Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Questions for the Author Guy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lib

You're absolutely right, SL! A certain boy and his tiger are celebrating right now. Wink

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:03 am   View user's profile Send private message
Kate R

First of all, congrats on the Quills. You can dance around now and have a party, knowing that next year you'll definately be invited to go and can spend a couple of days in NYC.

AND, my question. Since I spend far too much time screwing around on the internet, and on here in particular, I was looking through the pictures link, and noticed that you had really long hair, but then it seems to have mysteriously dissapeared. Well, not so mysteriously I guess. Anyway, why did you cut it?

I used to have my hair down to my waist, and I really liked it but people kept giving me a guilt trip for not donating it to Locks of Love (they make wigs for kids with cancer) so I sucked it up and cut it off - 16 inches! It was a sad day....sniff sniff.

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ted J

chris wrote:
They're over. My publisher, Lisa Gallagher accepted the award for me. I guess they only axed New York based authors to be there.
Ok, what were you wearing at the time they were handing the award to your publisher?

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
GmeOfWhoNeedsWho

Can I do the cover art for your next book? I swear I can do something much more complex and detailed than stick figures (unless you want stick figures).

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Kate R wrote:
First of all, congrats on the Quills. You can dance around now and have a party, knowing that next year you'll definately be invited to go and can spend a couple of days in NYC.

AND, my question. Since I spend far too much time screwing around on the internet, and on here in particular, I was looking through the pictures link, and noticed that you had really long hair, but then it seems to have mysteriously dissapeared. Well, not so mysteriously I guess. Anyway, why did you cut it?

I used to have my hair down to my waist, and I really liked it but people kept giving me a guilt trip for not donating it to Locks of Love (they make wigs for kids with cancer) so I sucked it up and cut it off - 16 inches! It was a sad day....sniff sniff.

Few years ago we had a party, and I saw a bunch of guys standing over in the corner, and all of them had pony tails. And they looked really old and out of touch. I was starting the research for Fluke, and I knew I was going to be spending a lot of time in the water as well. Between those two things, I decided it was time to cut my hair.

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Ted J wrote:
chris wrote:
They're over. My publisher, Lisa Gallagher accepted the award for me. I guess they only axed New York based authors to be there.
Ok, what were you wearing at the time they were handing the award to your publisher?

Since I've moved to Hawaii, I'm almost always wearing shorts and a tank top. Barefoot if I'm indoors, flip-flops if I'm out. I was in shorts and a tank top.

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Cathy

Location: Austin_an island of blue surrounded by a sea of red.

GmeOfWhoNeedsWho wrote:
Can I do the cover art for your next book? I swear I can do something much more complex and detailed than stick figures (unless you want stick figures).

Dude, If I'm not mistaken, Chris designed the TSA book cover. Oops!

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Questions  Reply with quote  

Here are some questions for the AG:

1. If I were a rich man, da doo da doo da doo da doo da doo daaaaa?

2. What do you want to be or a wasp? (and yes, it is meant to be that confusing...it's a friend's favourite question for stoners)

3. How can I persuade my sister to name her baby Jeff Tucker Biff AG? She doesn't seem to like it.

4. If you could be a published author, what would you write about? Oh, wait, scrap that...er...nice weather we're having?

5. Chris Martin of Coldplay sings, "I was just guessing at numbers and figures, pulling the puzzles apart". Wouldn't he be better off learning to calculate from first principles and leave the puzzles well alone?

6. How do you want that cooked?

7. Is everything ok for you?

8. Can I get you anything else?

9. More coffee?

10. You're not from around here, what is that accent? (a popular question for me)

11. I learned today that not only was Ohio the source of the first aviators, but also the first American in space and the first man on the moon. Why haven't you invented or pioneered something that gets you off the ground?

Post Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lisa

Chris did pioneer this website which by the way got him off the ground.
he he.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tal

Kate R wrote:

The next time someone tells you to donate anything to Locks of Love you may want to direct them to look them up on The Better Business Bureau's Charity report

LoL (Look kids I made a funny!) did not receive a favorable report. Most telling in the report is that they do not give out the wigs - they sell them to the tune of $150,719 in 2001.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
PastorCyn

Actually, it seems to me that the only thing that the BBB report tells us is that they did not submit a correctly formatted (perhaps audited?) report for that year. It seems that they do, however comply with the vast majority of the standards, including the one that says that the minimum amount of income that can be used for programs is 65%. Locks of Love, according to the BBB's own data, uses 90% of its contributions for programs (less than 1% for fundraising.)

As far as the item "hair sales" goes, a visit to the Locks of Love website in addition to other charitable giving watchdog sites plus their 990 form to the IRS indicates that because they cannot use all hair that is donated (for instance, if it is too short--shorter than 10 inches--or if it is grey), they sell it to raise funds to help offset the costs of making the wigs. A friend of mine who has white hair donates on a regular basis and always marks her contribution "for sale" when she sends it in, since she knows they can't use it, but it doesn't cost her anything to donate it and it helps them anyway.

And children under the age of 18 are accepted into the program as long as their family/guardians/caregivers make less than $100,000 a year. The wigs (in addition to any repairs) are given free of charge or on a sliding scale. I assume that households whose income is more than, say, $70,000 a year could potentially (though not necessarily) afford to contribute something to the cost of a wig which might otherwise cost them in the neighborhood of $3000 (which is rather low, given the prices that I've seen for some people I've tried to help get wigs).

So, in addition to the BBB report (which should be taken into account), check out this report:
www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/9285.htm which rates Locks of Love as a 68.11 out of 70 and gives it its highest 4-star rating.

So, Chris--any chance of you becoming a highly rated 501.3c so that we can count purchase of your books as a tax deduction? Smile

Cyn"always two sides to the coin"thia

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kate R

My hair is worth $3,000!?!?! Heck, I've got ten inches on me - anyone interested?

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
rjr_ca

Kate R wrote:
I've got ten inches on me - anyone interested?

If there was not a Pastor onboard, that is a classic opening line that is just too good Twisted Evil .

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message
deb

The pastor is currently trying to keep her alb on and zippers zipped.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sgt_steve

Kate R wrote:
I've got ten inches on me - anyone interested?
rjr_ca wrote:
If there was not a Pastor onboard, that is a classic opening line that is just too good Twisted Evil .
Photos, we want photos.

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: