Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Every now and again an emergency happens

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
juissez

Every now and again an emergency happens  Reply with quote  

Earlier tonight I was down at the pool of my apartment complex drunken on the Natty Light, as is often the case - although at other times it might be The Beast or something from Canada.

Unexpectedly, a horrendously loud bang caught my attention.

Someone from a passing car threw a cherry bomb or something akin out the window and into the woods across the street...where fire ensued.

As I enjoyed playing with fire as a child and still do, I am quite familiar with the subject. Ergo, I found the nearest extinguisher, ran across the street, and put out the fire. After all, fires are only fun when I start them.

I would say I was lucky to have been down at the pool, but the only other person to respond was my brother who was back at the apartment. He came running up with 911 on the line.

At least 20 different apartments full of people were awoken from this bang. And not one single person other than my brother showed up to help.

Apartments filled with Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and Independents, all of them awoken and not a single one of them offered any help at all to a situation that could have easily fucked us all.

Politics are quite meaningless when the nasty shit goes down.

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
imonica

Humans tend to follow what the "group" does, especially when there's danger. I don't know that two people constitute a group. Had there been 5-6 of you out there trying to put out the fire, perhaps more people would have come out to help. This is instinctive behavior that we should have overcome at this point, really. That's why you hear stories about people standing around and watching, or ignoring the fact that something terrible is happening to a fellow human being. It's only when several people decide to take action that they choose to intervene as well.

Those folks who can break out of the group mentality and step up to help? We usually call them heroes. Smile

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:09 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lavandula Girl

Are you sure no one else called 911? Often, multiple calls come in, and the operator will tell people that theirs is not the first call. If I saw that there were already people working on it, and I'd called 911, I would not be out there trying to battle the flames, but I would be staying out of the way, so as not to be... well, in the way.

Conversely, I do admire you for your quick action.

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:53 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

If I were a bystander, without a fire extinguisher or working hose, I couldn't help, mainly because I can never remember the number to call for 911.

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: