Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Thanks for clearing that up Mr. President
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sean

Thanks for clearing that up Mr. President  Reply with quote  

All this time I was under the impression that the Statue of Liberty was a gift to our country from the France, when it was Emma Lazarus that should have been given the credit all along. If this is what he meant by changing history, I guess he's a man of his word.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
simba major

Re: Thanks for clearing that up Mr. President  Reply with quote  

Sean wrote:
All this time I was under the impression that the Statue of Liberty was a gift to our country from the France, when it was Emma Lazarus that should have been given the credit all along. If this is what he meant by changing history, I guess he's a man of his word.

"The France"?

What was that about irony you were saying in the other thread? Razz

Who's Emma Lazarus, anyway?

Last edited by simba major on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

didn't hear the speech, but Emma Lazarus wrote "The New Colossus" which is the sonnet on the statue of liberty from whence "give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free "

Her parents were jewish immigrants; she was a well known poet and a protege of Emerson's.
She was involved in immigrants welfare causes, and served on a committee to raise funds for the base of the statue. She wrote and donated the poem in 1883, at the encouragement of a friend, as one of many items auctioned to raise the money for the base.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
simba major

Ginjg wrote:
didn't hear the speech, but Emma Lazarus wrote "The New Colossus" which is the sonnet on the statue of liberty from whence "give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free "

Her parents were jewish immigrants; she was a well known poet and a protege of Emerson's.
She was involved in immigrants welfare causes, and served on a committee to raise funds for the base of the statue. She wrote and donated the poem in 1883, at the encouragement of a friend, as one of many items auctioned to raise the money for the base.

And Obama is invoking her to get amnesty for illegal immigrants?

That would figure.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

I'm thinking we're all good on poor, huddled masses now. Send more rocket scientists.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sean

simba major wrote:
Sean wrote:

"The France"?

What was that about irony you were saying in the other thread? Razz

Who's Emma Lazarus, anyway?

You caught me. I typed "the French" first and then changed it to France without rereading. Anyway, here's the portion of Obama's speech:

"It was at this time that a young woman named Emma Lazarus, whose own family fled persecution from Europe generations earlier, took up the cause of these new immigrants. Although she was a poet, she spent much of her time advocating for better health care and housing for the newcomers. And inspired by what she saw and heard, she wrote down her thoughts and donated a piece of work to help pay for the construction of a new statue the Statue of Liberty which actually was funded in part by small donations from people across America."

I'm sure he meant to say that the donations were used to construct the base of the statue, but he didn't.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
simba major

I found this:

Quote:

Perched in the ivory tower for a few minutes, the president invented a whopper about the origins of the Statue of Liberty and the famous poem about it by Emma Lazarus. Mr. Obama took the story of a monument donated by France for that republic's own propagandistic purposes and a poem its own author didn't want to write and turned them into a morality tale on behalf of illegal aliens.

According to Obama mythology, Lazarus was a driving force behind Lady Liberty. "Years before the statue was built - years before it would be seen by throngs of immigrants craning their necks skyward at the end of a long and brutal voyage, years before it would come to symbolize everything that we cherish - she imagined what it could mean," he said. The truth, however, is that the statue was almost finished when she penned the poem, which she didn't do because she was "inspired" but because she was talked into it - after first refusing to write the verse - by a literary colleague named Constance Clay Harrison.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/2/at-liberty-with-the-truth/

I always said that Obama was just another oily Chicago politician who cynically saw that "change" and "hope" were the flavors du jour, and I've seen nothing to change my mind about that, much less this story.[/url]

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Jinxted

Sean wrote:

I'm sure he meant to say that the donations were used to construct the base of the statue, but he didn't.

I'm sure would have had he been briefed of the details or if the speech writer had included this factoid in the writing.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Jinxted

simba major wrote:

I always said that Obama was just another oily Chicago politician who cynically saw that "change" and "hope" were the flavors du jour, and I've seen nothing to change my mind about that, much less this story.[/url]

I have developed a system of being able to tell when a politician is lying to me, I instituted this system about twenty years ago when politicians would have life or death decisions on my life since I enlisted in the Army at 20 yrs of age, there were no real good methods for me to get a CJ degree to become a cop then except for military service, since the the CIC of this made it a habit to lie to me.

oh yeah...The System: If a Politicians lips are moving he/she is lying.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
simba major

Foolproof.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

Jinxted wrote:

oh yeah...The System: If a Politicians lips are moving he/she is lying.

AMEN!

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Jillopy

Kar98 wrote:
I'm thinking we're all good on poor, huddled masses now. Send more rocket scientists.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:37 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Kar98 wrote:
Says the immigrant

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Thanks, you guys. I needed a reason to ignore the board all together.

I understand you are entitled to your opinion. You understand why I wouldn't want to be around you, right?

No need to respond. No one's there.

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
simba major

Deleted post

Last edited by simba major on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: