Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

More Dreams
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Katy O

More Dreams  Reply with quote  

I waited tables for a long time. While I was doing that, I also had "waiter-mares" wherein I would have stress dreams about waiting tables and being overloaded with customers. I haven't waited tables in six years.

The dreams stopped within weeks of quitting waiting tables. Now they've started again. In the past two years, I probably dream about waiting tables at least three times a month.

The dreams started out where I was overloaded and but didn't care that I couldn't wait on everyone. Now they're more stressful and I actually care about my customers again. In a lot of the dreams, I've gone back to some restaurant that I used to work for and I'm sort of in training. The most truly horrifying dream was when I ended up working at McDonald's again.

Anyone have a hypothesis about why I'm dreaming this stuff again? I really want to stop. Why can't I dream about something fun?

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ginjg

When I have multiple dreams about my old job it usually is a cue that there's something going on in my life now that's stalled or startring to be frustrating. I may not have been aware that anything was off.
Once I actively try to identify the issue and begin trying to resolve it the irritating dreams leave and the good ones return.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lauren

Every once in a while I have work dreams. Usually, I find myself back in the bookstore, and 95% of the dreams are about customers who won't leave even though it's time to close for the night. I suppose a psychiatrist might tell me I have something in my life that needs closure, but something's keeping me from moving on. But, um, they'd be wrong.

I miss the bookstore, though. Still keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be looking for a website/author event/marketing person sometime.

I fully admit, I am neither a psychiatrist nor a dream interpreter, so any hypotheses coming from me are just guesses. Are you bored or stressed with what you're doing now? When you have the dreams, maybe think about what happened in the last few days, try to figure out if there's something triggering them.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Katy O

I'm both bored and stressed in my current situation. Stressed because we run a small-ish/medium-ish business and I'm the entire financial end of it. I handle the accounting in all forms. The beginning of the year is the worst time since nobody wants to pay us but all our vendors want us to pay them. Add the fun of corporate taxes to it all and I'm just screwed. Bored because my job, like waiting tables, is usually a feast-or-famine situation. Either I'm loaded down or I'm here or doing something else on the internet that I shouldn't be doing.

But I have the dreams all year.

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Katie

My stress dreams are actually a good thing usually. I haven't had one in a while though and I wish I would. They were always about natural disaters. Frequently they were tornados, but sometimes earthquakes, volcanoes or both. They were always a way of relieving stress. If I can survive a volcano burying Buffalo, then I can survive whatever is stressing me out.

I don't know about your dream Katy, but it sounds like your identifying some unpleasant connection between your life now and when you were waiting. There's probablt something that you associate with that time in your life that you're exeriencing now. Try dreaming about a bunch of intelligent tornados chasing you down. You'll feel better.

*^_^*
Katie

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
L.P. Bowman

dreams  Reply with quote  

as a lender for a financial institution I contanstanly dream about losing my employers money (big money at times) and unfortunately I awake at something like 4 in the morning feeling the need to go straight to work as if I could solve all the problems by being there early....

once the stress level hits its peak, which is usually once a quarter I remind myself that I am simply a grain a of sand on life's beach and realize that it is highly unlikely anyone will write any history books documenting my life....

I call it a form of meditation, but before I go bed during high stress times I reiterate to myself that things will work out one way or another, so why worry.....Lu Yu has some great thoughts on this matter....."who can stop us from celebrating"

in other words ease your mind and enjoy what you have and be thankful for the world around you.....or really just be thankful for life and the ability to particpate in your short span while in this world .....

remember the old song...."Don't worry, be happy"

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
brandy

I read somewhere that only a low percentage of people dream in color. I often find myself dreaming in vivid colors, especially blues. I even have ones that involve other planets; as if I'm on another planet with more than one sun and planets so close you can reach out and touch them. Sometimes I can dream about certain things and I swear those events will happen... weird.

The ones I hate the most are where I lose my teeth. That is suppose to be a classic indication of stress or vanity...

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
deb

As a pretend dream analysis guru, I would suggest that your dreams have less to do with generalized stress than they do the specific stress of knowing you've got to try to please everyone, and knowing that eventually you're going to screw it up (wrong food to the wrong person....wrong invoice, etc etc) and knowing that once that happens, so many people are going to be upset.

That'll be $.05 please.

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sara Leigh

It's the pool. The state of your pool is causing the nightmares.

brandy, my mother would say losing teeth = death. According to her granny.

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Goudron

I have heard lost teeth are due to stress caused by things you have no control over.

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

My stress dream always involves being back in college and discovering that I was enrolled by accident in some class I never heard of, and the final is this afternoon. Have it once every couple of years.

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PastorCyn

I have the same dream--about college, except I know I've signed up for the class and I've been neglecting to go and how am I going to learn everything for the final?

Does that mean that I am complicit in my own misfortunes?

Cyn"French ate my lunch"thia

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

For the sake of your sanity and my own, I refuse to post any details about my dreams. Seriously, compared to what you write, the dreams that I have (and, strangely, my Dad's are just as bizarre) are...surreal to say the least...and not in the least bit normal.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goudron

I had an interesting one last night. For some reason, I had to build something in a big swimming pool. Toward the deep end, there was a long creature sucking on the side of the pool. Turned out it was a hammerhead shark. I became a little stressed out, but I decided to keep to the other side of the pool. Then someone outside the pool introduced a new shark into the pool. It was big, on a prehistoric type scale (100 ft long??), and took up half the pool. I protested and said something like "are you crazy?? I'm gonna die!" The shark turned out to be playful like a dolphin though. She'd swim up to my end of the pool, and roll over on top of me. I was scared I'd drown, but I got over it. Then we both hopped out of the pool, and the shark turned into a woman. I felt it necessary to tell her "you are one HOT shark! I love how you swim." We talked briefly, she straddled me, and then we went about our business (no sex of course, we just went our separate ways).

Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deb

Swim with the fish, sleep with the sharks, baby.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: