Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Lemon/Cilantro poached Salmon

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Wonko

Lemon/Cilantro poached Salmon  Reply with quote  

Okay, this is my first foray into the cookbook, I hope it's okay... I made this while house-sitting, so, apart from the lemons and cilantro, I had to use what was there.
I have a tendency to not measure things, so I hope you can get an idea of the amounts from the pictures.

Lemon juice
White wine or water (if desired)
Cilantro
Salmon
Pepper
Salt (if desired)

I start with about this many lemons that I picked the day before from my mom's tree. (if you like, you can replace half the lemon juice with white wine or water) I didn't have wine available to me, and I don't mind the strong lemon flavor, so I used that many lemons...

About this much cilantro picked the day before from my mom's garden.

That's about one pound of sockeye salmon fully thawed

Chop the cilantro and set aside about half of it to use as a garnish

Combine half the cilantro with the lemon juice and wine in a frying pan large enough for one layer of salmon: bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Carefully add salmon skin side down and salt and pepper to taste (I usually use a lot of pepper and no salt, but that's up to you)

When the liquid returns to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit for about ten minutes per inch of thickness.
* Alternative cooking method *
This method is a little faster, but you need to be more careful to prevent overcooking.
When the liquid comes to a boil, reduce to simmer and add the fish. Salt and pepper to taste. cover and allow to simmer for about five minutes per inch of thickness.

When fish is fully cooked, place on plates and add remaining cilantro as garnish.
Serve with your favorite side.

My personal favorite side with this dish is wild rice with the remaining juice used as a sauce to pour over it.

This recipe makes two servings, (I'm just a big, fat pig and used this meal as two.)

Post Sat May 29, 2010 2:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jinxted

I have a salmon filet from lk michigan in the freezer, was going to use my tinfoil butter/lemon-pepper method but i'll give this method a go.

Post Sun May 30, 2010 9:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: