Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Painted Myself Into a Corner
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

Painted Myself Into a Corner  Reply with quote  

So I have written myself into a corner with my current project. Every time I look at it I think "Holy God, how the hell am I gonna get out of this?" And in past instances, when I have successfully navigated my way out of the corner with a good outline and it comes time to put it to paper, I usually sit down, look at the computer and say "Holy God, how am I gonna make this work?" Usually if I stop bitching about it and actually write, things don't turn out half bad, but it takes a couple of days to convince myself that it's alright write something that sucks just to get the story done.

Does this ever happen to anybody else? If so, how do you deal with it?

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wingnut

Hey, I have an idea. Why don't you stop bitching about it and get your ass to work? Laughing Laughing

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
sugarraydodge

Wingnut wrote:
Hey, I have an idea. Why don't you stop bitching about it and get your ass to work? Laughing Laughing

Don't you know me at all? I have to complain about something for at least three weeks before I actually DO anything about it. I'm like Congress in that way, only with the words three weeks replacing the word forever.

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

SRD:

You just described my daily work regimen. Srsly. No, srsly.

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

chris wrote:
SRD:

It's comforting to know that I'm in esteemed company, then. Smile

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

sugarraydodge wrote:
chris wrote:
SRD:

It's comforting to know that I'm in esteemed company, then. Smile

I usually serve steamed company with vegetables. Mr. Green

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
lisa

You go back 5 chapters or so to the last action scene and write out 5 more diversions and possibilities. What kind of a question was that.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

Have you tried opening a window? Wink

Post Tue May 04, 2010 1:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
simba major

What is your story question? What does your MC want? Is the answer yes or no? Maybe you're running into troubles because it's a little wishy-washy in that department.

If you get that much in your head, you should be able to work out the particulars.

Post Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

simba major wrote:
What is your story question? What does your MC want? Is the answer yes or no? Maybe you're running into troubles because it's a little wishy-washy in that department.

The MCs are two vampire FBI agents who just got knocked out by the Minotaur who works for a japanese man who kidnaps women, downloads their brains into robots and then kills them. I need to figure out how they escape and beat the bad guys without adding a fourth element into the mix. Vampires, the Minotaur and Robots are enough insane elements for a 12,000 word novella... Razz

Post Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
simba major

sugarraydodge wrote:
simba major wrote:

The MCs are two vampire FBI agents who just got knocked out by the Minotaur who works for a japanese man who kidnaps women, downloads their brains into robots and then kills them. I need to figure out how they escape and beat the bad guys without adding a fourth element into the mix. Vampires, the Minotaur and Robots are enough insane elements for a 12,000 word novella... Razz

That's it?

So simple!

The two vampire FBI agents are also robots.

*mumbles a la decrepit Elvis* "Thank-you, thank-you very much."

Post Wed May 05, 2010 6:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

I had a similar problem at the start of my project where I found myself in a place that I couldn't work with, so, being near the start of my story, I changed the rules and magically, everything worked out. Of course, that's a dangerous thing to do as the reader might think the scenario a little too incredulous, but it worked for me.

Basically, "place A" turned out instead to be "place B" and B was much easier to get out of than A.

Post Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wonko

Depends on what "rules" you have set up... In many books, the FBI agents don't have reflectionsbecause they have no souls... or maybe that's vampires... whatever... perhaps a similar thing can prevent brain downloads. If you haven't used that rule, perhaps part of their FBI initiation was a 'brain firewall' to prevent unauthorized downloading, or some sort of virus/worm/malware that destroys any equipment that tries unauthorized donloads and alerts the FBI to the malicious activity...

Yeah, these ideas pretty much suck, and I guess you didn't ask for help, anyway, sorry... forget I said anything.

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

You know what's missing? Ninja rats on Harleys! Twisted Evil

Just kidding, it's already been done...

Post Thu May 06, 2010 2:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

Thanks for the suggestions. I still haven't found a simple way out of this one. I may just have to pull a major Deus Ex Machina out of my butt...

Post Sat May 08, 2010 6:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: