Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Obama's Nobel Prize
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Does Obama Deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?
Yup
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Nope
86%
 86%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Tito

Obama's Nobel Prize  Reply with quote  

buh-bye.

Last edited by Tito on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Watching The Wheels

While it's exciting that Obama won, I say "no."
WAY too soon.

I don't think the promise of peace outweighs the actual delivery of that peace.

However, I take excepetion to the criticism that Obama has done NOTHING to deserve this award. I don't think that's quite true. He seems to be starting to lay the groundwork for that goal. If in 8 years he's accomplished his goals, then by all means he deserves the award.

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

He's done no less for that $1.4 million than a corporate CEO does for tens or hundreds of millions of dollars (with or without driving the company into the ground).

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ginjg

Low key private diplomatic conversations often go much further to diffusing situations than flashy summits and conferences. Obviously, the international community sees Obama as having made inroads toward calming the world situation in ways that aren't getting covered in the media. Unless it something sensational, the media is unlikely to even mention it.

Since we don't know about the "quiet diplomacy" he does behind the scenes, I'll reserve judgement for now.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tito

buh-bye.

Last edited by Tito on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Given that the nominations closed a few weeks after he was inaugurated, I mostly say no and voted that way in the poll. However, it's recently been pointed out to me that one of the stated purposes of the peace prize is to support the goals of those in positions to be effective, even in advance of the actions on those goals. Another is encourage others to support the efforts of recipient. OK, that might have been what they were thinking in this case. But I don't think that's good enough to give him the award instead of folks who are much further down their paths. For example, the Gates Foundation has done a huge amount of work that is well worth recognition.

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rob

Sudden, unexpected and arguably pre-mature - but deserving.

Just for shits and giggles, imagine we're all on a train. For YEARS now the majority of us have sat comfortably in our passenger cars, watching the scenery blow by in a blur, convinced we were going somewhere good simply because we were makin' good time gettin' there. Problem is, too many just reach for an "oh, shit" handle and hang on hopin' for the best every time
we take a hard turn on the tracks too fast, throwing sparks and tilting the entire train 'til that sickening spot in our stomach triggers and lets us know that we've just reached the outer fringes of balance and stability.
Somehow, though, the damn thing kept settling back onto the tracks in the long straight -aways, and we just kept shoveling coal to the furnace.

This train left the station LONG before President Obama made his way from the caboose to the engine. By the time he put the Engineer's hat on and got his hand on the throttle, it had been jammed WFO and was runnin' out of track. I got nothin' but admiration and respect for the man. He DAMN sure knows what he's doing. I have no doubt that even he's aware that he can't stop the inevitable train wreck coming - but he can slow it down enough to insure that there are more bumps and bruises than fatalities when the train cars start ass-endin' each other.

Having said that, I'm just jazzed to be standing a few Stations down the line, building sturdy bridges and holdin' my ticket waiting to climb aboard HIS train.

Is awarding him the Nobel now pre-mature? Maybe. But our current President strives to help more than he hurts on a daily basis, from what I see, which is a lot more than most people do these days. Especially politicians.

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rob

I haven't been here in awhile. How the hell does one completely delete a double post, rather than edit it back to something different like I'm doing now?
I'm not much on skills with my pc as it is - and I'm gonna be converting to Mac in about a week. God help us all.

Last edited by Rob on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goudron

Tito wrote:

His receipt of the prize reminds me of the conversation Travolta and Jackson had in the diner in Pulp Fiction:

Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You left out the best part:

VINCENT: So by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he's cease to be a filthy animal?
JULES We'd have to be talkin' 'bout one motherfuckin' charmin' pig. It'd have to be the Cary Grant of pigs.

Quote:
Obama's got personality. And personality goes a long way.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/obama-address/1163263/

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tito

buh-bye.

Last edited by Tito on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tito

buh-bye.

Last edited by Tito on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TheVeryMerryHempster

Premature, but not undeserved. The man has the potential to do great things, if only the toxic media, political cheap shooters and daft American public would let him.

Seriously, it's like herding cats.

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stewies Mom

Rob wrote:
But our current President strives to help more than he hurts on a daily basis

I work with a guy who wanted to be a doctor, but he still works in a grocery store. It kinda reminds me of wishes.

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Tito wrote:
Ginjg wrote:
Low key private diplomatic conversations often go much further to diffusing situations than flashy summits and conferences. Obviously, the international community sees Obama as having made inroads toward calming the world situation in ways that aren't getting covered in the media. Unless it something sensational, the media is unlikely to even mention it.

Since we don't know about the "quiet diplomacy" he does behind the scenes, I'll reserve judgement for now.

It's very early still but from what i've seen from the "international community" there's not a whole lot of support for his receipt of the prize. I think the near universal surprise that he got the award is telling.

His receipt of the prize reminds me of the conversation Travolta and Jackson had in the diner in Pulp Fiction:

Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Obama's got personality. And personality goes a long way.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/obama-address/1163263/

Obama has no personality.

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

First heard about this & my reaction was, "OK, cool, but why?"
but I'm with Ginjg, withholding judgement til later...

Tito wrote:
Goudron wrote:

You left out the best part:

VINCENT: So by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he's cease to be a filthy animal?
JULES We'd have to be talkin' 'bout one motherfuckin' charmin' pig. It'd have to be the Cary Grant of pigs.

I was going to leave it in, but didn't feel comfortable comparing him to Cary Grant. He's not quite there yet.

You gotta admit, he's got the ears for that comparison... Razz

FYI, according to the prophet, dogs are just as unclean as pigs-
ya want a clean animal with personality, stick with the kitties... Wink

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: