Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Polly want a cracker??
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bleu

Polly want a cracker??  Reply with quote  

I have been accused in the past of parroting when it comes to politics..I don't see it as parroting; I see it as there are those out there who can express a point of view or opinion similar to mine more eloquently than I can myself (I recognize that I have limitations). I read the Politics forum here quite often, choosing to hold my tongue and just learn by observing instead blabbering my mouth out of turn or with ignorance...

This journalist points out some very interesting facts; some to which I have had questions about myself. I am posting this for the purpose of discussion ...

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/07/president_haters.html

http://bleueyedgirl.blogspot.com/

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Kar98

tl;dnr

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

That's some pretty inflammitory stuff, there. Shocked
The author indeed cites sources and they seem credible.
I get a sense of satire as well as the reporter not liking the president himself.
Since when do you have to like the president, to do a report on him?
So what, is so...tl;dnr?
I would indeed like to see an explanation of why Oklahoma dosen't qualify for disaster assistance.
Or why voter intimidation cases are dropped by the DOJ.
Especially when the the prosecution got a favorable judgement in a peliminary hearing.[/i]

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

fortune cookie wrote:

So what, is so...tl;dnr?

Too long; did not read.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ginjg

fortune cookie wrote:
I would indeed like to see an explanation of why Oklahoma dosen't qualify for disaster assistance.
FEMA's only supposed to step in when it's determined that the locality is over burdened AND such things as no insurance (except in designated flood areas where you're required to have flood insurance) Other states including Connecticut and Ohio were refused FEMA recently as well. OK got FEMA in Dec '09, May '10 (Fiscal 2010 = Oct '09 - Sept '10) And there's that Stafford Act passed in 2007 - under W's watch that defines the criteria to be eligible. All of which boils down to:

Evaluating a Request for a Major Disaster Declaration
Quote:
Federal law provides that a finding must be made that an incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond state and local capabilities and that Federal assistance is necessary. In addition, Federal law restricts the use of arithmetical formulas or sliding scales based on income or population as the sole basis for determining the need for federal disaster supplemental aid.

A number of factors are evaluated in reviewing a Governor's request. The primary factors considered include:
Amount and type of damage (number of homes destroyed or with major damage);
[list]Impact on the infrastructure of affected areas or critical facilities;
Imminent threats to public health and safety;
Impacts to essential government services and functions;
Unique capability of Federal government;
Dispersion or concentration of damage;
Level of insurance coverage in place for homeowners and public facilities;
Assistance available from other sources (Federal, State, local, voluntary organizations);
State and local resource commitments from previous, undeclared events; and
Frequency of disaster events over recent time period.
For Public Assistance only -- Per-capita impact for FY2008 - $1.24 for States; $3.11 for Counties/[list]
The very nature of disasters-their unique circumstances, the unexpected timing, and varied impacts-precludes a complete listing of factors considered when evaluating disaster declaration requests. However, the above lists most primary considerations.

Any one or combination of those could have resulted in a denial.
fortune cookie wrote:

Or why voter intimidation cases are dropped by the DOJ.
Especially when the the prosecution got a favorable judgement in a peliminary hearing.[/i]

Black Panther Voter Intimidation in Philly?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
fortune cookie

But to say unequivically "NO", and cite no reason for it?
As for the overburdoned... this happened in an historical "no flood area".
Those folks had no flood insurance.
Because the area isn't supposed to flood.
You'ld think there would be a need for assistance in that situation, I would.

As for the not "New Black Panthers"...what the fuck are they; WHOEVER they are, doing directly outside a polling area with a friggin NIGHTSTICK?
Give me a break. Berets, Black leather Jackets, Jackboots and a fucking NIGHTSTICK.
If they aren't meaning to imtimidate...what EXACTLY are they doing?
I cannot comprehend how ANYONE can be okay with that kind of bullshit.

What if they looked like asshole Neo-Nazis outside the same area?
Would you be just as cool with that?
NOBODY has ANY business "hanging out" outside a polling/voting area.
P E R I O D.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Trust me, I wasn't defending anything, just giving unbiased links. There's been a big push on partial reporting and deliberately out of context, meaning changing, editing going on lately. These days I take everything with a boulder of salt.

- According to the Stafford act, Overburdened refers to City, County and State resources, not individuals. I haven't time to check on the "unequivocal no without explanation". There's likely an official report on the decision to be perused somewhere on fema's site.

- I once complained about and got a fellow rousted for loitering, wearing campaign buttons (some for my candidate) and electioneering in front of my polling place.

~~~~~~~

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goudron

The reporter comes across as an assertion slinging douche, IMO.

Quote:
The Economy - Obama has made the same errors as FDR in his first term, without FDR's charm and earnestness to make up for it. Without even grasping that they were errors, for that matter. Of course, giving most of the stimulus money to the same financial industry that kicked off the crash was a brilliant ploy. We have to admit that worked.

The stimulus started under Bush. Who was offering a solution that didn't involve bailing out the banks?

Quote:
The Border - A state under siege attempts to reimpose order through accepted legal means, and Obama's response is to unleash Eric Holder, the only person in the country (possibly even the galaxy) more arrogant than he. This is going to haunt him.

"accepted legal means" - the point of opponents is the means are not accepted. What is he saying here besides that he thinks Obama and Holder are arrogant? There's no substance whatsoever.

Quote:
Health Care - Even now, the chicks are coming home. The system is starting to go, four years before anything will be ready to replace it. A former colleague of mine was told this week that her doctor will no longer accept Medicare. She lives in New York City, not friendly to Medicare patients in the best of times. She is understandably distraught. That story is being repeated across country in thousands -- perhaps hundreds of thousands -- of cases. And what is O's Plan B? You tell me.

No references. Again, exactly wtf is he talking about? His friend's doctor is a jerk? Where would we be without the healthcare reform bill? Any less fucked? No explanation of what his mind is telling him is happening.

Quote:
The Gulf - During the worst ecological disaster of the era, as all levels of his administration repeatedly fumbled the ball, Obama golfed, partied, listened to Paulie Beatle, and went on vacation no fewer than three times. Let them eat cake!

His tone could have been much different, but what could he have done to change the outcome? No explanation of who fumbled what balls. BP's commercials saying "look we're making this right" focus on the cash Obama told them they needed to put aside for relief.

The reporter obviously hates Obama, but he isn't very good at explaining why.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kar98

If you're a doctor refusing to accept patients because you don't like their insurance, we're calling up your student loans. NOW.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

All of the above acknowledged and agreed with.
Still left standing with no clarity. No Claret either.
The Governor of Oklahoma hisowndamnself, didn't get an explination why.
The mind boggles; at the attempt to reason, why a slam dunk case
would be dropped by the DOJ.
If this were Bush era, we'ld ALL be screaming henious fuckery most foul!
I know Obama walked into a shit storm. But he did so willingly.
He also said he had a plan....well, I'm waiting Mr. President.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 am   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

I'm curious. What are you exactly expecting the President to do? He's never going to do a single thing. You are all such wonderful expecting people.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

Oh I don't know...grow a spine?
Actually accomplish something other than further running up the national debt.
CHANGE things from SOP?
I know, how nieve... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

You do know that considerably over half of the national debt is owed to ourselves - Social Security and other Trust Funds? SS, Medicare and the federal employee pension fund are actually nowhere near insolvency - their charters were written such that any funds not dispersed had to be "loaned" to the general fund until such time as needed. It's just moving money from your right pocket to your left then telling everyone you're broke.

Then there's the pentagon budget - They're saying they don't need specific bases and equipment yet being forced by congress to continue them.

The president is only head of the army, Head of foreign policy and and CEO of the federal programs congress decides to fund. With out congress' explicit cooperation, he can either constantly reiterate what would be a better course until public pressure on individual representatives grows large enough to cause them to act appropriately or use the military and declare a dictatorship.

I prefer the former to the latter

~~~~~~~

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kar98

Whoa, I feel freaking dizzy after reading that post above me. Shocked

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lisa

Air India leaves tomorrow at 21:30.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: