Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Well, Folks...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dave S.

maybe my avatar makes y'all think I'm bummed.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blarg

I wouldn't say bummed, I see that avatar and I see a guy who would shut a store so he could play hockey on the roof. Maybe I'm taking the avatar too strictly?

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kidzlibrarian

I thought you were sad because of the cry for help thing  Reply with quote  

"It was meant to be an April Fool's Joke, but maybe it was just a cry for help."

So you can count me in as someone who fell for part of your joke. Guess coz I work with teens now I'm alert to these kinds of statements. What I've learned so far during this year working at a HS is that kids want someone to bitch to but they don't usually want suggestions or intervention. Some of the kids at my school seem to have such a rough deal. It seems harder than when I was a kid, even though I went through some hellishness. For instance, I didn't know that many other kids whose parents were divorced. Both of my parents were married 4 times - to different people. None of my friends had divorced parents, though one friend's mom cooked and served tongue. That has got to be counted as a traumatic experience. Maybe it was because I grew up in in a rural area and I'm working in a suburban area? Perhaps there were things going on in my peers' lives I didn't know about? Maybe it's because the U.S. is getting more and more messed up for a lot of people? This has turned into a serious post. I apologize profusely!!!

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:44 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Lauren

Quote:
Quoth Dave S.: Damn, girl! You've been playing too much WoW.

Au contraire, m'dear. The smiting stick far predates WoW.

Come a little closer. *grin*

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
KatarinaNavane

I Lurve Dave's new avatar/siggy. Kevin Smith rules!

speaking of which, Jason Mewes is probably also partially responsible for my attraction towards asshole/stoners...

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dave S.

Lauren wrote:

Au contraire, m'dear. The smiting stick far predates WoW.

Come a little closer. *grin*

ooooh, stop it baby, you're gettin' me all hot! Cool

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vixen Jules

I don't like the word "folks".

It feels funny in my mouth. It isn't fun to say. And I think that strange odor that some sentences have come from the usage of the world "folk".

It smells like old people's homes, impending death and cottage cheese.

On the other hand, I'm really rather fond of the words "infidel". "wasabi", and "onomatopoeia".

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dave S.

Vixen Jules wrote:
I don't like the word "folks".

It feels funny in my mouth. It isn't fun to say. And I think that strange odor that some sentences have come from the usage of the world "folk".

It smells like old people's homes, impending death and cottage cheese.

On the other hand, I'm really rather fond of the words "infidel". "wasabi", and "onomatopoeia".

I'm guessing you never attended the Philadelphia Folk Festival.

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
conspiracies unlimited

Yeah, she probably doesn't like folk music either
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:35 am   View user's profile Send private message
y

Folk music? Like the movie A Mighty Wind? I've got a CD at home of some old guy named Donovan - is that folk music?

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

y wrote:
Folk music? Like the movie A Mighty Wind? I've got a CD at home of some old guy named Donovan - is that folk music?
You're coming perilously close to pushing my buttons . . . these days, folk music means non-classical acoustic music which focuses on one of three areas:

Technical excellence. A lot of bluegrass and Celtic falls into this area. Folkies also tend to latch onto some of the acoustic guitar wizards, like Leo Kottke and sometimes Michael Hedges (IMHO Hedges wass a better fit for New Wave acoustic).
    Meaningful lyrics (what Pete Nelson calls 'foreground music'). Sometimes this is mistakenly called 'protest music', but protest songs were always merely a small subset of folk music, whether old or modern.
    Historical re-creation and interpretation. 'Old-timey', gospel, western (as opposed to C&W), etc. Celtic falls into this group too.

The latter two sometimes include a lot of group singing or performance, with lots of audience participation.

Yes, some of what Donovan did in the early days was folk music. He came to popularity during the so-called 'Folk Revival' of the 60s, but it's difficult to say if he came out of it or latched onto the style because it sold at the time. Which is not to diss him as an artist; he was a fine singer-songwriter.

'Mighty Wind' describes folk music (or more precisely, the remnants of the Folk Revival) in exactly the degree that 'Spinal Tap' describes Rock and Roll. That is: hilariously. It's not a co-incidence that the Folkmen used to open for Spinal Tap.

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kidzlibrarian

What about folk music as the traditional music  Reply with quote  

of a region or country? Like Israeli folk Music? What Tuvan throat singers do, etc?

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
y

Hey Sgt_Steve...I didn't mean to push your buttons...honestly! Embarassed I like Donovan. "Season of the Witch" is one of my favorite songs! Perhaps my orignal comment wasn't clear - I was trying to get some info on a different type of music. I'm into just about everything across the board, but some things, like folk music, are sort of out of my realm of exploration. Thanks for the info though!

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:04 am   View user's profile Send private message
Vixen Jules

Ermm... All I was trying to say was I disliked the word. Not its meanings, ties, associations, or whatever.

I just don't like the way the word sounds or feels.

Unlike Wasabi, which I love to say. WASABI WASABI WASABI!!

It feels good in my mouth.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jilly

Vixen Jules wrote:

Unlike Wasabi, which I love to say. WASABI WASABI WASABI!!

It feels good in my mouth.

Especially when you eat a whole mouthful of it and your sinuses revolt, your throat threatens to do an Alien routine and your stomach, well let's not even go where what your intenstines can do to you. But then again there is always Indian cuisine that never gets out of the walls and has a permanent stay there that is kind of like ..... well you guys figure it out.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:53 am   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: