Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

which is worse?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
girlEgirl

which is worse?  Reply with quote  

telemarketing or spangeing? (pan-handling, spare-changing, begging...ect)

i personally see them both as equally difficult forms of fund-raising usually only done by people that have little to no other employment choices (while in no way arguing the profit potential of the second one.)

having done quite a bit of both, but only making a consistent and high "wage" with the latter, my opinions on these two obvious nuisances, and how to deal with/or prevent them are somewhat offbeat.

PSSSTTTTT DON'T TELL CHRIS ABOUT THIS HERE THREAD .....since he just asked me not to get all nostalgic and whatnot about my "back when i was a gutter urchin experiences"

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

Re: which is worse?  Reply with quote  

girlEgirl wrote:

PSSSTTTTT DON'T TELL CHRIS ABOUT THIS HERE THREAD .....since he just asked me not to get all nostalgic and whatnot about my "back when i was a gutter urchin experiences"

What's it worth to you?

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
simba major

Telemarketing is more hateful. I mean, the creeps can strike when you're asleep in your bed or, youknow, doing . . . other things.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

simba major wrote:
Telemarketing is more hateful. I mean, the creeps can strike when you're asleep in your bed or, youknow, doing . . . other things.

like having dinner ... Wink

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
simba major

Laughing

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 am   View user's profile Send private message
Jillopy

Spangeing. You can't hang up on them. Razz

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 am   View user's profile Send private message
Tito

buh-bye.

Last edited by Tito on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tito

buh-bye.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fortune cookie

Laughing Laughing Laughing ^

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Ya know, I always said that I'd rather folks go on welfare than work as telemarketers... Razz

Vahlee wrote:
simba major wrote:

like having dinner ... Wink

We already have a cat in the garage that yowls whenever we eat & ringing phones make me stabby... Evil or Very Mad

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

i always feel so bad for people who find themselves trying to sell shit over the phone in this economy. which is why i try to interrupt and or prevent their spiel as promptly as possible, so that i can wish them luck but also advise them of my financial status, and the fact that i can't afford new underwear for myself, let alone a time share in cabo, a subscription to the seattle times, or even a small but desperately important contribution to the southwestern tribes living in shocking poverty right here in the u.s.!!!

i am fortunate enough to have the whole welfare mother excuse, which usually embarrasses said solicitor, into mumbling an apology and hanging up. and in general these people are just trying to meet their quota so that they can pick up their drug of choice, and try not to think about where they went wrong in life. (incidentally if you are ever looking for a new and affordable connect, then a local phone bank can be almost as reliable as landscapers)

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tito

buh-bye.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vahlee

toddlers are great for telemarketers

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

Tito wrote:
girlEgirl wrote:
i always feel so bad for people who find themselves trying to sell shit over the phone in this economy.

You might as well feel bad for muggers.

you mean like people that are so desperate for money that they steal from another human being? i do. but not for people who open fast food franchises near grade schools. or liquor stores next to housing projects.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
imonica

Telemarketing is a suck-ass job, and unfortunately, one the the sort of jobs that many unskilled folks have to take. I give them credit for having a job, at least. I always try to be civil to them, unless they start to get pushy after I've told them that I'm not interested.

As for pan-handlers, they better stay the f**k away from me. When I was 18 and had just moved to the city, I met a woman who was asking people for money to feed her kids. I felt so bad for her, because I knew what it was like to go without food, and how it made my mom feel when we had nothing to eat. I only had $20 to feed myself that week, but I gave the woman $10 anyway. About a week later, I saw the woman on the news in a segment about how people make loads of money conning the public this way. She and two men had been busted doing that crap, and weren't living in poverty at all. As you can imagine, I was super pissed!

Over the years, I heard about other people who made a very good living at pan-handling. Certainly making more money than I was. One guy bought a freakin' house with the money he scrounged. He wasn't at all embarrassed to admit it, saying "Why should I work if I don't have to?" And then, there's the guy my hubby and I used to see in front of the supermarket here. He would stand there and beg for a few hours, openly using a very expensive cell phone to call his pals while he was "working", then hop into his new car when he was happy with the amount of money he'd made.

It's not that I don't feel for people who are truly desperate. The problem is that I can't often tell the difference between the ones who really need help and the ones who are just lazy-ass scammers. So I don't handle them approaching me very well, to say the least. Particularly in this country, where they have a system that makes it unnecessary for anyone to be homeless or without food.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: