Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Here

Dark Poems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Starchild

THE TIME TRAVELER

Jared built a time machine
It was his pride and joy
He made it with tempered steel
That no one could destroy

He traveled through ancient Egypt
In the time of the Pharoahs
He met a girl named Marissa
She was lovely as a rose

He cared for Marissa deeply
But was prone to wanderlust
He promised her a ring from Greece
And in him she placed her trust

Marissa waited for him
She held on patiently
Jared would return someday
From the blue Aegean Sea

He traveled at the speed of light
And went from place to place
He thought of Marissa daily
The memory of her face

Jared wandered through Athens
A city that was older than time
He flew through Rome and Madrid
The Apennine Mountains he did climb

He landed in western Europe
Before the outbreak of the war
He tried to warn the residents
And felt a duty to implore

His machine went ahead in time
There was a whole new world to see
He landed in America
And met President Kennedy

He knew what he had to do
Although time was running out
Oswald was too quick for him
There was panic all about

In tears, he leapt ahead again
To an old German town
The year was Nineteen Eighty-Nine
The wall came tumbling down

When the concrete crumbled
There was cause for celebration
East and West excited
For their reunification

Jared celebrated with them
Before he journeyed to Africa
He witnessed riots in Cape Town
In a prison he saw Mandela

Then he made one final stop
Before his wedding in Egypt
A woman in the White House
Rehearsed a presidential script

Jared was a fledgling explorer
When met his Egyptian queen
He married Marissa in Cairo
And retired his time machine

Post Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Starchild

SPRING SESSION

It was a sunny, clear day at the end of April. Spring definitely had sprung. Erika Hansen tied her long blonde hair in a ponytail before she walked into her guidance counselor's office at Tristan College. After she knocked three times, Dr. Claire Young opened the door to let her in. They sat across from each other, and Dr. Young started the computer that rested on her cherry wood desk. Erika had one exam left to write in abnormal psychology. After that, she would finally be finished her degree. She could go backpacking in Europe or climb Mount Everest. Or so she thought.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news," said Dr. Young, "It's not something a girl wants to hear in her last semester of college."

"What is it?" asked Erika. "My grades aren't good enough to get into grad school?"

"No, it's not that. Your marks are great. You're just missing a social sciences elective."

"Really? That's not what Dr. Bane told me four months ago."

"Well, Lawrence was misinformed about a lot of things. That's why they fired him."

"This really sucks! I was supposed to graduate in June with my friends."

"Don't worry about it. You can take a class in Spring Session and still make it to convocation."

Dr. Young fished a course calendar out of her desk and handed it to Erika.

"I've heard that Family Sociology is an easy A. I don't know who's teaching it now. Dr. Schaeffer found herself a better job at NYU."

"Swell," said Erika. "I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip."

Erika traipsed home to her apartment in a disaffected mood. It was a block away from the college on the second floor of a sandstone complex called Madison Village. She shared the flat with a brunette named Lina Alvarez. They had become friends while they were working part-time at the Tristan Pharmacy. Erika was taking General Studies, and Lina was majoring in linguistics. Erika had lived with her boyfriend Shawn Gibson until his punk band was signed by a label in Florida just before the beginning of Erika's senior year. After he moved out of the apartment, Lina moved in. She needed some space from her over-protective parents and her bossy older brother, Ricardo.

"Hey, Erika," said Lina. "I saw some awesome grad dresses at Nordstrom yesterday."

"That's great. I just don't feel like shopping right now."

"Why not? Is something wrong?"

"I found out this morning that I was missing a class."

"That sucks. What are you gonna do?"

"Well, the counselor said if I take a spring course, then I can still graduate in June."

"If you took Spanish, then we could practise our dialogue. I'm fluent."

"No, I think I'm gonna take Family Soc. Dr. Young said it was easy."

"Then maybe I'll take it, too. I need something to boost my GPA."

"I checked the calendar. It's an evening class on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

"Cool. Sam won't mind. He can schedule us for day shifts and weekends."

On the evening of the first Tuesday in May, Erika and Lina sat in the front row of a main floor lecture theatre in the Humanities Centre of Tristan College. Their course confirmations only informed them of the room and time of their class. They still didn't know who was teaching it. Ten other students arrived before the class began at six o'clock. They waited a while longer before their instructor finally arrived.

At five minutes past six, a tall dark-haired man walked through the door. He was dressed in a light blue Armani shirt, navy slacks, and black wing-tipped shoes. His cologne smelled like a mixture of mint and lemon water. Over his shoulder, a black leather messenger bag was slung. He dropped it on a table in front of the class, and he wrote his name on the white board with a blue marker.

"Hi, everyone," he said. "Sorry I'm late. I'm your instructor for Family Sociology. Vincent Zito."

"Hey, weren't you the guy who played the organ at my cousin's wedding?" asked a red-haired girl in the back row."

"Yeah, that was me. Not that I would ever quit my day job."

"I thought I recognized you. That's so weird. You're really talented, by the way."

"Thanks, and your name is?"

"Anne Shelley. People always tease me and call me Anne of Green Gables 'cause of my red hair."

Vincent's hands were shaking slightly. Tiny beads of perspiration were forming on his forehead. He started speaking again with a bit of trepidation.

"Getting back to the course. You should pick up the Hammond text in the bookstore. There'll be two exams, a midterm and a final. You'll have a term paper due for the second last class on a topic of your choosing."

"You sound nervous," said Anne. "Haven't you ever taught this course before?"

"No, I haven't. You're very perceptive, aren't you?"

"I don't think he has a PhD," Lina whispered to Erika.

"He can't be older than twenty-five," Erika guessed. "Must be in the MA program."

"Is there something you were wanting to discuss?" Vincent asked the two girls.

"Nope, we're good," said Lina.

"Okay, let's get started on the first chapter," Vincent declared.

The next two days were uneventful. Erika and Lina worked at the pharmacy and went jogging beside the Tristan River in the evening. Like most best friends, they did everything together. Then, at five-thirty on Thursday evening, they walked to the Humanities Centre and sat in their Family Soc classroom. Vincent was on time for his second class. He was gradually developing a routine.

"All right, who read the second chapter?" Vincent inquired.

Half a dozen hands shot up in the air. Vincent looked disappointed, but he continued with his lecture.

"Well, it's crucial for you guys to stay caught up. Today we're gonna talk about the SMART paradigm. Does anyone know what that is?"

Anne Shelley raised her hand. Vincent nodded his head and motioned for her to begin.

"The SMART Paradigm is a framework for sociological research. It stands for Samples, Methods, Attitude of skepticism, Researcher bias, and Thorough understanding of literature."

"Very good, Anne," said Vincent. "It's important for samples to be random. If not, then your research is worthless."

"He sure doesn't mince words," Lina whispered to Erika.

"He probably gets by on his looks," said Erika.

"I bet all his female profs gave him straight A's."

"In a horizontal position."

The two girls started laughing. Vincent looked irritated. He stopped lecturing and pointed at Erika.

"I want to see you in my office after class."

Erika and Lina were silent for the rest of the class. The lecture turned into a two-way conversation between Vincent and Anne. After Vincent's exchange with Erika, everyone else was too frightened to speak to him. The class ended early at eight-thirty. While the other students filed out of the room, Erika stayed behind with Vincent. He tucked his papers into his messenger bag, and slung it over his right shoulder. Erika was absolutely petrified. Like a naughty child, she followed Vincent to his office on the second floor of the Humanities Centre. It was a small, sparsely-furnished room with white walls and a tiny window that overlooked the main quadrangle. Vincent shut the door, and they sat in plastic chairs across from each other at his steel utility desk.

"I'm new at this, Erika. I'm trying really hard to get my students to like me."

"I'm sorry I spoke out of turn in your classes. I won't do it again."

"It just feels like you don't respect me as a professor, or as an intellectual."

"No, you're wrong. You're a good instructor. Maybe I don't belong in your class."

"Don't say that. I never wanna hear you say that ever again."

"Okay, I'll do an extra term paper, if you want."

"No, that won't be necessary. I have enough to worry about with my dissertation and all."

"I need this class, Vincent. Otherwise I won't graduate."

"Well, since you put it like that, there is one way you can make it up to me."

"What is it? I'll do anything."

"Have dinner with me tomorrow night?"

"Have dinner with you?"

"Not like THAT. Just as friends."

"Okay, whatever you want, Vincent. Just name the time and place."

Erika gave Vincent her cell phone number. He called her the next day in the middle of her shift at the Tristan Pharmacy. She didn't have much time to talk, so he quickly decided to pick her up at five-thirty. Then he would drive her to the Ortensia Garden in his red Trans Am.

Vincent was a man of his word. He picked up Erika from Madison Village at five-thirty sharp. His black hair was combed neatly, and he wore a beige suit. Erika was dressed in a turquoise dress with a floral pattern and strappy sandals. Vincent parked in the back of the lot. He put on sunglasses so no one would recognize him. Erika went inside a minute before he did. They entered the Ortensia Garden separately because it was against the Code of Behavior at Tristan College for faculty to fraternize with students. Two minutes later, they were seated at a table in the Marquesa Room, which was a private enclosed area in the back of the restaurant.

The Marquesa Room had burgundy drapes and plush carpet. A crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling in the center of the room. Three large bay windows provided a breathtaking view of the Tristan River Valley. Vincent and Erika ordered Chicken Parmigiana with Caesar salad, tomato bruschetta, and white wine. For most of the meal, they ate in silence. In the background, classical music was playing on the restaurant's sound system. Vincent offered to pay for the whole meal, but Erika insisted on splitting the bill.

After dinner, they went to Vincent's apartment in Monaco Park, which was where the grad students lived. It was more prudent than being seen together in a public place. Vincent put on an Il Divo album. He also showed Erika the basketball trophies he won in high school and college.

"So you're a pianist who plays basketball," Erika said.

"Are you surprised?" Vincent asked.

"Yeah, I guess I am. You're an academic."

"Lots of academics are good at sports."

"What are you, six feet two? That's pretty tall for--"

"For a man of my ethnic background?"

"Okay, you got me. I've never been out with someone like you before."

"Can't you just act like you're having a good time?"

"You're my instructor. There's an imbalance of power here."

"You wanna hear some Beethoven?"

"Sure. I don't mind if you change the album."

"No, I meant I'm gonna play it for you."

Vincent turned off the stereo and walked toward the baby grand that stood beside the living room window. He lifted the fallboard gently. Erika sat on the bench beside him as he worked his way through the Adagio and the Allegro Finale of the Choral Fantasy. As Anne had mentioned earlier, Vincent was very talented. Erika wondered briefly why he wasn't teaching music or playing in an orchestra. After Vincent finished the piece, Erika applauded him.

"That was amazing," she said. "You should be performing somewhere important."

"The music industry is a terrible business. I'd much rather be an academic."

"Well, whatever makes you happy."

"It's getting late. I should take you home."

Vincent drove Erika to her apartment in his Trans Am. It was only a two-minute trip, but it was wiser than walking. They would definitely be seen together if they traveled to Madison Village on foot. Their tryst had only just begun, but it already felt dangerous. He tried not to squeal the tires as he pulled up in front of her building. Vincent wanted to kiss her, but he didn't dare. He simply said Goodnight, and drove away.

The next Tuesday, Erika and Lina bought their graduation gowns at Nordstrom. Erika decided on a lavender princess dress. Lina chose a strapless black gown with an embroidered bodice. After they tucked their gowns away in their apartment, they headed to the Humanities Centre for their third Family Soc class. They sat in the front row and waited for the lecture to start. Anne Shelley entered the room shortly after them. She had gotten layers cut into her long, red hair and piled on a little too much mascara and eye shadow. Someone was desperate to be noticed. At six o'clock, Vince strolled into the room and started a discussion of the third chapter in the Hammond book.

"So we have Conflict Theory, Functionalism, Structural Functionalism, and Symbolic Interactionism. Which one is right?"

Anne Shelley immediately raised her hand. She had changed her seat from the back row the second row. In fact, she was sitting immediately behind Lina and Erika. Vincent looked annoyed at Anne. Truth be told, he was getting tired of her.

"Let's hear from someone else today," Vincent said. "What do you think, Erika?"

"Who me?" she asked.

"Yes, you. Now's your chance to make a decision. Which theory makes the most sense to you?"

"Um, I guess it would be Functionalism. It's way more positive and optimistic than Conflict Theory. The family is just like any other system. When it breaks down, the parties attempt to recover and stabilize it until they reach an equilibrium."

"That was very well put, Erika. I couldn't have said it better myself."

Meanwhile, Anne Shelley was staring daggers behind Erika's back. All her efforts to look pretty for her favorite professor had been in vain. Another girl had stolen his attention, and probably his heart as well. Anne was secretly plotting a way to get back at Erika, and to win Vincent's affection.

Vincent later called on Lina and a boy named Tyler James. They debated the pros and cons of the other three theories. In the second half of the class, Vincent showed a video clip about the grudge match between Marx and Weber, who were the two champions of Conflict Theory. When the video ended, he told the class to read the fourth chapter. He flashed an anticipatory smile at Erika when she was leaving. It was an expression that said, "I'll call you."

"I've gotta go to the little girls' room," said Erika.

"Okay, I'll meet you back at the apartment." Lina told her.

Erika went to the girls' washroom down the hall from her lecture theatre. After she entered the first stall, she realized it was her time of the month. Luckily she always carried tampons in her purse. She slipped one in quietly and exited the stall. Then she washed her hands with the foamy white soap in the dispenser beside the mirror. She checked her makeup and straightened her blonde ponytail. At that moment, Anne Shelley entered the room. If looks could kill, then Erika would've been a goner.

"Are you fucking him?" Anne asked her.

"Excuse me?"

"You're sleeping with Vincent, aren't you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me, you bitch."

"I'm not sleeping with him. He's my professor, for God's sake."

"Yes, you are. And after I gather all the evidence I need, you're gonna get expelled, and your loverboy is gonna get fired."

Anne scowled at Erika before she left the ladies' room. Although she was two inches shorter than Erika, Anne was positively frightening. Erika's hands started shaking and her throat went dry. She exited the facility slowly and cautiously. The hallway was empty. There was no one in sight. The sun was beginning to set as she walked home along Campus Drive until she reached her apartment. For most of the night, she dreamt about Anne of Green Gables brandishing a kitchen knife at her.

Erika went out with Vincent again the next Saturday. They drove out of the Tristan city limits and spent the day hiking in the mountains. Fortunately, no one from the college saw them. After they ate lunch at a Mongolian restaurant, they spent the afternoon on a trail in the back country. They walked for two hours before they sat down on a huge boulder beside an immaculate waterfall.

"I just find it hilarious that an Anne of Green Gables doppelgänger is obsessed with you," said Erika.

"She told me once after the first class that she auditioned for the part in high school, but it went to some other girl. She was depressed about it for months."

"I don't know if that's sad or funny."

"Maybe it's ironic. She looks just like Anne Shirley. Maybe a little too much."

"I'll bet L.M. Montgomery is rolling over in her grave--with laughter."

They chuckled at the thought of Montgomery. Erika fell off the rock and landed in a patch of wet grass. Vincent stood up and helped her back on her feet. Her pale blue eyes were hypnotic. He found himself leaning toward her, but then backed away out of respect.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have done that," he said.

"Don't be sorry," she replied.

The weather was warm, but not too hot. They kissed each other beside the rock at the waterfall. It was a secluded location. There was no one else around for miles. They made out intensely for a whole hour. There was a lot of necking and petting, but no actual sex. They weren't animals.

At three o'clock, they headed back to Vincent's car, which was parked at the entrance to the Tristan Falls National Park. By that time, they both needed to use the outhouse. It was a small wooden structure that resembled a log cabin. Although it was putrid and full of insects, it served its purpose.

It was an hour-long drive back to the city. When there was silence, it wasn't uncomfortable. Erika never felt pressured to make conversation with Vincent. Outside of class, he was slightly reserved and sometimes reticent. He was blessed with a high intelligence, but he never came across as a know-it-all. As Vincent drove along the highway, they listened to an Arctic Monkeys album on the Trans Am's stereo.

"What is this thing anyway?" Erika asked him.

"Why don't we just call it going out? I hate labels."

"I lived with someone until August of last year. I dated several guys after him, but nothing serious."

"Everyone has a past. If you didn't have one, then I'd be worried."

"What about you? I'm surprised you're not engaged or something."

"I was, but we split up. I'd rather not talk about it."

"Maybe we could see each other secretly, but not get serious until the end of the semester."

"We could do that, unless you get tired of me, or you hook up with Tyler."

"Baby-faced Tyler? I don't think so."

Erika turned up the volume on the stereo. "Do I Wanna Know?" emanated vibrantly from the speakers. She put on her Ray-Ban sunglasses and rested her head on padded leather upholstery of the passenger seat while Vincent floored the gas pedal.

Erika did exceptionally well on her midterm in Family Soc. She had some private tutoring at Vincent's apartment the night before. They ended up in bed together, but they didn't make love. It still felt wrong. He was her professor, after all. If they had done the deed, then there would be nothing to look forward to, and one of them might want out of the "thing" that was not quite a relationship.

In the first week of June, Anne Shelley showed up for class with blonde highlights in her hair. On top of it, she also started dressing like Erika. She was in full battle mode. Anne didn't have any friends in the class. When she wasn't plotting or scheming, she was sitting by herself in the lounge on the main floor of the Humanities Centre.

Erika decided to write her term paper on stepfamilies. Lina, however, was preoccupied with sexual assault because she had been molested by her soccer coach when she was twelve. They worked on their papers in the campus library in the last week of the Spring Session. It took a while to churn out twenty pages double-spaced, but they both managed to finish their assignments a day ahead of schedule.

On the day of their second last class, the two girls sat in the back corner of the Tristan College cafeteria. Their papers were bound and ready to be handed in. They ate turkey sandwiches from the lunch counter and talked about backpacking in Europe. Although Lina knew about Erika's relationship with Vincent, they never discussed it in public. Lina was Erika's best friend and confidante. She knew how to keep a secret.

Erika and Lina finished eating at five-thirty. They were ready to go to class. But before they left, Anne Shelley saw them and glared in their direction. She was carrying an empty glass bottle in her right hand when she passed their table.

"Dipshits," she mumbled under her breath.

"What did you call us?" Lina asked.

"Sorry, let me rephrase that. The dipshit and the slut."

"What is your problem?" Erika demanded.

"I don't have a problem. I'm smart, so I don't have to fuck my professors to get good grades."

"You don't know what you're talking about," Lina said.

"I hate blondes so much!" Anne exclaimed. "Why do they always get all the attention?"

Anne started crying. The other two girls didn't know what to do. They had never seen Anne break down in the two months they had known her. For a brief second, Lina considered giving Anne a hug. But before Lina could make a move, Anne broke her juice bottle on the table that the girls' books were spread upon. She held the broken neck of the bottle up above her head. Then she brandished it at them while they gasped in horror. Since it was the Spring Session, there was no one else in the back corner of the cafeteria. Most of the other students were working at their temporary jobs or traveling the world.

"What do you want from us?" Erika screamed.

"You don't know what it's like to be me," Anne said. "My red hair is such an embarrassment."

"That's not true," said Lina. "I think it's very pretty."

"I couldn't get the lead role in Anne of Green Gables, even after everyone teased me about it."

"It doesn't matter," Erika told her. "You were meant for better things."

"Like what? A job at Wal-Mart? In case you didn't know, an arts degree doesn't get you very far these days."

"You need to calm down and put the bottle away," Lina said.

"Fuck you two! Fuck this stupid college! Fuck Vincent!"

Anne plunged the jagged neck of the bottle into both of her wrists. She began bleeding profusely. Her blood was pooling in a circle around her legs. Lina and Erika ran to the security booth on the main floor of the college. They told the guard to call for an ambulance. Anne was rushed to the Emergency Room of the Tristan Memorial Hospital. Two weeks later, she was transferred to the psychiatric ward for an indefinite period of time. She never graduated from college.

Meanwhile, the Dean informed Vincent about his student's unfortunate fate. Vincent discussed Anne's self-destructive behavior with his class in the context of Chapter 16, which dealt with family violence and tragedies. There were high-resource families and low-resource families. Anne Shelley's dysfunctional family belonged to the latter category. Her parents were divorced when she was five as a result of her father's infidelity. Anne's mother raised her and her older sister by herself with little support from her alcoholic ex-husband. Their household failed to meet its members' requirements for communication, nurturance, and emotional support. Those unmet needs contributed to Anne's downfall.

Family Sociology ended two days later. Erika and Lina wrote their final exam and passed with flying colors. After the test, they filled out all the necessary paperwork to receive their degrees. Vincent was almost finished his dissertation, and Anne was in a safe place where she wasn't a danger to herself or her fellow students.

Erika continued to see Vincent after the conclusion of the course. He attended her convocation in June. They consummated their relationship two hours after the ceremony. It happened in the bedroom of his main-floor apartment in Monaco Park. He was a gentle lover. She was on the pill, but he still took all the necessary precautions. It felt like the first time for both of them, even though it wasn't. Waiting was a wise decision. It made the adventure all the more pleasurable. As with most life-changing events, it was the journey that mattered, not the destination.

Post Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Starchild

THE TROLLS

Puffy, Scruffy, and Duffy were trolls
They lived on a grassy old Hill
The three of them dined on pork poutine
And draught beer from the Barley Mill

Puffy was dressed in beautiful clothes
Her outfits were fit for a queen
Scruffy doted on his ponytail
And Duffy was on the small screen

They lived a very pampered life