Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Laws that seem like they shouldn't need to be written.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

What is more disturbing about New State Laws Banning Texting While Driving?
That the states see a need to control our every action?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
That there is even a need for such a law?
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
That states think this is important, but still haven’t created a law banning having intercourse with a goat while reading your favorite novel and eating hot soup with black paint covering your windshield while driving?
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Uptown_Toodeloo

Laws that seem like they shouldn't need to be written.  Reply with quote  

So what does everyone htink?

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:53 am   View user's profile Send private message
JustAGirl

Well, I'll tell you what I htink...

What I hate about laws like this is that I'm not convinced it's going to do anything to stop the problem. People who want to text while driving are still going to do it, even if they get caught and fined. I've gotten 4 speeding tickets and, obviously, I still speed. People continue to drink while drunk even after multiple DUIs.

What if texting drivers had a thumb cut off? Their choice - right or left. That might stop them.

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:22 am   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

How about "none of the above" for an answer. I expect the states to regulate licensed activity, of which driving is certainly one. From my understanding of the studies done, texting while driving results in a measurable degree of distraction that compares to that of driving while drunk.

One might argue that goat-fucking results in a similar degree of distraction. I would not be inclined to disagree. (For the record, my disinclination to agree is based only on theoretical knowledge and/or analogy.) On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be an explosion of goat-fucking while driving, and calling such out explicitly seems a waste of time. In addition, most drivers would admit their ability to drive is impaired while fucking a goat. I betcha there's a much higher percentage of folks who are saying "sure, I can text and drive with no increased risk."

I will also point out that there seem to be perfectly reasonable existing laws prohibiting goat-fucking, and banning such while driving is redundant. Should the police ever encounter such a situation, it (IMHO) would be adequately covered under existing laws concerning reckless driving.

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sean

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously people. Put the phones away.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 am   View user's profile Send private message
Uptown_Toodeloo

Well Sgt. Steve, I would add that category, but it won't let me. Sorry. Sad

Really my point is, why should this be necessary? Not that it isn't, seeing as how there are a lot of dumb fucks out there who would, and indeed do, text while driving. But why would anybody do that? I guess they must be thinking;

"Well, I am in control of a several thousand pound piece of equipment, that could be described as a rolling death machine, I guess I should do something that takes both of my hands and eyes to accomplish. I read a book last week, check my planer already...I know, I should just start texting!"

I don't really know. I do remeber watching a guy drive up the Jersey Turnpike a few years back, and he was one the phone with one hand, holding his planner with the other, while reading. And I would estimate he was clocking in around 80 mile per hour. I felt the presence of brilliance that day. This is the same kind of stupid thing.

And because it is soooo stupid, it seems like people would not do it. Which is why it seems to me that this type of law shouldn't be necessary.

And Steve? Your obvious fascination with goat fucking, well we will have to get to that on another thread. Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

I think there should be a law because plenty of dumbasses do it, and the police need a law in place that will sufficiently punish them, on the same level of DUI.

When the drunk rear ended us in Tennessee last month, after we were confirmed essentially ok, our main concern was making sure this douche was punished to the full extent of the law. He could have killed us all if I didn't see him coming, and he doesn't deserve the privelege to drive - ever again, as far as I'm concerned. You can hook up breathalyzers to cars to keep them from starting without blowing ok, but I bet you could have a friend blow for you. For anti texting, maybe a mini EMP could go off in the cabin of the car when you start it, destroying all electronic devices? The trick would be not destroying the car's electronic devices.

Maybe texting while driving douchebags could be put on a national TWD Douchebag list and cell phone providers would have to refuse to give them service for a certain amount of time? That would be a pretty good deterrent wouldn't it?

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

I heard that they could install technology on cars to disable cellphone use except in an emergency.

Anyway, if someone was texting while driving and killed me, I'd give them hell for it, for sure.

Mad

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sean

I think they should make anyone who wants to be able to text while driving buy one of those Smart cars. That'll provide balance to the equation. Go ahead and rear end me. I'll be buffing off your paint from my fender while firefighters are using the jaws of life to pull your dead remains from what's left of your car.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

So, you think there should also be a law against fucking camels on the roof in the rain?

Just asking... Razz

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Another Mooreon

Hey, that goat thing was supposed to be my own very private peccadillo...who's the spy?!

As for texting while driving (or using the cellphone for talking), yeah, it's very dangerous, but having a law on the books may only cause more accidents. In addition to taking their eyes off the road to text, they'll also be looking around for police cars!

The bottom line is that there are simply not enough police to prosecute the laws that are already on the books...so I guess we need a law that assigns everyone their own personal cop who follows you everywhere.

“If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.”

Charles Dickens (1812–70)

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:56 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Another Mooreon wrote:
[...] The bottom line is that there are simply not enough police to prosecute the laws that are already on the books. [...]

That's why there are the judges and the district attorneys. Wink

Anyway, if a texter or cell-phoner causes an accident, it's bound to go to court, regardless of how many cops are around.

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goudron

Another Mooreon wrote:
As for texting while driving (or using the cellphone for talking), yeah, it's very dangerous, but having a law on the books may only cause more accidents. In addition to taking their eyes off the road to text, they'll also be looking around for police cars!

As for drinking while driving, yeah, it's very dangerous, but having a law on the books may only cause more accidents. In addition to taking their eyes off the road to text, they'll also be looking around for police cars? (upspeak for feef's sake)

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
imonica

Actually, I don't believe too many of them will be looking around for police cars. People who don't believe they are doing something wrong do not behave in a guilty manner.

The drunk driver who hit me certainly wasn't looking around for the cops either, or he would have seen the cop car right behind him, getting ready to pull him over. Too bad the cop didn't stop him before he ran the red light and plowed into me. But hey, at least I had a cop as a witness. Rolling Eyes Dumbass drunk spent a year in prison. I get a lifetime of pain. Do you think he ever thinks about me and what he did to me? I doubt it. In fact, I doubt if he even remembers my name.

As far as I'm concerned, the laws aren't tough enough. If someone caused, say..the death of my child due to texting while driving, I might just impose my own sentence upon them. Obviously, the police can't spend all their time looking for people who are texting while driving, but the law will help them to prosecute people who do cause accidents/injury/death due to texting while driving. That's if they don't die in the accident too.

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
Uptown_Toodeloo

In many ways I don't think that comparing drinking and driving with texting and driving is a great analogy. Both severely impair your ability to drive, yes that is true.

Where I see a difference is that when most people drink and drive, their judgment is already impaired because they are drunk. The decision to then go and drive, though it is a really bad one, is made while this impairment is occurring. Not a good situation, not an excuse, but as we all know it happens.

Texting and driving, well these people aren't even drunk most of the time. They are within their "full" faculties, and competent to make correct decisions, and still don't make them. With that in mind, I almost think the punishments should be harsher than DUI. I like the “choose a Thumb” option posed by Just A Girl.

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Reckless driving should be the applicable law for all such behavior. What you're doing - Texting, DUi (alcohol or drugs), masturbating, getting a blow job, applying makeup, watching a movie, etc. - should determine the degree of penalty.

DUI should, at the very least, get your DL pulled. What? You say you're a truck driver? Learn to be a desk jockey.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: