Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Misunderestimation is a GOOD thing

Should "misunderestimate" be added to the dictionary?
Yes~ the president has the right to make up new words.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No~ it's not a real word and should not be treated as such.
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
I want to make up my own words!
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lara

Misunderestimation is a GOOD thing  Reply with quote  

This is kind of a long post. Sorry
Confused
Anyone ever see that Saturday Night Live dating service skit called “Lowered Expectations”?
Bush could be their Poster Boy and HE LIKES IT!
I don’t know about anyone else, but when a President of the United States says he likes
to keep people’s expectations of his abilities to lead the country LOW,
I start to get a little concerned.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040510-122703-4851r.htm
(read the full article… I’ve liberally clipped the parts that refer to what
I am speaking of but the whole thing is truly humiliating for us as a country
)

All emphasis added and bracketed italics are my comments:

Misunderestimationisms:

*snip*

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and Secretary of State Colin L. Powell
predicted disaster for anyone who "misunderestimates" the president. (it’s not a real word)
Miss Rice said she and other senior advisers still laugh over that quintessential
"Bushism," which their boss famously coined on the eve of the election that made him president.
(I’m so glad they can laugh about that… I can, too. See? Laughing )
"They misunderestimated me," Mr. Bush remarked Nov. 6, 2000, the final day of his
first presidential campaign. (it’s not a real word)
The malapropism crystallized the mistakes of his detractors,
who long have misunderstood George W. Bush's appeal to the American public
and underestimated his considerable political skills.
(oooh, used some big fancy words there... ::head hurts... must stop reading...)
The president hopes
those mistakes will be repeated by Mr. Kerry and the "Bush haters."
"I'd like to keep expectations low," Mr. Bush said during one of
several interviews in the Oval Office. "It's better for people to be
surprised rather than disappointed."
(I don’t know… being surprised can suck, too. See Sept. 11)
*snip*

"I'd advise them to get smart," the secretary of state said.
"They keep grinding their teeth over his syntax or his not spending enough
time on this or that. (exactly what is “this or that”. Education? The environment? Democracy?
Freedom? Upholding the Constitution?)
But he prevails. And they ought to look at his track record,
as opposed to these secondary features and characteristics, which don't reflect the man." (you're kidding, right?)
(Okay, let’s all look at his track record: AWOL. 2996 dead on 9/11. WAR. 700 plus Americans
and counting, thousands of Iraqi civilians. Turning an event that united the world with America into a
fiasco that has made us villains. Overseeing an administration that can now be legally
prosecuted for War Crimes)

The president's penchant for encouraging low expectations "shows how wise he is,"
Mr. Powell said. "Because if you have something that people consider a
weakness, you can use that weakness to your advantage — if it isn't really a weakness."
(Note: what if it really is a weakness?)
Mr. Bush acknowledges that he encourages such misjudgments by detractors.
"People tend to discount my ability to get things done, and that's exactly what I want,"
the president said in an interview. "I want people to underestimate.
"I don't know why people do that. Maybe it's because of the philosophy I believe in,
and maybe it's where I'm from. It doesn't bother me in this world that people would say
that 'He can't get things done,' because I know I can." (What “philosophy” is that? Seriously,
I’d like to study a philosophy that tells me to do nothing so that any action whatsoever is impressive…
Knowing you can get things done and actually getting things done are two different things.
Seriously. If I told my boss “I know I can do this” and then didn’t do it, I get my ass fired.)

*snip*

"I think that anybody who misunderestimates this president is going to have egg on their face
in a few years," she said. "People ought to go back and look at Harry Truman, because
that's another president who was misunderestimated." (It’s not a real word, people!!
Crack open a dictionary! When it shows up on my computer there’s a squiggly red line under it!
WHO ARE YOU KIDDING?!?)

*snip*

Mr. Bush's detractors make a costly mistake by dismissing him as a lightweight, Mr. Powell said.
(Powell, sweetie, honey… give it up. Move on. You’re better than this)

*snip*

"And secondly, we're changing the world," [President Bush] added. "Let me rephrase that:
The world is changing, and we're helping to change it.” (Ooops. Just come out and say it… New World Order)
*snip*

The word among [Democratic Front Runner] Mr. [John] Kerry's contemporaries, even in those days,
was that "he wants to be JFK," [White House Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr.] said.
(Better JFK than the Anti-Christ, I tell you what…)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Mon May 10, 2004 8:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
disco

makin' shit up  Reply with quote  

I believe it's already been established here that only professional author-type people are allowed to make up words at will, and then only to beat lesser mortals at Scrabble.

Post Mon May 10, 2004 1:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chris
Site Admin

Re: makin' shit up  Reply with quote  

disco wrote:
I believe it's already been established here that only professional author-type people are allowed to make up words at will, and then only to beat lesser mortals at Scrabble.

Yes, my son.

Post Mon May 10, 2004 2:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: