Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Wanna bet...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Wingnut

Wanna bet...  Reply with quote  

..the shit's gonna hit the fan over this?

First Artificial Life

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
FattyFattyPorkFace

Bah, it's barely articificial. They took an empty organic cell (not artificial) and then synthesized DNA into the sequence of an existing organism (DNA real, sequence real, method of construction artificial) and put them together.

That's like 99% natural and 1% artificial at best. Now, when the sequence is made up by people, that will be shit/fan/collision time.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mllefifi

First artificial life?

It's been done already.

Ever heard of Ann Coulter?

Shocked Wink

Post Thu May 20, 2010 2:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tito

mllefifi wrote:
First artificial life?

It's been done already.

Shocked Wink

And Hillary Clinton before her.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 4:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
simba major

mllefifi wrote:
First artificial life?

It's been done already.

Shocked Wink

Hey, I like Anne Coulter.

I don't agree with everything she says, mind you.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 7:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wingnut

simba major wrote:
mllefifi wrote:
First artificial life?

It's been done already.

Shocked Wink

Uh oh.

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Thu May 20, 2010 7:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Sephonae

Shields up! Code red! Set phasers to "WTF???"

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

simba major wrote:
mllefifi wrote:

First artificial life?

It's been done already.

Shocked Wink

Better give us the recipe you're using to make her palatable & invite us to the BBQ, just saying...

Post Fri May 21, 2010 1:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jinxted

I dont think she could be tenderized enough, she would taste all stringy and narrow-minded...

Although whacking at her with a meat hammer could wile away a couple afternoons, and I mean that in a whack whack whack way not the hump hump hump way.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Another Mooreon

simba major wrote:
mllefifi wrote:
First artificial life?

It's been done already.

Shocked Wink

My strong recommendation is that you recant this statement immediately, and blame it on sleep deprivation or something equally understandable.

If not, be prepared for the wrath of the boardello, and possible banishment. Evil or Very Mad

Also, a word of caution...keep to yourself any favorable comments about the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Michelle Malkin, etc. Laughing

Post Fri May 21, 2010 6:25 am   View user's profile Send private message
simba major

Another Mooreon wrote:
simba major wrote:
mllefifi wrote:
First artificial life?

It's been done already.

Shocked Wink

My strong recommendation is that you recant this statement immediately, and blame it on sleep deprivation or something equally understandable.

If not, be prepared for the wrath of the boardello, and possible banishment. Evil or Very Mad

Also, a word of caution...keep to yourself any favorable comments about the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Michelle Malkin, etc. Laughing

Okay, I have no idea who Michelle Malkin is.

I think that Rush is a buffoon, but I like a lot of what Coulter and Beck have to say.

I'm going to be serious here for a moment:

Politically, I'm all over the map: far left on gay marriage, gun control and healthcare . . .

Decidely to right on some other issues and a little to the right of center on most things.

I think that liberals are good people who are trying to make the world a better place - I really do, most of them, anyway. (I loved Ted Kennedy; I would even go so far as to say that he's my hero.) I believe more or less the same thing about people on the right. (But I loathed Nixon.)

That's me - can't change.

I like the bordello, I really do.

So if liking Anne Coulter or the others is really a problem, no-one has to banish me. I'll do "the decent thing" all by myself.

It's all good.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Good bye! Farewell! Ciao!

*waves*

(aside) It's always bad omen to call oneself lion.

What? nothing. nothing. Bye! Bye!

Post Fri May 21, 2010 11:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sephonae

lisa wrote:

*waves*

::snorts::

But seriously, simba; I don't understand how anyone with even only half a heart can find anything to like in the hate-speech of a Coulter or a Beck.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
simba major

Sephonae wrote:
lisa wrote:

*waves*

::snorts::

But seriously, simba; I don't understand how anyone with even only half a heart can find anything to like in the hate-speech of a Coulter or a Beck.

Lisa, I wanted to go for ursa major, but then I thought, "I'm a Leo . . ."

Do you mean it? Sad

Sephonae, I don't find it hate speech. I do find it unequivocal and sometimes strident, but not hateful. Again, just so's I don't create a false impression, I don't agree with everything they say.

For example, I think that:

- gay marriage should be allowed
- guns, especially hand guns and definitely automatic weapons should be much more rigidly controlled. Carrying a handgun around on your hip should be illegal for everyone but the cops.
- I once heard Afghanistan described as "Vietnam for slow learners" which seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.
- Iraq was and is madness
- healthcare should be taken over by the goverment along approximately Canadian/British lines
- and a few other left of center positions

That said, I also think that:

- affirmative action is a mistake
- I'm not convinced that gay adoption is a good idea (except in a few well-defined situations), but I'm still thinking about it
- immigration policy is in great need of reform, especially for reasons of national security
- I'm not convinced about the extent of global warming or that what climate change exists is anthropogenic

I hope that doesn't bother people.

And as I said, if it really bothers people to have someone who holds those views around, I am quite willing to take them elsewhere.

Like I said before, I think that there are lots of good people on both the left and right who are trying to make this a better world, each in their own way.

I think it was Helen Keller who said that she believed that everyone, deep down, was basically good, and I believe that.

So, yes, I like Glenn Beck and Ted Kennedy both.

And Anne Coulter's hot.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Another Mooreon

^ We are not all bleeding-heart liberals here, although I do think most of us are somewhat left of center.

However, I fear you're suffering from pollyannaism if you truly believe there are any redeeming qualities to either Beck or Coulter.

They are both complete and utter hypocrites who will say or do anything, including outrageous pandering to the uneducated masses, in order to increase their power and enrich themselves.

We really don't want you to leave as there are way too few of us as it is, and we really are very tolerant of many diverse views. Unfortunately, the mention of Coulter in any favorable light whatsoever really pushes buttons here.

If you can forgive our biases, I'm sure most can forgive yours. Smile

Post Fri May 21, 2010 1:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: