the recipe... Twisted Evil

Dairy's fine, I loves me some cheese & eggs are ok as long as they're cooked into something-
the only way I can tolerate onions is if they're dried or in powder form,
but why bother with them when garlic's so much better? Wink

Post Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
18Rabbit

I'm wondering what you could do with fresh figs and something tart like rhubarb maybe with an agave glaze because, damn is that good.

Post Thu May 14, 2009 7:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Uptown_Toodeloo

BeerGnome wrote:

hell, I could just make some tabullie and be done with it,. but, I got a interesting idea

I think you mean babaganoosh, tabullie is made with bulgar wheat, parsely, lemon juice, and some other stuff.

MMM tabullie is yummy. Smile

While you are looking for adventurous cuisine, have you ever made anything with Vegemite or Marmite? I am morbidly curious about this stuff. While I really want to know what it tastes like, I am too much of a wuss to go and hunt it down to try for myself. Both products are made out of used brewers yeast. I think the largest Marmite producer in England is down the road from the Bass Brewery.

Give it a thought.

Post Thu May 14, 2009 12:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message
BeerGnome

Uptown_Toodeloo wrote:
BeerGnome wrote:

I think you mean babaganoosh, tabullie is made with bulgar wheat, parsely, lemon juice, and some other stuff.

MMM tabullie is yummy. Smile

While you are looking for adventurous cuisine, have you ever made anything with Vegemite or Marmite? I am morbidly curious about this stuff. While I really want to know what it tastes like, I am too much of a wuss to go and hunt it down to try for myself. Both products are made out of used brewers yeast. I think the largest Marmite producer in England is down the road from the Bass Brewery.

Give it a thought.
yeah, babaganoosh, for some reason I always get those things mixed up.

but marmite and Vegemite.

yes, yer right, they are both more, or less the same thing. in the states, you are more likely to find marmite, in fact, my regular grocery store sells it!

as for what it taste like? will its an extract by-product of brewing. like you said, used brewers yeast, spun down moisture extracted and concentrated. very high in protein, and B vitamins.
the taste is kind of reminiscent of rising bread, and ass.
Vegemite, the Australian equivalent of marmite, tends to be more "savory" read: salty.

so Vegemite tastes like the smell of rising bread, and salty ass.

now, that's not meant to deter you from running out and trying it yourself. just remember that a "Vegemite sandwich" usually is just a piece of toast with a very thin spread of the stuff, in which case, its buttery, and nutty with only a light hint of ass.
if you wallop the crap on, you go from something pleasant, to.. well.. a salty ass sandwich

if you try to make a peanut butter and jelly sammich and substitute the peanut butter for marmite, you'll end up with a jelly and black ass sammich

wait, that didn't sound right.. see.. I'm not trying to say it would taste like a black persons ass, no disrespect to my nubian brothers and sisters, what I meen, is that the color of the stuff is like a dark black..green type of color. Remember when Indianna jones was made to drink the black freaky crud from the skull in order to brainwash him in temple of doom?
yeah,
so.... less this:

and more this:

with grape jam

that would be a Vegemite/marmite and jelly sammich. dig?
probably not the effect yer looking for I'm sure

Post Thu May 14, 2009 8:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
BeerGnome

18Rabbit wrote:
I'm wondering what you could do with fresh figs and something tart like rhubarb maybe with an agave glaze because, damn is that good.

i've often ponderd the mystery that is rhubarb pie.

I blame Garrison Kieler

Post Thu May 14, 2009 9:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
BeerGnome

zendao42 wrote:
This is an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a while so I await your results eagerly-
it's hard to get me to go more than a day without sampling at least one nightshade member
which gives ya something cool & dangerous sounding to name the recipe... Twisted Evil

Dairy's fine, I loves me some cheese & eggs are ok as long as they're cooked into something-
the only way I can tolerate onions is if they're dried or in powder form,
but why bother with them when garlic's so much better? Wink

why bother with either, when shallots can be had?

in case you were not in the know, a shallot tastes like a hybrid of onion and garlic, in fact, shallots grow in cloves like garlic, but they have a very mild garlic taste with a sweet onion type of finish.
onion powder is a horrible lie. if i want to infuse something with onion essence, I'll grate a whole onion down in to juice and use as such, in fact onion powder is pretty much what that is, only dehydrated or freeze dried, garlic powder is more or less the same thing, garlic salt has no purpose for existing in any situation.

the poderd varants I use when making premixes for camping, or as spice in a fried, something or other shake

now...

what I have planned for the night shade challenge is actually a meatless hamburger of sorts.. pretty damn simple and easy, and it's probably what you might expect, but I'll thow some twists into as I Gather the things I want for it up

Post Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
DonnaNJ

Hi Zen!

I am a foodie and was immediately drawn to this section of the message board! I am not vegan or a vegetarian, but I do enjoy meatless recipes, as a change of pace, a few days a week. I'm new here and haven't had a real chance to poke around to see what the proper posting protocol (oooh, alliteration, yeay me) is, but I'll just go ahead and print the recipe here. If that's not how it's done, feel free to throw stuff at me:

Ingredients
1 large eggplant, sliced
4 large potatoes, sliced
2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
6 minced garlic cloves
4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne (I've been on a chipotle chili powder kick)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (or really, any cheese you feel like)

Slice and salt eggplant. I know you said low sodium, but I would put a bit of salt on the eggplant slices. You can always rinse it off when you're ready to assemble. Let the slices sit for a while, before you assemble the dish.
Chop tomatoes, and combine with garlic, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and chili powder and marinate for at least an hour, or ideally overnight, so the flavors will blend in a killer fashion.
Layer the vegetables in a 9 x 13 baking dish starting with some of the tomatoes and then layering eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes and repeat the layers, finishing with the last of the tomatoes.
Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Top with cheese and bake until the cheese melts and makes a nice crusty top. You could even broil it briefly, for presentation.

If you try it, let me know what you think!

Post Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Sounds good, we'll have to try this & maybe take it to the Xmas gathering-
I'll ask my mother how she fixed the eggplant slices last time since my husband didn't get overloaded then-
he has a medical condition that salt & caffeine make worse...

Since you're new you probably don't know this but I put cayenne in my cocoa-
we can't get enough of the hot stuff around here! Cool

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: