Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

DADT shenanigans

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kar98

DADT shenanigans  Reply with quote  

This article pissed me off.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2010-07-12-column12_ST1_N.htm

So here's a novel thought. Read the 2nd Amendment:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

So besides stating the right of the people to keep and bear arms, it could also just as easy be interpreted to also mean, that everybody has a right to defend his or her country, no? And with much less twisting and turning than saying it guarantees that every Tyrone, Dick and Harry may keep a Lorcin in his desk drawer.

Discuss Very Happy

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

The article you linked spoke of gays in the military affecting the religious
freedoms of some chaplains.
Nothing of the 2nd amendment.
As far as the article you linked, some chaplains are okay with homosexuality.
Some aren't.
I would think the servicemen would eventually figger out for themselves,
which service they want to attend.
If they are going to censor what the chaplains have to say about homosexuality,
they would have to censor, what jewish and muslim clerics
have to say about it as well.
I would think everyone being an adult and all.
That you would normally gravitate towards the spiritual message that speaks best to you.
Pretty much a nobrainer.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

Right right. My point was, since the article makes that infantile assertion that allowing gays to serve would infringe on the first amendment rights, then you could just as well say that the second amendment rights of aforementioned gays are infringed upon if they're not allowed to.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

Aaahhh. Okay.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

As a registered Republican and 10 year Army Veteran with 2 combat tours and a Gold Recruiting Badge under my belt (not to blow my own horn or anything, but I think that these things give me at least some weight when speaking about matters of the military) this is where I stand with Don't Ask/Don't Tell:

While I agree that a great many people are still uncomfortable (to say the least) with the concept, American society has largely grown to accept homosexuality as part of our culture. Such it is with the Army. When I was overseas, there were quite a few of my fellow soldiers whom were widely known (or speculated) to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, whatever. But here's the thing: their sexuality didn't completely define them. It didn't matter and nobody cared. They are just as capable to perform their duties and serve their country with distinction without having their sexuality play a part in the mission. And why the hell should it have? They performed their duties side-by-side with straight soldiers with no problems. They have as much right to be a part of the team as anybody. Don't Ask/Don't Tell has outlived its usefulness. Let these Americans serve their country as simply that: Americans. There is no need to keep this barrier up any longer. The OMG! TEH GHEYS! barrier we have created is petty and unnecessary for the times we live in. American Soldiers are adults, and its time we started treating them as such.

Edit: Just read the USA Today article. A lot of that stuff is crystal ball speculation. Religious freedom in the Army wouldn't suffer. Chaplains and religious soldiers will still have their freedom to believe and worship however they want. I really can't see how somebody else's sexuality would have an impact on a person's or group's freedom of worship. Apples and oranges, y'know.

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jinxted

[quote="sugarraydodge"]As a registered Republican and 10 year Army Veteran with 2 combat tours

quote]

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say Thank You!

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: