Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

How the f**k would you know?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
imonica

How the f**k would you know?  Reply with quote  

Hey, U.S. politicians who like to talk shit about the NHS: Orwellian institution? Lets elderly and severely disbled people suffer and die?

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit propoganda! Don't any of you believe it! My husband would be dead without the NHS. The majority of the people in the UK are very proud of their health service. Sure there's a percentage of people who are against it: the wealthy folks. Since I don't know any rich people, I've yet to meet even one person who wants to do away with the NHS. And I have to wonder if the very small number of people who do want to get rid of it have ever experienced health care American style? Probably not. Evil or Very Mad

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:08 am   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

We have the interwebs in the rest of the world, too, you know, allowing nifty two-way conversations.

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zendao42

Last time I checked, web-talk went more than 2 ways... Razz

The bad thing I noticed about the UK (& this is totally as an outsider)
is that their teeth look worse than mine- now that's saying a lot! Shocked

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

yeah, web-talk threeways are hot.

Look, healthcare debates are best waged in sound-bite and bumper-sticker sized pieces. If I can't slap a Hitler sticker on Obama and make poorly-argued statements about the US turning into Russia, I'm not interested.

B

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 am   View user's profile Send private message
Deive

My favorite sounds bite so far is this one. Laws are like sausage it's best not to watch either one made.

I think this one belongs in politics doesn't it?

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
imonica

L-I-W: Laughing

My feeling is the NHS shouldn't even come into a debate about health care in the US. What works here may not work there and vice versa. So for US politicians to bring it up when Obama's plan isn't to have a health service like the NHS is misleading.

Having lived in both places, I've seen the pros and cons of both systems. The lack of dental care here is a good example of a problem within this system...sort of. It's not that the NHS dentists are terrible, it's that there are hardly any NHS dentists. Most of them left the NHS, because they wanted to make more money than what the NHS paid. So now, you have lots of people in the UK who don't get dental care, because a)there are no dentists nearby, b)the dentists nearby have reached their limit on patients, c)they simply can't afford to go to a private dental practice (It's more expensive than in the US.)

I know plenty of folks in the US who can't afford dental insurance, or to pay to see a dentist either. Some people, like my aunt, have to take out a loan to get braces for her kid. The thing is, lots of people in the US believe that because someone has problems with their teeth, they must be some sort of scumbag, when the reality is they're poor. That's a shame. Being poor does not make someone a lesser human being.

Now, for two years before I moved to over here, I had no health insurance for me or my daughter. I was in the same boat as my mother was when I was a kid. I made too much money to receive Medicaid, but not enough money to pay for insurance. (Although I tried for quite a while, doing without a lot of things just to pay for the insurance.) It was SCARY, let me tell you! I worried constantly that there would be an emergency, and I would have no option but to go to the ER and be stuck with a huge bill I couldn't afford to pay. (Then you have the threatening letters and phone calls, as well.) I don't have to worry about any of that stuff here.

Would I go back to the US and the health system there? I would love to have that option, actually, despite the cost of insurance, because I love my country. But we can't go back, because of my husband's health problems. Even if US immigration allowed him to move there, no insurance company would accept him. That's the way it goes.

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:26 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

imonica wrote:
[...] Being poor does not make someone a lesser human being. [...]

Well, not if you listen to the rhetoric in some circles over here, which boils down to:

"If you're poor, you chose to be or to stay that way. And, since you choose that condition, you have a serious lack of character as a human being."
After all, that's practically a word-for-word quote from Jesus, who, as we all know, was the wealthiest man in the world.

Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: