Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Palin resigns

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginjg

Palin resigns  Reply with quote  

We all thought she was merely going to say she wasn't running for re-election so she could focus on 2012, but this is surprising.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

The things some people will do just to stay in the news.

Wish she'd resign from public attention.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Watching The Wheels

My, my... that is mavericky!

"By leaving office early, Ms. Palin, a 45-year-old mother of five, will be able to travel around the country more freely and not be constrained by the duties and responsibilities of being a governor."

As opposed to the past year?

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lavandula Girl

Well, the people of Alaska should be grateful that she won't be spending their money to do that travelling anymore. Jesus, can you imagine the field day her detractors can have with her quitting when she isn't on the front cover of everything? I look forward to it. The conspiracy theorist in me says the RNC wants to test whether Palin news can knock Michael Jackson off the above-the-fold section of the major news outlets. If so, she's their candidate.

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

This may turn out to be the most sensible thing she's ever done but I ain't holding my breath...

*waits for Tito*

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

And just think that last year she was accused of neglecting her duties as a mom.

Heard on NPR that none other than Ed Rollins has essentially condemned her with the comment: "Republicans aren't quitters," or something like that.

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tito

zendao42 wrote:
This may turn out to be the most sensible thing she's ever done but I ain't holding my breath...

*waits for Tito*

If you're waiting for me you better be wearing that negligee with the edible panties i gave you my credit card number to buy. And speaking of that, isn't $23,699 a bit much for underwear?

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deb

She didn't even make the top of the fold on page two of our local paper, and we're heavily rebubbalican around these parts. I think I heard a collective sound, heard over the fireworks going off all around. It was the loud voices of republicans with decency still attached yelling "GOOD RIDDANCE!"

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lavandula Girl

Far lefties like Kos are reporting that she's being investigated for using Wasilla skate dome supplies and funds to build that dream house of hers. Even if it's from Kos, there may be a whiff of real scandal brewing. That's what pisses me off about all politicians, left or right... the fucking sense that they are owed bigass houses and affairs and all that shit, as a perk of the job.

She didn't make it above the fold here, either, by the way, and we live in a Republibubble too. Our local paper even carries a weekly column by freakin' Chuck Norris. Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message
18Rabbit

Alaskan Roulette  Reply with quote  

From http://www.drawger.com/zinasaunders/index.php?article_id=8238

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

Apparently there's also (facetious?) speculation that she chose the end of last week to announce quitting because The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are on hiatus this week.

Last edited by mllefifi on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
18Rabbit

The Odd Lies Of Sarah Palin: A Round-Up  Reply with quote  

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/07/the-odd-lies-of-sarah-palin-a-roundup.html

It's a fun list, the article links to the references for the listed lies.

Quote:

After you have read these, ask yourself: what wouldn't Sarah Palin lie about if she felt she had to?

Palin lied when she said the dismissal of her public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, had nothing to do with his refusal to fire state trooper Mike Wooten; in fact, the Branchflower Report concluded that she repeatedly abused her power when dealing with both men.

Palin lied when she repeatedly claimed to have said, "Thanks, but no thanks" to the Bridge to Nowhere; in fact, she openly campaigned for the federal project when running for governor.

Palin lied when she denied that Wasilla's police chief and librarian had been fired; in fact, both were given letters of termination the previous day.

Palin lied when she wrote in the NYT that a comprehensive review by Alaska wildlife officials showed that polar bears were not endangered; in fact, email correspondence between those scientists showed the opposite.

Palin lied when she claimed in her convention speech that an oil gas pipeline "began" under her guidance; in fact, the pipeline was years from breaking ground, if at all.

Palin lied when she told Charlie Gibson that she does not pass judgment on gay people; in fact, she opposes all rights between gay spouses and belongs to a church that promotes conversion therapy.

Palin lied when she denied having said that humans do not contribute to climate change; in fact, she had previously proclaimed that human activity was not to blame.

Palin lied when she claimed that Alaska produces 20 percent of the country's domestic energy supply; in fact, the actual figures, based on any interpretation of her words, are much, much lower.

Palin lied when she told voters she improvised her convention speech when her teleprompter stopped working properly; in fact, all reports showed that the machine had functioned perfectly and that her speech had closely followed the script.

Palin lied when she recalled asking her daughters to vote on whether she should accept the VP offer; in fact, her story contradicts details given by her husband, the McCain campaign, and even Palin herself. (She later added another version.)

Palin lied when she claimed to have taken a voluntary pay cut as mayor; in fact, as councilmember she had voted against a raise for the mayor, but subsequent raises had taken effect by the time she was mayor.

Palin lied when she insisted that Wooten's divorce proceedings had caused his confidential records to become public; in fact, court officials confirmed they released no such records.

Palin lied when she suggested to Katie Couric that she was involved in trade missions with Russia; in fact, she has never even met with Russian officials.

Palin lied when she told Shimon Peres that the only flag in her office was the Israeli flag; in fact, she has several flags.

Palin lied when she claimed to have tried to divest government funds from Sudan; in fact, her administration openly opposed a bill that would have done just that.

Palin lied when she repeatedly claimed that troop levels in Iraq were back to pre-surge levels; in fact, even she acknowledged her "misstatements," though she refused to retract or apologize.

Palin lied when she insisted that the Branchflower Report "showed there was no unlawful or unethical activity on my part"; in fact, that report prominently stated, "Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

Palin lied when she claimed to have voiced concerns over Wooten fearing he would harm her family; in fact, she actually decreased her security detail during that period.

Palin lied when asked about the $150,000 worth of clothes provided by the RNC; in fact, solid reporting contradicted several parts of her statement.

Palin lied when she suggested that she had offered the media proof of her pregnancy with Trig to "correct the record"; in fact, no reports of her medical records were ever published; and the letter from her doctor testifying to her good health only emerged hours before polling ended on election day, even though there was nothing in it that couldn't have been released two months earlier.

Palin lied when she said that "reported" allegations of her banning Harry Potter as mayor was easily refutable because it had not even been written yet; in fact, the first book in that series was published in 1998 - two years into her first term - and such rumors were never reported by the media, only circulated as emails.

Palin lied when she denied having participated in a clothes audit with campaign laywers; in fact, the Washington Times later confirmed those details.

Palin lied when asked about Couric's question regarding her reading habits; in fact, Couric's words were not, "What do you read up there in Alaska?" or anything close to condescension.

Palin lied when she mischaracterized the "$1200 check" given to Alaskans as the permanent fund dividend check; in fact, that fund had yielded $2,069 per person, and she claimed otherwise to obscure the fact that Alaskans also received a $1200 rebate check from a windfall profits tax on oil companies - a tax widely criticized by Republicans.

Palin lied when she claimed to be unaware of a turkey being slaughtered behind her during a filmed interview; in fact, the cameraman said she had picked the spot herself, while the slaughter was underway.

Palin lied when she denied having rejected federal stimulus money; in fact, she continued to accept and reject the funds several times.

Palin lied when she claimed that legislative leaders had canceled a meeting with her to hold their own press conference; in fact, they only canceled it after being told she would not participate, and the purpose of the press conference was very different from the meeting's.

Palin lied when she announced on the news that she never holds closed-door meetings; in fact, she had just attended a closed-door meeting with the legislature earlier that day.

Palin lied when she said that former aide John Bitney's "amicable" departure was for "personal" reasons; in fact, Bitney said he was fired because of his relationship with the wife of Palin's friend, plus a Palin spokesperson later claimed "poor job performance" for his firing - without elaborating.

Palin lied when she said she kept her running injury a secret on the campaign trail; in fact, her bandaged hand was clearly visible in photographs and the story was widely talked about.

Palin lied when she claimed that Alaska has spent "millions of dollars" on litigation related to her ethics complaints; in fact, that figure is much, much lower, and she had initiated the most expensive inquiry.

Palin lied when she denied that the Alaska Independence Party supports secession and denied that her husband had been a member; in fact, even the McCain campaign noted that the party's very existence is based on secession and that Todd was a member for seven years.

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Skippykelly

Palin resigned?? really and truly???

Huh.

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Skippykelly wrote:
Palin resigned?? really and truly???

Huh.

Oh, that's right. The news wouldn't have reached you yet, 'cause you're thousands and thousands of miles away from Alaska.

Shocked

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Skippykelly

That and I stopped caring about anything Palin did about 15 minutes after the election...

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: