Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Stay or go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

If I get the choice, do I take the job in Detroit?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Only if there is an attractive lady over there to visit once in a while
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Stay out of our country you stupid Brit
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jillybeans

What Chris said. However, get yourself lost (which is my usual way of doing stuff, look sweet and innocent, tell them you're lost, tolerate their laughter at you, get out). Works for me. I've been lost in Galway, Watts, Altadena, CA, Boston, Chicago, Toronto and a few more I'd like not to think about like Georgia Oops sorry. Forgot London and Paris as well as Dublin. If you come to Boston, stay away from Roxbury and Dorchester. I'm sure the Southies would let you stay.

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:34 am   View user's profile Send private message
gearslut

You should never pass up an opportunity to get hit in windscreen with a cement block while driving down the highway.

Take it from me, I lived right across the river for 23 years.

P.S. Don't swim in the river.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
conspiracies unlimited

Stay out of our country you stupid Brit... I like that... You have no idea how tempting it was, and how much I agonized over hitting that poll button... But, I didnt listen to Kitty (She was REALLY pushing for that response -- bad Kitty!!!)...

I like the AGs advice... if ya move to Detroit -- learn where NOT to go... Learn how NOT to get there... Great advice...

...Should you chose NOT to follow the AGs advice, make that funny little face you make in your avatar... You know, just for fun...

I also like CMs other advice... Paris -- was that an option? If not, it should be...

What the hell... Come on... take the job... whats the worse that could happen??? Its not like jingoistic fanatacism is contagious...

Come on, move to America, join the party...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Come on over. My only advice is to bring tea with you. There is some really shit tea here and no one seems to be able to make it right. I am terrible though. I take sugar in mine and I am over thirty, closer to mid-thirty, but who is counting. I like the kick of the sugar since I canít have the caffeine.

The worst is sitting in a restaurant after you ask of tea and they bring out this small metal pitcher that has the warm water in it. The water is not hot it is warm. Also the water has travelled from whatever they boiled it in to this metal thing and then finally to the cup. The other reason it is warm is because it has sat out with the lid open near a fly strip in the kitchen so donít forget tweezers to pluck out the fly that has fallen into the water and donít dare reorder the water because you will never see the waitress again because she will think you have slighted her in some way because you wanted hot water without fly in it.

If you are lucky they will give you a choice of what tea you want but normally it is some discount crap that they pick up at Wal-Mart that tastes like the bastard child of green tea but with a seaweed taste to it. I would say your best bet is to bring tea bags with you out to eat, however, expect to be charged for the warm water.

The other problems of course are Georgie, gun control (we have lots of guns here and they are not all for hunting fox), drugs, education, those red states and so much more.

It is a wonderful country though. Most of the people here are not like the ones you see on the news who canít tell the reporter who Ghandi was or taking video of themselves lighting their farts on fire and then putting it up on the internet for the world to see. We have parades with tractors in them, monster truck rallies, NASCAR, (Iím being cheeky again).

It is a great place with so many opportunities that if you have the chance to work here I would take it. (seriously)

ta

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
conspiracies unlimited

Tea???  Reply with quote  

Tea!?!

WTF!?! This ain't England, man...

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Yes tea.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
conspiracies unlimited

hmmph!!!  Reply with quote  

This is America, man...

"T" is the letter that comes after "R"... drink that!!!

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Juliann

I'll join the "at-least-you'll-be-close-to-Chicago" bandwagon. We have plenty of pubs around here in case you get homesick.

And although it is cold, there is skiing in the UP of MI, and it's pretty good - not Colorado good, but good for the Midwest. And come summertime, the canoeing and camping are good less than an hour and a half outside of Detroit.

Quote:
Paris is ok...not sure I'd work there...I'd end up writing songs all day or something.

Um, isn't Kid Rock from Detroit? And Eminem? What great musical company you'll keep...

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

But of course you should take the job. You don't have to stay in Detroit all the time. You have a bunch of places you can visit nationwide, so there will always be someplace to go to get away for the weekend. And that quit smoking fund will help with getting you from place to place. Go for it!

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Goudron

Sure, Detroit's not so hot, but it's just a couple of hours to Cleveland OH!! Ok, I'm sticking with the "close to Chicago and Toronto" crowd.

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Upa and Downs for Detroit  Reply with quote  

Having lived in most of the US but been in what's loosely called the Detroit Metropolitan area for my adult life (since 1976), I can give you a solid, reliable answer: It depends.

Mostly it depends on just exactly where your company is sending you to. Dearborn? Reasonable, but nothing wonderful. Artistic but Arrogant Ann Arbor? If you can handle the arrogance, it's immensely great. Fashionable Ferndale or one of the other northern suburbs? Standard middle America, which is a fine place to be. Downtown Detroit? Be prepared to commute. So...who do you work for, and where would they be sending you?

Of course, Dexter MI is the true cultural center of the state, but that's just because we live there.

And any of you Mooristas who are in the Troy MI area this weekend, drop by Confusion and say hi.[/i]

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Re: Upa and Downs for Detroit  Reply with quote  

sgt_steve wrote:
Having lived in most of the US but been in what's loosely called the Detroit Metropolitan area for my adult life (since 1976), I can give you a solid, reliable answer: It depends.

Mostly it depends on just exactly where your company is sending you to. Dearborn? Reasonable, but nothing wonderful. Artistic but Arrogant Ann Arbor? If you can handle the arrogance, it's immensely great. Fashionable Ferndale or one of the other northern suburbs? Standard middle America, which is a fine place to be. Downtown Detroit? Be prepared to commute. So...who do you work for, and where would they be sending you?

Of course, Dexter MI is the true cultural center of the state, but that's just because we live there.

And any of you Mooristas who are in the Troy MI area this weekend, drop by Confusion and say hi.[/i]

Reconsidering after reading Sgt.'s answer, I'd say don't go anywhere near fucking Detroit. I forgot how much I loathe the attitude of the Midwest toward anything intellectual. Fuck them. Last time I did a presentation in Michigan an old man in the back of the the crowd asked me this, "My grandson is studying in Denver, he wants to be writer, wants to write movies and things. Why would anyone ever want to do that?"

To which I replied, "I just bought a million dollar house in Hawaii, how are you doing?"

I wish I hadn't. I wish I'd just said, "It can be an honorable and fulfilling career and the skills your grandson learns will be applicable to many aspects of the communication field." But I had been touring for a month and it was about a zillion degrees below zero and the woman who was driving had just apologized for being unpatriotic because she was driving a Honda, and I came from a town full of people like that and there's a reason I don't go back, ever, and that's it.

But the bottom line is that industrial America is the only place I get questions like that. Places where having ambition in the arts makes you elitist, or just a wacko. Well fuck them. Stay where you are, or move to London or Paris or any fucking place but Cleveland or Detroit, because if you're successful, you'll have to pretend that you're not, or if you're smart, you'll have to dumb yourself down or someone will call you arrogant.

Fuck Detroit.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Well, it looks like it is going ahead and as much as your comments ring true...this is an opportunity I can't really turn down...considering that the other option is to not have a job AND I could do with a change anyway. Nothing is forever. Of course, it won't matter whether I'm smart, dumb or otherwise...the accent should make sure people think I'm arrogant and pretentious anyway...so I wouldn't be able to win.

As to where I am going...well, our company offices are in Plymouth, some staff live in Ann Arbor and the customer is somewhere in Detroit but it isn't Dearborn or Downtown...can't remember where.

You can never regret the opportunities taken, only the ones missed. Opportunities taken are suffered.

Last edited by FattyFattyPorkFace on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Juliann

Quote:
I forgot how much I loathe the attitude of the Midwest toward anything intellectual. Fuck them.

I respectfully disagree that the whole Midwest abhors all things intellectual. Are there pockets of ignorance? Sure. Will there always be people who pride themselves on said ignorance? Yes - but come on, bullshit attitudes like those Chris described are, alas, not geographically confined. Rednecks are everywhere. People who think that creative professions, or pursuits, are useless are everywhere. Those who think intellectuals, especially with their tendencies to question authority with facts, are arrogant are everywhere. Carl Rove counted on these people, pandered to them, and won a national election on their backs.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:34 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Our wonderful one-time governor now U.S. senator Republican George Allen (geez, I think that's his name Confused ) once said he wouldn't cross the street to go to the ballet. He apparently abhorred all things cultural and intellectual. We get the best and the brightest here in Virginia. The country's apparently teeming with them.

You'll be a novelty, FFPF. I hear women in America go crazy for a man with a British accent. That was one of the story lines in Love, Actually, wasn't it?

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: