Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Stay or go?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

If I get the choice, do I take the job in Detroit?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Only if there is an attractive lady over there to visit once in a while
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Stay out of our country you stupid Brit
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FattyFattyPorkFace

Stay or go?  Reply with quote  

So...today I get given the opportunity (or at least, have it suggested that the opportunity might be mine) to move to Detroit for a year or two with work. My question is...yes or no? I think a poll is required. I'm thinking yes....being as I was thinking about looking for another job anyway.

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
i8tokyo

One word...  Reply with quote  

Redwings!!!!!!

Thank you, Drive through...

(btw, that is a big yes)

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message
edrie

why not! you only live once... and you're getting paid  Reply with quote  

to do that! come over, enjoy, travel - and have fun!

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ted J

Tough call. The few times I've been to Detroit I didn't find it very appealing. I'm sure there are nice parts, but I haven't been to them. On the other hand, the Detroit airport is a hub for Northwest Airlines, making it a great location from which to see the rest of the country.

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Woof!

Hells yes.

It's not like airplanes are going to go out of style the moment you land in Detroit. I mean, if they did, you'd have a much bigger problem, you know?

You could never wear your Sopwith Camel again! Horror!

American Football: http://www.detroitlions.com/

Baseball: http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=det

The Once And Future Sport: http://www.detroitredwings.com/

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Don't pass up the opportunity. You are always welcome here. And the Motor City is home to some great music. And as others have mentione Detroit is a hub so you can visit some of our cool attractions.

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jo

Location: Near here, on Tuesdays, but just on the days that end with nth. Like 3nth.

Go for it! If you can't handle Detroit, you can escape and come to my house for the weekend. It's maybe 4 hours away and heck, we could set something on fire in the back yard! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

My kids think that is great fun! I've actually had the following conversation -

Mom - What was THAT 20 foot flame I just saw????

Anonomous teen boy voice - Oh that! It was just a can of.... nothing!

Mom - Oh, well, DON'T do it again!!!! GRRRRRRR!

Several anonomous teen boy voices - BWAHAHAHAHAHARDYHARRROLTFLMAOFF...... Ok!

(They fear me so) Wink

Actually, Detroit is not bad..I have some friends there that could tell you where to go Wink and where not to go. Very Happy

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dave

The first thing that popped into my head was "I bet the weather there really blows" but that's just me.. Weather.com says it's 5F right now with a wind chill of -7F, BTW.

That said, if it's a good job and you don't have anything nailing you to the UK, jump on it.

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Drive to Manchester. Cover it with grey snow and ice and lots of hostile, dangerous, frustrated people -- TA DA! -- Detroit.

Up side, Ann Arbor is close, a college town, and very progressive for that section of the country. And Chicago is only a few hours away, and it's a great city.

But I defer to Becky, who actually lives near Detroit.

Jeff, are you in London? Because if it's between London or Detroit, I'd have to go with Paris.

You do know that George Bush and his people are in charge of all of the states, right? Imagine Maggie Thatcher with a cowboy hat, a tiny penis, and a lobotomy. That's our leader.

Last edited by chris on Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Unc

chris wrote:
Jeff, are you in London? Because if it's between London or Detroit, I'd have to go with Paris.

I'll second that. Laughing

As for Detroit, I worked there for 20 years. Ok, Ok...so it was really only 2 years; it just felt like 20. Fun can be had there, but then fun can be had in Hell if you're just weird enough.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

chris wrote:
Drive to Manchester. Cover it with grey snow and ice and lots of hostile, dangerous, frustrated people -- TA DA! -- Detroit.

Up side, Ann Arbor is close, a college town, and very progressive for that section of the country. And Chicago is only a few hours away, and it's a great city.

But I defer to Becky, who actually lives near Detroit.

You do know that George Bush and his people are in charge of all of the states, right? Imagine Maggie Thatcher with a cowboy hat, a tiny penis, and a lobotomy. That's our leader.

I spent 5 years in Manchester at University...I was brought up 23 miles from there (approximately). I currently live near Cambridge, which is about 60 miles from London. Paris is ok...not sure I'd work there...I'd end up writing songs all day or something.

And yes, I do know that George W Bush and his people are in charge of the whole place. I am aware. I just feel that as I am thinking about getting a new job...this opportunity seems too good to miss. After all, they PAY for me to go to the US...and to stay there. It's not too bad. I'll bring my wit, charm and good looks. And fear.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chris
Site Admin

Well, I don't feel old enough to say shit like this, but here you go:

I've almost never regretted anything I've ever done, I have, however, regretted a lot of things I haven't done.

Go.

But remember, fear is your friend. Detroit is one of the cities (and there are many here) where cultural infamiliarity can kill you. Quickly learn where you do not want to be, and learn how not to go there. You will be driving, and it will be on the wrong side of the road. Confusion sometimes results.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Paul R

Only good thing about Detroit is that it has a tunnel and a bridge that gets you into Canada.
I have been through Detroit more than enough to know that you don't stop. Ever. I once saw a dead Alsatian on the side of the highway. Stiff as a board, legs reaching for the sky. God knows how long it had been there. I really dislike Detroit (can you tell?) and I live 60 miles from Buffalo. However, Chicago is only 5 hours or so from Detroit so that is good. Also Toronto is only 4 hours away and that is even better. I am sure you would live out in the suberbs somewhere which I suppose would be ok, but I have a serious problem buying goods and services from stores where you interact with the clerk through 2 inches of bullet proof glass. As an emigrant from England myself, I wish you all the best if you make the move.

cheers

Paul R

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:02 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lauren

Hey, go for it! I'm mostly just echoing what everyone else said. That, and if you end up really hating it, you can hitchhike around the country and visit all of us.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:28 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Susan

I recommended that you stay out of the country, but only because the Bushmen are in charge. If you do decide to come over and things get too bad, just cross the bridge into Canada. I'm hoping to do that one day myself.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: