Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> BITE ME: A Love Story

Did I Miss Something? *SPOILERS*

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
No1451

Did I Miss Something? *SPOILERS*  Reply with quote  

Finished the book a few days ago and I was re-reading to see if I missed something:

What causes Elijah to go crazy? I am really feeling like I missed something, they mention his lucid moments, and yet during You Suck he seemed reasonably sane(as can be expected for a nearly millennia old bloodsucking creature of the night).

I really wish I could lasso Moore into Ottawa so I can pick his brain, but I guess I'm gonna have to settle for another, or at least a character crossover that illuminates this a bit(who else would love to have a book spanning some of Elijah's exploits over the years?)

Anyway, what gives with this?!

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wonko

I've only read it through once, so far, so I don't remember if there was somewhere in the book that specifically stated this, or if it was just the way I interperated various lines, but I got the impression that the centuries of social isolation had manifest itself in sociopathic behavior. I think there was a line near theend which put it something like: 'he got so bored he no longer cared if he lived, or rather, survived.' In actuallity his turning Jodi was one of the first signs of this because he broke his own rules so he could have a companion. By the time he turned Chet, he was around the bend so far that he didn't care what the consequences might be, he did it because he thought it might bring him some entertainment. Also, if you're already starting to go loopy from boredom, being locked away in an isolation chamber would certainly be enough to push you off the edge into full blown lunacy.

like I said, I don't know how much of this was actually stated in the book(s) and how much I formulated on my own, but that was my take on the 'what made Elijia go insane' question.

Here. [hands No1541a salt shaker] Use all you want.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
No1451

Makes a fair degree of sense to me, he did seem a little loopy when he was diving into the bay. Wouldn't it be grand if Mr Moore would weigh in(unlikely Smile), I hate unanswered questions Sad.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

No1451 wrote:
Wouldn't it be grand if Mr Moore would weigh in(unlikely Smile),

AG often posts/replies to posts, so not that unlikely. Very Happy

Wonko's theory's a good 'un - plus I'd assumed the trio of terror had locked Elijah's arse up as soon as they got him so maybe that sped along his fury-fueled crack-up?

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
No1451

Sephonae wrote:
No1451 wrote:
Wouldn't it be grand if Mr Moore would weigh in(unlikely Smile),

AG often posts/replies to posts, so not that unlikely. Very Happy

Wonko's theory's a good 'un - plus I'd assumed the trio of terror had locked Elijah's arse up as soon as they got him so maybe that sped along his fury-fueled crack-up?

Your ideas are pleasing, I thought I had seriously missed something(though this means no re-read, yet).

The thing that doesn't really bear out the notion of him already being on the brink(with regards to his breaking rules and turning people) makes me wonder: what about the other vampires that the last of the trio makes note of? She seems to imply that they aren't isolated individuals at all, despite my inference from BSF with Elijah failing at turning people successfully(and mentioning having to kill them).

Any thoughts? Feel free to be confused, my thoughts are sort of rambling thanks to statistics being forced into my optic nerves at 8:20am.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

It makes sense that, if the trio survived, Elijah'd have successfully turned others as well. It's left a bit fuzzy, and maybe that's deliberate (or maybe it didn't occur to the AG to explore that further or he didn't think it relevant to the story).

Too, in this mythos it's not necessarily true that Elijah was the origin of all things vampy. We never get his back-story in detail, which could make for crazy fun good times, if the AG ever wanted to go there. Very Happy Hey, AG, is Elijah hawt? I totally wanna picture him as Trent Reznor industrial alternative chic hawt.

And, thinking further about the original question in this thread, I think Elijah was just superly pissed at being deprived of his liberty. I forget; had they set up some weak UV lights in his cell to prevent him from misting? Cuz if that's true, he'd've been bored, bored, booooooored (and consequently PISSED!!!) (And I probably would be too.) (Who am I kidding; I already am!) Laughing Cool

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
No1451

Sephonae wrote:
It makes sense that, if the trio survived, Elijah'd have successfully turned others as well. It's left a bit fuzzy, and maybe that's deliberate (or maybe it didn't occur to the AG to explore that further or he didn't think it relevant to the story).

Too, in this mythos it's not necessarily true that Elijah was the origin of all things vampy. We never get his back-story in detail, which could make for crazy fun good times, if the AG ever wanted to go there. Very Happy Hey, AG, is Elijah hawt? I totally wanna picture him as Trent Reznor industrial alternative chic hawt.

And, thinking further about the original question in this thread, I think Elijah was just superly pissed at being deprived of his liberty. I forget; had they set up some weak UV lights in his cell to prevent him from misting? Cuz if that's true, he'd've been bored, bored, booooooored (and consequently PISSED!!!) (And I probably would be too.) (Who am I kidding; I already am!) Laughing Cool

Yeah they had a low power UV LED stopping him from misting. I really hope that his past not being examined in any great detail means a possible book about his past/origins or at the very least a different book that has some sort of crossover/meeting with him that better enlightens us. Perfectly possible seeing how much AG seems to like crossing characters into later books.

Trent Reznor is how you saw him? Hmm, I pictured him as a dour sort of lanky middle-aged guy. Good for me, I'm not sure I'd describe Trent Reznor as hawt;)

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

No1451 wrote:
Trent Reznor is how you saw him? Hmm, I pictured him as a dour sort of lanky middle-aged guy.

Dude, you just totally described Reznor! Very Happy

No1451 wrote:
Good for me, I'm not sure I'd describe Trent Reznor as hawt;)

That's fine - you can leave that to me.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
No1451

First picture, yes, second picture...not my taste(not that it matters since I'm straight I guess).

We need the wisdom of the Author Guy, please to bestow upon us much wisdom, that Sephonae may continue on with her dirty dirty thoughts

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: