Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Harold and Kumar

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sara Leigh

Harold and Kumar  Reply with quote  

I'm so glad you responded in the Blog to that stupid post in the Old Books forum. I'm not sure what that person hoped to accomplish, but he managed to make himself look like a fool. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on that particular aspect of writing. I found the PW comment about "reining in" your imagination very amusing, and I remember that review. They can be fairly pompous over there.

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lauren

I'll second that. Amen, SL, and double amen, CM.

I started a righteously indignant post, but then decided to wait for your response, because, what with it being about your book and all, I figured your response would be much more eloquent.

And you proved me right. Twice.

Thanks for that, CM.

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Ginjg

I believe some ancient jew wrote one of the first whale as ship tale and in the 19th century Carlo Collodi had a marionette traveling that way.

Could it be… Archetypes?

Certain themes and images get raised repeatedly and across cultures, often contemporaneously. The question is: If a specific archetype is cropping up everywhere should we try to figure out why?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Last edited by Ginjg on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lib

How's it feel to have all these women ready to stomp someone in the ground with their four inch heels? After we're done, time for some pie. Wink

>>>Snaps my boa ike a bullwhip in preparation<<<

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message
ArgonautFleecey

Chris, are you familiar with Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's musical, Assassins?

One of the songs includes the following lyric:

"The idea wasn't mine alone, but mine"

Any right-thinking person who reads good literature will understand that archetypes exist and that many different creative people may have the same idea independently of one another, and that more than one of them may implement that idea without it being derivitive.

I'm a big fan of Coyote Blue. I'm also a big fan of Gaiman's American Gods. Are there similarities? Certainly. Are there also similarities between Lamb and the Monty Python film Life of Brian? Sure. Can one draw parallels between Bloodsucking Fiends and Interview With A Vampire by Ann Rice? Absolutely. Does this mean that you or Mr. Gaiman or Ms. Rice or the Python boys are in any way plagiarists? Of course not.

I think what I'm trying to say here is "don't let the bastards get you down," Chris.

Check out my blog!

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
gretchenfaith

Good Omens  Reply with quote  

I, also, am glad you posted that. But, just one question, when you said that the only reason you read Good Omens was because someone sent it to you, suggesting a similarity to Practical Demonkeeping...do you mean you didn't enjoy it?

Seriously, I fail to see any parallels with Practical Demonkeeping, except for the fact that both books made me laugh out loud repeatedly.

Come on, didn't you enjoy it, just a little?

(Plus, in my humble opinion, the party that made that book hilarious was not Gaiman, but Pratchet (Pratcher?) - I enjoy Gaiman's other work, but, he doesn't usually make me laugh. I tried to read Pratchet's other work and couldn't get caught up in the theme...but, I thought they really did a bang up job working together.)
Peace,
Gretchen

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jilly

Pssst Chris  Reply with quote  

Did you ever hear the saying "Don't sweat the small shit and it's ALL small shit". What was it you told me last week when I was angsting about my tag line? If someone doesn't like it, it's their problem. Sure I see similarities but it's just that: SIMILARITIES. Your books are still fun, imaginative and original. It's all small shit if you don't worry about what people think. Oops. I'm being nice again. Please forgive me.

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:54 am   
y

Thanks be to Josh (aka a big hunk of cheese)  Reply with quote  

Dearest most wise and respected AG;

You have once again astounded me with your insightful wisdom and eloquence of pen.

Thank you for your post and ending a long debate I've been having both on an internal and external level. You have inspired me to once again pick up my pen and write.

No longer will I sit, pen quivering in hand, while my brain searches for a completely new and original idea. Perhaps now I can enjoy reading a book without feverishly scribbling out ideas I thought were unique unto the depths of my own mind.

Thank you for reminding me it's not necessarily the origin of the idea, but where you go with it that counts.

Once again humbled by your presence,
y

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:32 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Re: Good Omens  Reply with quote  

gretchenfaith wrote:
I, also, am glad you posted that. But, just one question, when you said that the only reason you read Good Omens was because someone sent it to you, suggesting a similarity to Practical Demonkeeping...do you mean you didn't enjoy it?

Seriously, I fail to see any parallels with Practical Demonkeeping, except for the fact that both books made me laugh out loud repeatedly.

Come on, didn't you enjoy it, just a little?

(Plus, in my humble opinion, the party that made that book hilarious was not Gaiman, but Pratchet (Pratcher?) - I enjoy Gaiman's other work, but, he doesn't usually make me laugh. I tried to read Pratchet's other work and couldn't get caught up in the theme...but, I thought they really did a bang up job working together.)
Peace,
Gretchen

No, I liked it. I was just saying that I wasn't aware of it until someone thought it similar to my work.

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Gaiman and Pratchett say that they are not not not writing a sequel to Good Omens, but if they did it would be called 665: Neighbor Of The Beast.

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JennyO

sgt_steve wrote:
Gaiman and Pratchett say that they are not not not writing a sequel to Good Omens, but if they did it would be called 665: Neighbor Of The Beast.

I love those guys.... Very Happy

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lisa

Chris-Definitely Top Ten. No Doubt.

Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
conspiracies unlimited

which post are you guys refering to? I want in on the riotous indigantion thingy
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: