Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Painted Myself Into a Corner
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jinxted

Well then it becomes crystal clear.

Send your MC's through limbo to meet up with you, this will only take about 10,000 words (bonus by adding bulk between the covers) then have them convince you to re-write the problem by giving them a multi-national corporation that dwelves into the space/time continuum and can create a totally cool BAG (Big Ass Gun) in which the MC's fry the weenies off of the bad guys and unfortunately causess you to kill the tragically foreshadowed doomed character, (although for a mere 2500 added words you leave a easter egg for the MC'ss that allows the above mentioned doomed boy/girl/platypus {whatever} a new life all over again with no real sadness)

Please incorporate this into a 8 or 9 part story, but please make it last 15+ years.

I hope this has helped, Laughing

Post Mon May 10, 2010 8:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
LadyJewelleah

zendao42 wrote:
You know what's missing? Ninja rats on Harleys! Twisted Evil

Just kidding, it's already been done...

Hey now... Those are the main characters in my novel!!!! Laughing

Post Mon May 10, 2010 11:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

I just finished an outline to gets me out of the story. (Spoilers follow, if anybody cares.)

The Minotaur helps the vampire FBI agents escape, and they all fight through an army of robot celebrities together. After which the Minotaur and his robot wife join a traveling circus where they meet Elvis Presley, who is also a vampire, and they all live happily ever after. The end.

Done and done! Very Happy

Post Tue May 11, 2010 6:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jinxted

It's almost like you were peeking into my skull man!

Post Tue May 11, 2010 6:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
sugarraydodge

Everybody can rest easy now! The story is finished... a good month after I intended it to be finished and a good 2,000 words longer than I intended it to be. I originally wanted this to be my April 2010 short story and its length was not to exceed 12,000 words. It is now 14,000 words and its incredibly convoluted and nonsensical, but I still like it and am proud of how it all turned out. It's called Dial M for Minotaur. The editing process should be fun. Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. It was much appreciated Smile

Last edited by sugarraydodge on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon May 17, 2010 10:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boota

When I have that problem I take off walking and I walk until I figure it out. My brain seems to work better when my body is in motion.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
simba major

Boota wrote:
When I have that problem I take off walking and I walk until I figure it out. My brain seems to work better when my body is in motion.

A good walk fixes just about eveything.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
Wingnut

simba major wrote:
Boota wrote:

A good walk fixes just about eveything.

Too bad our walk is a naughty Alaskan. Laughing

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Boota

I have two cars, but I walk because I like it and I walk to work out story issues. A friend saw me walking in the rain one day and stopped to offer a ride, but I turned him down. He said, "Come on, get in. It's pouring." I said, "Dude! Leave me alone! I'm writing!"

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mxlemore

I can't remember who this quote belongs to: "When the story starts going south, bring on the man with the gun."

Maybe it's applicable in your case. Smile

Hush, Hush, My Love is now available for Kindle, Nook, and other formats from Smashwords for free! You can view it here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/50564

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

Re: Painted Myself Into a Corner  Reply with quote  

sugarraydodge wrote:
So I have written myself into a corner with my current project. Every time I look at it I think "Holy God, how the hell am I gonna get out of this?" And in past instances, when I have successfully navigated my way out of the corner with a good outline and it comes time to put it to paper, I usually sit down, look at the computer and say "Holy God, how am I gonna make this work?" Usually if I stop bitching about it and actually write, things don't turn out half bad, but it takes a couple of days to convince myself that it's alright write something that sucks just to get the story done.

Yeah, I'm this exact same situation again. I only have one more section to write for my current 12k word story (that's the standard word count for short stuff I have been using for the last two years,) and it happens to be the resolution to everything that has happened. I have NO clue how I'm going to get out of this. You'd think I'd learn and actually have a plan as to how to end the story, but that has only ever happened ONCE.

P.S. Sorry I haven't been around lately. Life has been a mad scramble lately with trying to figure out what to do with my life and whatnot. I'm starting pharmacy school next month, so we'll see how far I get before I get bored or start hating it. Funtimes.

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

How long you last in pharmacy school depends on whether you sample the products... Twisted Evil

As for the ending, just do the thing that nobody'd ever expect! Wink

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

zendao42 wrote:
How long you last in pharmacy school depends on whether you sample the products... Twisted Evil

As for the ending, just do the thing that nobody'd ever expect! Wink

I was able to finish this last story, and when I did I "closed the book" on four years worth of creative effort. November 2006 through October 2010 I wrote three 50k word short novels, then three 12k word supplemental chapters for each novel. The final word count for each book stands at 85k, which adds up to 255k canonical words in four years. Not too shabby, if I say so myself. I learned a lot and developed a distinct writing style with a unique voice.

With all that under my belt, the goal for book 4 is for it to be 100k words, making it my first proper full-length novel. And even though it's harder than ever to even get an agent or publisher to even talk to you, I want to make this next book something that could be seriously considered for publication. A bit pie in the sky at this point, but I don't have a lot to lose at this point, so I may as well try.

...and I also cannot wait for Pharmacy School to start. It's a month away, but that still seems like an eternity. Ever since I left the Army and came back to Utah I have been bored out of my mind. It'll be nice to actually have something to do again. By this time next year I should have my certification. Hooray for me, I guess.

Post Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

Hooray indeed! Cool

I'm about ready to kill for some time to stay home & sleep but I vaguely remember boredom... Wink

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lilcoget

Re: Painted Myself Into a Corner  Reply with quote  

sugarraydodge wrote:
So I have written myself into a corner with my current project. Every time I look at it I think "Holy God, how the hell am I gonna get out of this?" And in past instances, when I have successfully navigated my way out of the corner with a good outline and it comes time to put it to paper, I usually sit down, look at the computer and say "Holy God, how am I gonna make this work?" Usually if I stop bitching about it and actually write, things don't turn out half bad, but it takes a couple of days to convince myself that it's alright write something that sucks just to get the story done.

Does this ever happen to anybody else? If so, how do you deal with it?

The interesting thing about real life that you can apply to a situation like this is- it keeps going. There is no completely static, neat reality where you can really paint yourself into a corner and just be stuck there indefinitely. Eventually you need to eat or pee, or smoke a cigarette, or someone comes looking for you, or just comes in and wants you to get out so they can bloody well start moving in. If your story really has a bonafide unchanging corner of doom, then you need to go back and inject some reality into the situation.

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: