Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Let's discuss immunization
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginjg

Let's discuss immunization  Reply with quote  

Did your parents invest in your shots? So you invest in your kids shots? We've got a Pertussis wave in California; three infants have died.

The parents I've known who didn't immunize their kids (I used to own a preschool and ran several prior to that) always said the danger of their kids catching those diseases was small. Of course that's due to the fact that most people do get their children immunized.

Some said it was because of the "autism risk", but repeated studies have shown there's no difference in the rate of autism in immunized and unimmunized populations.

The odd thing is that those same parents thought nothing of immunizing their pets.

What are your thoughts?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
lisa

Power shut down is artificially imposed by "First World" countries on India. We have three hours power failure every day.

Touted to become the leading World Power with One Rupee equaling one dollar in 2014, our production has dropped to less than a quarter as industries are unable to function.

On the cheerier note the power failure affect storage of vaccination so all those who were vaccinated between 1990 and 2000 have turned into super life forms as the vaccines have developed super bugs in heated storage and empowered us.

We are on our way to becoming some Super Power or the other.

I highly recommend vaccines that have rotted and putrefied.

Nah. We are not Autistic. But we got Microsofted.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vahlee

I'm all for immunizations. Recently the main science guy who was behind the whole "immunizations cause autism" said that he was wrong only after having his research methods and such completely debunked by his assistants and partners. He was skewing evidence to support his own agenda. So there is no quality data out there that links immunization with autism.

Personally, I think it's irresponsible not to get your kids immunized. Yeah, these diseases aren't as frequent as they used to be, but that's because, like you said, of all of the other immunized children. So when there is an outbreak of measles, mumps, or ruebella, if your kids isn't immunized, he or she is going to get it.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Go smallpox! Woo hoo!

Wait. Whut?

Nevermind.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

lisa wrote:
Power shut down is artificially imposed by "First World" countries on India. We have three hours power failure every day.

Touted to become the leading World Power with One Rupee equaling one dollar in 2014, our production has dropped to less than a quarter as industries are unable to function.

On the cheerier note the power failure affect storage of vaccination so all those who were vaccinated between 1990 and 2000 have turned into super life forms as the vaccines have developed super bugs in heated storage and empowered us.

We are on our way to becoming some Super Power or the other.

I highly recommend vaccines that have rotted and putrefied.

Nah. We are not Autistic. But we got Microsofted.

Ha! I remember when they asked about that. And I was all, yeah, fuck India, let's cut their power three hours a day. That will teach them to make vindaloo that makes my poop chute burn!

On a brighter note, did anyone see these frogs getting married in India!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/584864-frogs-get-married-summon-rain

Take that, same sex marriage advocates! You try and gift-wrap a fly.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
simba major

We can thank vaccination for ridding the West of polio, etc., but some of these seasonal vaccinations that are rushed into production for the latest flu variant whcih come out with the collusion of legislators passing laws to protect pharma giants from being sued for any reason are potentially troubling.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

THIN THE HERD.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message
simba major

fortune cookie wrote:
THIN THE HERD.

Would you volunteer?

Just askin'.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

simba major wrote:
We can thank vaccination for ridding the West of polio, etc., but some of these seasonal vaccinations that are rushed into production for the latest flu variant whcih come out with the collusion of legislators passing laws to protect pharma giants from being sued for any reason are potentially troubling.

Oooh, I get to be the word police today!! Vaccine and vaccination are in the same class as saying kleenex instead of tissue.

Inoculation and immunization are now more accurate terms. The terms vaccine and vaccination were coined in the 18th century when injections of cow pox were first used to inoculate against small pox. Since we don't inoculate against smallpox any more, there isn't an actual vaccine in regular use. Of course, anyone under about 38 is vulnerable.

I agree with you about rapidly developed inoculations for seasonal viruses. In recent years, only friends who got the flu were the ones who took the flu shot

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
fortune cookie

simba major wrote:
fortune cookie wrote:
THIN THE HERD.

Would you volunteer?

Just askin'.

We haven't reached the point of Idiocracy, yet.
When we do, yep.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
girlEgirl

fortune cookie wrote:
simba major wrote:
fortune cookie wrote:
THIN THE HERD.

Would you volunteer?

Just askin'.

We haven't reached the point of Idiocracy, yet.
When we do, yep.

or they could just legalize suicide. Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
imonica

In order to create "herd immunity", something like 95% of the population needs to be immunized. If you get pockets where the trend leans to non-vaccination, even those who were vaccinated stand a chance of infection. That's why we were lined up and given shots for certain diseases in school back in the 1970s. They were trying very hard to rid the US of these potentially deadly illnesses, and now we've got people who are willing, not only to put their own children at risk, but everyone else's, too.

Let me give you an example. The children in the US have been getting the Chicken Pox vaccine for...what, about 8 to 10 years now? Chicken pox is rarely deadly, but often has a tendency to shut down entire schools, or at least it did when I was a kid. Anyway, my daughter got her Chicken Pox vaccine when we were still in the US. We moved here, and what happens? She ends up getting Chicken Pox. The vaccinations for it here only started last year, I think, and most of the kids in her class had not been immunized against it. Now, imagine if none of them had been immunized against Small Pox, Polio, etc.

There was an outbreak of measles in Wales last year. I'm sure you could easily find articles to read where the parents of the children who were infected were interviewed, if you care to. Some of the parents of infected children said they didn't believe in immunizations before that. They sure as hell do now.

I love y'all, and I totally respect your views in most cases, but I can't even joke about this. Sure, we could reduce the population by not following a good immunization program, but you need to remember that your kids and grandkids would be at risk, too.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
girlEgirl

i think some vaccinations are necessary, but some like chicken pox and flu shots are less vital unless the individual child has specific health issues that put them at risk for not surviving the common symptoms. it seems like they are coming out with new ones every year, and my personal experience is that most every time calico got one as an infant, he developed serious cold and flu symptoms accompanied by a high fever.

now i'm really not that good at research. IE;too busy/lazy to bother, but i have heard compelling arguments and statistical evidence for both sides. plus since the pharmaceutical (hey i spelled that right without spell-check!!!) industry and western medicine in general is so powerful as to be able to publish more "evidence" than naturopaths (sp?) and holistic practitioners and what-not , i'm not sure that i would be able to access anything relevant or new.....

in general i have definitely heard some good reasons and had some personal experiences to be careful about weighing the benefits/dangers of each and every immunization, but then again i usually find gingj's opinions on these matters, to be carefully researched and annoyingly reasonable , and in fact im positive she knows more about it than me, i'm not even gonna try to debate this issue too much with you gingj! Smile

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
imonica

I agree that the flu and Chicken Pox vaccines aren't necessary, except maybe in the case of people with certain health problems. I wouldn't even worry so much about any of them were it not for the amount of international travel that goes on these days. But you will find that measles, polio, and the like are still killing people in places like Africa and Asia, and even parts of eastern Europe. Since people from these places do travel to western countries, and vice versa, the risk of spreading disease certainly exists. The Red Cross is working around the world to make sure as many people as possible have access to vaccinations, inlcuding Africa and Asia, because their children deserve to have more of a chance, too.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

Re: Let's discuss immunization  Reply with quote  

Ginjg wrote:
Did your parents invest in your shots?

All my kiddie shots were paid for by the east German national healthcare system, and I still got the shot book. Came in handy to still have that too.

Quote:
What are your thoughts?

If you're one of those anti-immunization nuts, even just a little, you're no better than spoonbenders, snakehandlers, UFO spotters and silver nitrate lickers. And you're a despicable leech.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: