Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

How to navigate a call center
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
RadLad

How to navigate a call center  Reply with quote  

Greetings, and pie to all!
My forum account has been gathering cobwebs for many months now, which has been bad for my personal growth as a human. It's amazing how much less free time you have after moving to a different state to take up a new job and live with someone else.

Recap: Back in early November I was looking for work in the town where my fiancee (and now myself) lives. I got a call on Monday about an interview I'd had the previous week. It went:

"You've got the job, it starts tomorrow at 8 AM"
Me: "Oh, shit. Mkay."
My employer let me go with a lot of begging that I stay which was good for my morale and ego, so off I went into the night.

So now I work at a call center, an entirely different beast than what I was doing before. But the pay is surprisngly good, the bosses are nice and the other workers are fun to be around. And after four months I feel like I've accumulated some knowledge I think you may benefit from if ever you need to call in to speak with a human being, and get the help you want.

- Don't like menu options? Press 0. Keep pressing that damn 0 button, and USUALLY, depending on how the menu is set up, it will bypass the million choices and get you to a human being. It probably won't be the person who can help you, but it's still progress. ANother option is to say, clearly, "Representative." This isn't always made known to you from the automatic operator. Some menus can understand you and then get a person on the line.

- Make sure you know what you want. If you've dealt with this problem before, hopefully you took notes as to what department you were speaking with. Most people who work at call centers are highly specialized in one field, and if you stray from it, you'll be looking at a transfer.

- Make sure your caller knows what you want. Some operators will hear just a key word in your long-winded explanation like 'internet' and then transfer you there, even though the internet team can't help you. If the person you're with can't help you, make sure they understand the problem before moving you along.

- Ask your operator to speak to the next person they're sending you to before they get you there. You may be on hold for a bit longer, but that way they can save you form repeating yourself. I've had times where my phone rang, and it turned out someone was sent to me in error, which could have been prevented if the last person had gotten on the line with me first and told me what the issue was. I could have then told them I don't deal with that.

- If you've been on hold for a long time, it may be because a long-winded person is already talking to me. Some people, once we've helped them, like to continue talking about any old thing. For instance, I learned form one pleasant old woman that Steve Harvey and Charlie Sheen were caught in a hotel room with a couple of hookers. I mean, come on, really? Charlie Sheen?
Anyway, we can't hang up on these people. We can only hang up if we're sworn at 3+ times.

Share any other call ceneter stories you may have, or you can all use me as your verbal beating stick and vent your frustration about every call you've ever had to make. I'll nod and smile politely Smile
chris: k

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

I worked tier 1 for Verizon Wireless, so I don't wanna hear anything.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RadLad

No complaints here Kar, just sharing thoughts on the new job.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sephonae

Hang on - you really have to wait until you're sworn at for the *third* time before you hang up? That's BS. I can totally dig the diff between someone being frustrated and just generally swearing as opposed to swearing *at me*, and that phone call's going bye-bye if it happens more than once.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RadLad

Yup, you can swear in general, it's three cusses at me that get you dc'ed. But it hasn't happened to me yet, I'm just aware of the policy. Known a couple of people who've done it though.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

I try to avoid those places.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am   View user's profile Send private message
twilly

If you threaten to discontinue your patronage... you'll like be transferred to "The Retention Department" aka "The-They-Will-Lick-Your-Ass-And-Likely-Give-You-Free-Shit Department."

Works like a dream.

Also if you're in a chocolate shop try this one:

"What is so and so featured product?"
You might have to practice being genuine.
Wait for the response,
"So and so is blah blah blah blah blah...blah blah... would you like to sample it?"

Fain surprise, and accept. Be sure to say, "Thank you," as gratitude is the best attitude.

You can thank me by mailing me chocolate Smile

"Life is too short for dry humping." This woman I know.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

twilly wrote:
If you threaten to discontinue your patronage... you'll like be transferred to "The Retention Department" aka "The-They-Will-Lick-Your-Ass-And-Likely-Give-You-Free-Shit Department."

Works like a dream.

Also if you're in a chocolate shop try this one:

"What is so and so featured product?"
You might have to practice being genuine.
Wait for the response,
"So and so is blah blah blah blah blah...blah blah... would you like to sample it?"

Fain surprise, and accept. Be sure to say, "Thank you," as gratitude is the best attitude.

You can thank me by mailing me chocolate Smile
At Sees shops, they always offer you a sample of the feature, no need to play coy. And they'll gladly substitute the one you really prefer, even during the holiday crushes. Many people "shop" at every Sees store they find, love Sees chocolates but have never spent a penny on their wares.

I've found that asking to speak to the supervisor after one unsatisfactory answer gets the rep alert and really making an effort to resolve my issue. If I feel the need to ask a second time, I go all imperious and get kicked up to the appropriate support level immediately. I've never had to ask a third time.
When a rep is truly working to resolve my issue, and it's taking some time, I tell them that I appreciate their patient help and at the end of the call I thank them.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kar98

Ah yes, the "Ah wamba supahvisah and ah wamba free stuff!" "customers" everybody loves so much. You know what I did with people threatening to cancel their account? Canceled their fucking accounts.
And you know what happens to people demanding a supervisor immediately, or because they just don't like their answer? There's a field for notes for every call that the next person I transferred you to will see, and the agent you'll get next time you want free shit will see as well. "Customer sounds stoned, again. Make NOOOO references to the color red or the word 'dollar', or she'll go on anti government rant."
That's if I don't super accidentally transfer your call to the beginning of the queue.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Katy O

^ I'm going to cancel my Verizon account now. Cool

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kar98

Go ahead. Tell them the German sent ya.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ginjg

I can express dissatisfaction with the quality of service I'm receiving and ask to speak with someone of greater skill or authority without being rude. Even imperious doesn't have to be rude.
It's perfectly possible to guide someone who's just "phoning it in" to focus and really address the issue or one who isn't capable to send you up. I've actually been in situations where I was giving the entry level support technical information that they should have known.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
fortune cookie

Heck wit all that.
If you've got an accent, I'll ask for someone else.
Even if it's a British or Aussie accent.

(do I really have to insert the smilely face fot da krout?)

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

Ginjg wrote:
I can express dissatisfaction with the quality of service I'm receiving and ask to speak with someone of greater skill or authority without being rude. Even imperious doesn't have to be rude.
It's perfectly possible to guide someone who's just "phoning it in" to focus and really address the issue or one who isn't capable to send you up. I've actually been in situations where I was giving the entry level support technical information that they should have known.

Those people make $11/hr, and are faced with meeting at least three sets of directives that all directly contradict each other: keep call times under a certain length, keep transfers under a certain number, and always try to upsell something. Oh, and make sure the mark doesn't call again for the same thing.
You know how many of the marks calling in think they are so fucking special and need super special favors and shit for free and want the supervisor (of which there is maybe one for every two dozen agents?) for the stupidest shit? If not all of them, then a number insignificantly less than 100%
People who do CARE about doing their job don't last long.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zendao42

I'm glad I ain't gotta do any business over the phone-
my husband does all that for me! Wink

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: