Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

abcd

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
lisa

abcd  Reply with quote  

When we were seven years old, my friends and I met in an expensive boarding school in a little England like hill station. We bonded there and when we left in 1986 we swore we would buy land here and return in middle age to live in our briar rose covered cottages. Four of my best friends now live in foreign countries married to foreigners.

Year after year we discuss our dream and last May I decided to make the first move and buy land and construct the house. I was to close my business and buy some land attached to the house for my friends who would move from their various countries to make our 36 year dream come true.

So last May I went to our quaint ice cold beautiful mountain resort and there..................................................

(Fill in your worst horror story you ever knew in your life)

This write up is not about any of the above.

I came back shattered and called my friends saying we were lost forever, the place had vanished off the face of the earth and we must now go on with our lives and find peace within.

Months later as I sat reading one of my books written by a Sri Lankan author in my native tongue, one day, I was shocked to come across these chilling words.

The writer is a poor fellow with a genuine grasp for just reporting things he sees. It was only a para but it knocked my lips apart.

He describes a small hill town in Sri Lanka where he is touristing. He tells with rare insight an astonishing phenomenon.

"The people lives in quaint bungalows, play strange games, eat odd food, belong to foreign clubs and seem to be in a trance. They do not seem to be remembering their relatives and do not wish to see them again. I account this to a strange power emanating from the mountains that is holding them in it's spell."

I leaned forward in shock. I suddenly remembered the water falls, the glistening tadpoles and crabs in the streams, the badminton and golf games, the hot bread and yellow butter, cheese paste and meat patties, the cerulean blue skies, the cold fog, the sturdy stone cottages and thick dahlias and roses, the smell of eucalyptus trees and vapours of the weedy plants, the beautiful sunsets and ice cold nights, our isolation from our kith and kin for 36 years, I remembered the trance.

Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings, I thought.

The Earth. This life. This is the Maya. The spell.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Katy O

Cheese paste?

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
zendao42

Katy O wrote:

Cheese paste?

I think that goes with the "whine" thread she posted at about the same time... Wink

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lisa

http://www.ehow.com/how_5134656_make-cheese-paste.html

I suspect our cheese paste was ground grated cheese with boiled eggs and margarine, lightly salted. Heaven to eat spread on hot thickly sliced bread with a dollop of marmalade to cover it.

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:15 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

Just had cheese biscuits with butter- close enough? Wink

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: