Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

AG & e-books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kar98

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/technology/internet/12digital.html?_r=1&src=sch

To this day, no pirate touches Harlan's stuff.

Post Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sgt_steve

Kar98 wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/technology/internet/12digital.html?_r=1&src=sch

Nonsense. demonoid.com is a popular torrent site; most days they're open to the public. I just looked; they have 21 Ellison works.

Post Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wingnut

simba major wrote:

"You mean you don't want to give me my music and my fiction just for the - the love of creating it? What kind of a phony, wannabe artist are you, anyway?"

Reminds me of this, for some reason:

TOOL - Hooker With a Penis wrote:

I met a boy, wearing Vans, 501s,
and a dope beastie-tee,
nipple rings, new tattoos,
that claimed that he was OGT,
back from '92, from the first EP.
And in between sips of coke
he told me that he thought we
were sellin' out, layin' down,
suckin' up to the man.

Well now I've got some advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man,
and if I'm the man, then you're the man, and he's the man as well
so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass!
All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
and then you bought one.
I've got some Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man.
If I'm the fuckin' man then you're the fuckin' man as well,
So you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass!

consume,
be fruitful,
and multiply

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
and then you bought one!

All you read and Wear or see and Hear on TV
Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar.
So ... Shut up and
Buy, my
Buy, my
new record
Buy, my
Buy,
Send more money
(Fuuuuuck you, buddy! 4x)

Sort of relevant, and sort of a threadjack, but whatever.
Laughing

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Boota

I like what Jason Newstead said about Metallica selling out: "We sure did. We sell out every arena, every night."

I know people who think success equals failure. If you become popular enough that a lot of people like you it means that you're not the real deal.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kar98

sgt_steve wrote:
Kar98 wrote:

Nonsense. demonoid.com is a popular torrent site; most days they're open to the public. I just looked; they have 21 Ellison works.

And only one of them actually is a book by him, and I have my suspicions about that one.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Boota

A new wrinkle has arisen in my view of the Kindle, and eBooks in general. A writing site I frequent is going after an "author" on Amazon who is publishing through Kindle. The thing is, she isn't publishing ANY of her own work. She is stealing stories off of the writing site and putting them out available for the Kindle through Amazon and pocketing the money. Very prolific writer, too. She has about 85 titles out, anthologies. She sure put them together quickly.

I hope she and anyone else involved in this dies a horribly prolonged and painful death. Hopefully via rhino rape, but I'll take what I can get.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kar98

Well, the obvious path would be to contact amazon about it.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Boota

That's been done.

As far as I know nothing I have written was stolen by her, but I'm wondering what kind of legal footing those affected have. There should be very good sales records through Amazon with which to determine how much she made. My personal feeling is that she should be crushed beyond recovery, but I never get what I want.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Taco Bob

I'm assuming the writing site has checked Smashwords and other ebooks as well to see where she's been. The other ebook sites pay a larger percentage than Amazon's Kindle.
Scary how a lot of ebook sites will publish anything you submit - anything. Got a 10 page "book" of your grocery lists? Most of those ebook sites will publish it and give you money from every sucker who buys it.
Supposedly, Amazon is going to start paying twice what they were to publishers for ebooks. I think the book has to already be a hardback or paperback, and I'm sure it's because of competition, not because Amazon got tired of making too much money on each ebook and wanted to "share". Rolling Eyes
If this does actually happen, I'll be making more per Kindle ebook at $3.99 ea than the trade paperbacks at $12.00 ea. Confused

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

I'm not sure how far the site administrators have gone at this point, but they are known for going above and beyond in support of the authors who post on their site.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

This seems to belong here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2258054/pagenum/all/#p2

chris wrote:

Writing is like sex; first you do it for love; then you do it for a few friends; and finally you do it for money. -Moliere

Shocked
I may have done the sex thing backwards... Wink

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kar98

Interesting:
http://paulocoelhoblog.com/pirate-coelho/

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: