Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Oooh bad self publishing! No Cookie for you!

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Tal

Oooh bad self publishing! No Cookie for you!  Reply with quote  

Take a gander at this. I take no responsibility if you feel the need to spork your eyes out at any point during reading it. I love that the biography is longer than the book sample. :p

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lauren

Eyes...bleeding. Brain...throbbing...

That bio reads like a bad Mary Sue fanfic. Maybe that reaction was triggered by the last name "Riddell"

Quote:
Single at age thirty-two she says that she is patient and believes that the one with the magical eyes will find her.

Bwahahahahaha! OMG TEH ANGST!!11!

Age 32? Yeah, right. And notice her goddaughter is her "editor." Um, how old is the god-kid? Twelve? Apparently the kid failed English.

Atlanta Nights, on the other hand, is the best bad book I've ever read. The short version is this: there's a vanity publisher called PublishAmerica that claims to be a traditional publisher, and not a vanity press. They're a scam. Several published SF authors, editors and notables got together and wrote the worst book they could come up with to submit to PA. PA accepted it. When the hoax was revealed, PA pulled the offer. The press release is here.

There are a ton of useful links at (where else?) Making Light. Teresa Nielsen Hayden won't reveal which chapter she wrote, but she was in on it. There was so much demand for it that they ended up putting it out throught Lulu.com and all proceeds will go to the SF Writers of America emergency fund. Word of mouth has put it on Lulu's bestseller list already.

Moral of the story: don't piss off the SF community.

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tal

buahahahahahahahaha! Thats great! Just as a FYI Publish America is just down the street from my work. Wink

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Boota

I published my book through Authorhouse, because I have no patience and I'm a godawful vulgarian, but fortunately I didn't have nearly as much to say about myself in the biography. LOL. I'm not sure what the point of that was, but I was very conscious of not using my page on that site to turn potential readers off. That's what that bio did to me. I realized that no one wants to hear about me when they're thinking about buying my book. Strangely enough, though, my bio has made it's way into every review I have ever gotten.

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John

Shocked Shocked Sad Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I couldn't finish it. I tried and I tried but I couldn't get through the bio without my insides threatening to leap out of my throat and plunge into my eyes to keep me from reading any more.

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Wow. How could you not know?

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Goudron

John wrote:
Shocked Shocked Sad Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I couldn't finish it. I tried and I tried but I couldn't get through the bio without my insides threatening to leap out of my throat and plunge into my eyes to keep me from reading any more.

If you drink a couple glasses of wine first, it's all condensed to "blahblahblah" and you only spend half a second reading it all.

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

I almost didn't publish POD because of the stigma of it. The general consensus is that if you publish POD it is because you suck and no one "real" would take you. In fact, when I get mail from readers it usually says something to the effect of, "Since it came out POD, I thought it was going to suck, but...". Word of mouth is saving my ass. LOL. While it's true that POD companies will print anything, that doesn't mean that everything they print is bad.

Authorhouse didn't do to me what PublishAmerica does. PA outright lies and guarantees things that they can't deliver on. I recognized that and went elsewhere. Authorhouse let me know up front exactly what they would do and what was my responsibility. Where I got lucky is that a woman in the company took it upon herself to personally push my book, and that has helped a lot.

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fairydust

What does POD stand for?

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Boota

POD= Print On Demand

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: