Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Fair and Balanced Parodies?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

Fair and Balanced Parodies?  Reply with quote  

In my novels, I do my best to try to spread the love around by parodying real world leaders in the form of original characters. To date I have parodied Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Jon Huntsman (former governor of Utah) and Warren Jeffs (FLDS "prophet" and pedophile) in the same character, and Dick Cheney (admittedly, though, the Cheney character was so over-the-top evil you couldn't recognize him, AND he was a Democrat. Sorry, but the role called for an evil Democrat and I couldn't think of a REAL Democrat interesting enough to fit the role, so I just threw Cheney in there.)

W, Palin, Al Gore and Hillary are all on my list to be parodied at some point because I feel obligated to spread the love around, not to mention it would be fun. W and Palin are next up on the list, even though I supported them both in their respective elections, there's still quite a bit to poke fun at. I want to make their counterparts a married couple, like the quirky Governor or Oklahoma and his wife or something like that, and they take the main characters to their ranch and shoot wildly at groundhogs from a Jeep. I think that would be fun.

What kinda bugs me though about some books I read is when the author paints the opposition parties as evil assholes and bumbling idiots, but then turn around and set their own guys up as idealized angels who's intentions are always pure. And I'm like "Come on, man. That's not cool, and even worse, it's BORING!"

Disclaimer: I have NOT seen this in ANY books written by ANYBODY on this board, and I have read plenty books by fellow fruitbats, so I am not pointing fingers. I loves you all Smile

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is that am I the only person who is turned off by books where the contrast between the two parties is unrealistically stark and over-the-top? Or does it depend on the story that's being told?

Post Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

As a soap-watcher as well as a reader, I can tell you a couple of things:
Evil's more fun to write/play/watch/read & goodie-goodies are boring...

It's not a political thing, characters without depth & texture don't add to story...

Question Just out of curiosity, have you read any Andrew Greeley?
He's a Catholic priest & novelist that doesn't take the mainstream religious view but personally leans left...

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yangnome

I try to take shots at everybody, right or left.

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: