Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Joe Wilson Calling Obama a Liar During his Speech
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
18Rabbit

Joe Wilson Calling Obama a Liar During his Speech  Reply with quote  

Here's a clip in case you haven't seen it:

GOP Rep Joe Wilson Calls Obama Liar During Health Speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUC2rGj2VqE

I just wondered what your opinions on this and the subsequent backlash/apology. Do you think he was out of line? Do you think he should have apologized about something that he obviously feels pretty strongly about?

The reason I ask is that one of outspoken Republicans at the office where I work thinks that we should have more of this sort of outcry, like in the Parliament.

Do you think it might be good if people got up in congress and called out "Bullshit!" on people who they thought deserved it?

He didn't seem to like my cage match idea though.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Way out of line, childish, insolent, and chickenshit to yell out "You Lie" to the President of the United States during an address to Congress. This isn't a town hall meeting or middle school. Try to control yourself.

I don't remember anyone yelling out "You Lie!" to GWB during eight years of continuous lying, although it may have happened (God knows I would've been tempted). Appealing to the cheaper votes and dimmer minds of your party's base is all well and good. But not at that time, and not in that place.

He got the headlines, and apologized. Whatever that's worth.

B

EDIT - Ask your co-workers what their attitude would have been if this had been the previous President. Probably not the same.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:57 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Just keep clicking the print.

http://joewilsonisyourpreexistingcondition.com/

I think the MOST signifcant aspect of the whole incident, is that the President wasn't lying.

The approach to the "debate" has been for the Republicans to claim some outrageous aspect of the health care bill(s), then when the President or someone in the media proves that to not be the case, for there to be no such language in the bill, and no demonstrable intent (like, It's a Government Take Over of Health Care) then they claim, "Oh yeah, that's what he says, but he's lying."

As inefficient as government is already, if all you do is claim "nuh-uh" in every debate, then it will never work. For my money, the democrats should just ramrod the goddamn thing through and let the Republicans try to get it back in the box when it's their turn. They did that with the Iraq war and the Bush Tax Cuts, now it's the Dems turn. (And I'm totally with you that a lot of Democrats voted for the Iraq war, the fucking cowards. Yeah, this is their chance at redemption, to grow a set. The reason the Republicans always resort to scare tactics is because they work.) Let them yell. I just got a note from Michael Steele, head of the Republican party, encouraging me to oppose health care reform because it's an act of Patriotism. Really. He says that the Democrats forget that this is a government of, by, and for the people. No they don't forget that, Michael. The people elected this President and this congress TO DO THEIR WILL.

Okay, you didn't ask any of that. Nevermind. Joe Wilson molested your Labrador retriever!

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jillopy

^ Laughing Laughing

Joe Wilson ate my last piece of pizza! That bitch!

What his yelling represents is an overall lack of respect for the Presidency. Maybe we didn't do our best to respect W either. It needs to stop -- from all parties.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

I don't believe for one minute that Wilson "feels" this deeply. He deserves the same dismissive adjective that conservatives have loved to slap onto liberals all these decades: "knee-jerk."

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ginjg

He apologized for breaking decorum. He didn't apologize for what he said.

From the few photos I've seen, he looked as though he'd had several cocktails before the address.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
LostInWalmart

well he's at least half of a knee-jerk

The easiest way to derail progress is to make nonsensical arguments and pitch fits that draw everyone's attention from what actually matters. Well played, Congressman Lewis and the rest of the Republicans of Summer. Well played.

B

my 5 year old son yells out inappropriate things at inappropriate times, and I do not let him get away with it. Plus, he's 5. If I had been there I would have done what I do to my son, and shaken the motherfucker until he shut up. Wait, no that's not right. Never mind.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lavandula Girl

Not only is he a rude motherfucker, he apparently has poisoned my homing pigeons!

Did you all see the reports that the Democratic rival for his congressional seat got over 100,000 in grassroots donations after Wilson yelled at the president? I thought that was amusing.

I'm with Chris on this... ram that shit through, and deal with the fall out. Even if a few Dems lose their seats next year, the bill will be law. If it's really that important, some folks should be willing to fall on their swords for it.

PS - I'm pretty sure the guy who gave the Republican rebuttal used to do ads for suing hair club for men, or something. Dude was FLAT in his delivery, but apparently no high level Republican was willing to show their face to serve up this rebuttal. What a surpirse.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Rebuttal guy obviously didn't read the advance released copy or even listen to the speech. A rebuttal is supposed to directly address the points made.

Yes, ram it through. Ceding the corpropublicans (both R & BDd) deserve more power than their numbers merit is insanity.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
LostInWalmart

looks like Wilson is an old-school douchebag.

http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/09/10/obama-speech-disrupter-a-health-industry-darling/

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Tito

He should have just thrown a shoe. That would have been perfectly acceptable.

http://bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=16887&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=shoe&start=0

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Lavandula Girl wrote:
Did you all see the reports that the Democratic rival for his congressional seat got over 100,000 in grassroots donations after Wilson yelled at the president? I thought that was amusing.
Make that $650,000 and counting. If I recall correctly (I can no longer find the link, sorry) in the last election the rival only had $300,000 to spend total.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lavandula Girl

Yeah, my number was from relatively early last night. Maybe Wilson wanted a complete career meltdown. If so, thumbs up, Joe! Job well done.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Tito wrote:
He should have just thrown a shoe. That would have been perfectly acceptable.

http://bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=16887&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=shoe&start=0

2 Things

1) Joint Session of United States Congress ≠ Press Conference in Invaded Country

2)"We Should Fix Health Care" ≠ "It's Good We Killed 100,000s of your people for Imaginary Weapons"

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tito

chris wrote:
"We Should Fix Health Care" ≠ "It's Good We Killed 100,000s of your people for Imaginary Weapons"

It does if my premiums go up, dammit.

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: