Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Inevitable gun control discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FattyFattyPorkFace

Inevitable gun control discussion  Reply with quote  

This is to accompany the News & Noise thing I just posted.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sugarraydodge

I'm going to go with my standard "We need to get the guns away from criminals, and law abiding citizens should be allowed to have as many guns as they want" response. It really is the best policy.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:15 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
imonica

Except that the guy who just killed 12 people here was a law abiding citizen up until the day he killed 12 people. Having said that, I'm ok with guns used for hunting or home defence, as long as they aren't something you would see regularly on a battlefield, or something more than what the average policeman/woman would carry. (The criminals shouldn't be able to out-gun the police, damn it!) Every person who buys a gun needs take courses to pass a written and practical test on gun safety. They should have to qualify again at appropriate intervals, just like the police do. Obviously, no one with a criminal history or psychological problems should own a gun, and there needs to be a review for these things at appropriate intervals, too.

The horrible incident in Cumbria might have been prevented if anyone thought to do regular checks of gun owners in Britain. There aren't that many of them, for pete's sake! And more murders might been prevented if the first three cops who came upon this killer had been armed. Can't really say for sure, though, can I?

It's not a foolproof system, which I'm certain any victim's family would say is an understatement. And I've had a gun pointed at me, so I know how effin' scary it can be. Still...I think about the countries where only the military and/or police carry guns (and criminals), and I think I'm too paranoid to go that far and ban them all.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

I agree that people who own guns need to be trained and proficient with them. Weapons in the hands of untrained individuals is an extremely dangerous thing. Hell, there were people in the Army who I felt really had no business carrying a fully loaded weapon. I'm not saying I'm perfect or even an expert, but I have confidence in my ability with any firearm I choose to pickup and know that I won't accidently kill myself or someone else. If I kill someone, you can bet for damn sure I did it on purpose and that it was fully justified. I believe that weapons are to be respected. They sure as hell aren't toys. It bothers me when somebody even points a toy gun at me, and I get all pissed and have been known to shout "point that goddamn weapon someplace else before I feed it to your ass!" What can I say?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

Quick question: Do you know anybody that hasn't had psychological problems?

Yeah, me neither, just saying...

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
imonica

There would be a check of their medical records (even the ones from when they were a minor) to see if they have had mental problems. Having each applicant take a new psych evaluation test would be good to. Those are harder to beat than you think. Yes, that would probably rule out a LOT of people, depending on what problems they have/had.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
girlEgirl

everyone over the age of five should carry a gun, and once you hit the double digits you should get to carry an automatic weapon with armor piercing bullets! see if we can't get back down to a nice reasonable 2-3 million...

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FattyFattyPorkFace

Everyone should wear a bulletproof vest.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
girlEgirl

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
Everyone should wear a bulletproof vest.

won't help, with my armor-piercing bullets . Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
simba major

Hardly anybody NEEDS a gun abd nobody ouside the military needs a handgun or an automatic weapon.

So many tragedies!

Ban them.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

Go ahead and give 'em yours.
If I have any I'm keepin them. Smile

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
simba major

I would never have a gun in my house.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

Good, they make too much noise anyway. Wink

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
girlEgirl

me neither, drug,s yes. guns, no. not because i'm especially opposed to them, but just like with cars, i just have very little interest in them. i'm not big intro shoes or bacon either. (like everybody else is..) and i don't like sex or feel compelled to be in a relationship. nope all i ever cared about were kids (well mostly calico), animals, books, and my dope. not exactly in that order... Twisted Evil

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FattyFattyPorkFace

simba major wrote:
I would never have a gun in my house.

Me neither, I can never fit my dick in the barrel.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: