Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Funny?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lenore

Funny?  Reply with quote  

Here's the thing, it's so subjective isn't it? My daughter has been trying to get me to read "Good Omens" for a while now, so I put down all my other books and picked it up. It's legendary, right? All cultish and ya know what, except for a giggle and a few bemused hmmmms, I'm not getting it. I understand the premise but the funny, not so much.

I haven't gotten to the Four Horsemen yet, my husband says it's funnier when they show but I hope that's soon. I'm half way through.

Stupidest Angel had me laughing out loud like an idiot...which I may just be, but that's a whole other question. ( I know that was so kiss ass but it's true, so WTF)

So AG- Has my funny meter gone on the fritz?

I read Paul's posts and didn't realy get those either. The super glueing your ass Paul ...that was funny!

Post Fri May 20, 2005 12:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Re: Funny?  Reply with quote  

Lenore wrote:
Here's the thing, it's so subjective isn't it? My daughter has been trying to get me to read "Good Omens" for a while now, so I put down all my other books and picked it up. It's legendary, right? All cultish and ya know what, except for a giggle and a few bemused hmmmms, I'm not getting it. I understand the premise but the funny, not so much.

I haven't gotten to the Four Horsemen yet, my husband says it's funnier when they show but I hope that's soon. I'm half way through.

Stupidest Angel had me laughing out loud like an idiot...which I may just be, but that's a whole other question. ( I know that was so kiss ass but it's true, so WTF)

So AG- Has my funny meter gone on the fritz?

I read Paul's posts and didn't realy get those either. The super glueing your ass Paul ...that was funny!

Lenore,

it is sort of an English thing like Eddie Izzard and Monty Python. Those who like it love it and those who don't hate it.

Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Re: Funny?  Reply with quote  

Quote:

Lenore,

it is sort of an English thing like Eddie Izzard and Monty Python. Those who like it love it and those who don't hate it.

I don't think so, FL. I love Python, Douglas Adams, Eddie Izzard, Nick Hornby, Ben Elton, Hugh Laurie, Ab Fab, Black Adder, Coupling, and Mil Millington -- well, a lot of British Comedy. But I just don't think that Terry is that funny. It's me, I know, but there you go. I'd never for a second say that someone shouldn't read his stuff, but I just don't get it either. (And as you guys know, Neil and Terry and I all have the same editor here in the states. I've shared this with her and we both just end up shrugging. Like Lenore says, I think it's subjective.)

Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
gretchenfaith

Good Omens and good humor  Reply with quote  

It must be a subjective thing, because it my funny bone just right, right off the bat. But then, I also laugh like a hyena at the TV show, King of the Hill, which I often don't WANT to find funny, but, I just do...I think that there is no controlling what we do and don't find funny. My 5-year-old son and my husband love the Three Stooges and Charlie Chaplin movies...I just don't get them.

GF

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
xnbach

It probably is one of those subjective things. I gave my girlfriend the Hitchhiker's Guide (because she had never ever read it before) and she found the whole thing tedious. Then again, she does have an allergy to all things British (she hates Monty Python and couldn't get through more than five minutes of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels).

I have a feeling she wouldn't find Shaun of the Dead nearly as amusing as I did.

She does have a sense of humor, she's been laughing her way through Lamb since I loaned her my copy. There are just some things I find funny that she doesn't and some things that she laughs at (Everbody Loves Raymond for instance) that just leave me shrugging.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Thom

Thom

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:11 am   
Jilly

She hates things British??? She's never seen "Kind Hearts and Coronets" or the original "LadyKillers" with Alec Guiness? I wonder about people like her. Work on her. She'll get the humor eventually. I remember seeing Black Adder back in the 80s with Rowan Atkinson and Miranda Richardson. It was hilarious. Does anyone know where I can get DVD copies of it???

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:19 pm   
Kilgore

Amazon: Black Adder - The Complete Collector's Set

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005A1SX/qid=1118360562/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-3879636-9428924?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Here ya go Jilly.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

-KV

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lenore

Quote:

I love Eddie Izzard and where I love Fawlty Towers more than Monty Python I do love many things British. Actually I love too many British things. Masterpiece Theater, the accents (all of them), The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Donovan...Herman's Hermits...Ewan McGregor, Dame Judy Dentch, Peter O'Toole. See I go way too far.
I draw the line with the Royals though, publicity hounds if you ask me.

Maybe it's just British literature. Now my daughter is asking me to read Feet of Clay. Claiming it's by far funnier than Good Omens.
I don't always need hysterically funny. I like books that make you "think" or cry BUT if it's supposed to be funny I want FUNNY.

I'll give it one more go and if this one falls flat then I'm done with Pratchett.
I've seen Black Adder, It's very funny Kilgore. Another one of my daughter's loves.

Last edited by Lenore on Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

I think I tried to read Good Omens and just couldn't get into it. I'll have to go check my bookshelves to see if I'm thinking of the right book.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sgt_steve

I've probably read and re-read Good Omens a half-dozen times. IMHO it's far and away the best thing Pratchett ever did, and Gaiman has rarely exceeded it.

Steve "Waiting for 'Anansi Boys'" Simmons

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

I have to agree with Steve on this. I have read a few of Prachettís other stuff and they werenít as good but that is my opinion. I have loaned out a few of my Eddie Izzard DVDís to friends and they either love him or they hate it. The same is for Monty Python. The answer I hear the most is that they just donít get it.

When I said that it is an English thing, I did not mean only the English would get the humour in Good Omens or any other comedy from England. What I meant is that a lot of English humour is very particular in the sense that it gets mixed responses. Some people get it and some donít. American humour seems more universal but it is also made for a larger audience. Another example would be the tongue in cheek humour of The Smiths in music or even from the American side of it Warren Zevon.

ta

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Don't get me wrong, I liked Good Omens a lot. I think that Neil's storytelling ability really complemented Terry's humor (humour?) and vice versa.

Just generally, I'm not engaged by the books of Pratchett, Holt, or Rankin, and I suspect it's because the story and character appear to be secondary to the dialogue, rather than the dialogue serving character and story. This, again, is something completely subjective, and I don't mean to make a qualitative statement about these guys' work, it's just that they often don't resonate with me. Honestly, I wish I could put my finger on what makes their work so easy to put down for me, because I'd like to avoid doing it in mine.

It may very-well be the a sense of silliness that I have a hard time with in printed form. While I very-much enjoy watching the Python skits (Department of Complaints and Dead Parrot come immediately to mind) I'm not sure I could follow the salvo of nonsequiters that come with them if I were reading them. I haven't read everything by these guys, so I may just not have hit the right book, or I may have hit picked them up when I wasn't in the right mindset, so I shall blunder on and try again.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

What about Lord of the Dance? Now that was some funny shit:

ta,

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JennyO

chris wrote:
I haven't read everything by these guys, so I may just not have hit the right book, or I may have hit picked them up when I wasn't in the right mindset, so I shall blunder on and try again.

I admit it. I've read all the DiscWorld books. Even the new one that's only available in hardback. My favorite by far is Small Gods. I'm not sure if it's because it's the first one I read, or if I'm just intrigued by the idea behind it (an idea that Gaiman also explored to some extent in American Gods, but in a totally different way). Regardless, I don't think it's a typical DiscWorld book, and if you feel like you do want to try them again, I'd suggest trying that particular title.

As far as the humor in them, they never really make me laugh out loud, but they do make me smile a lot. I generally read Pratchett when I need a break from the heavy stuff.

The timing of this thread is just bizarre. I haven't read Good Omens in probably 10 years, but I picked it up again the day before yesterday. I still like it. And it's lines like this one that make me grin:

Quote:
That Hieronymous Bosch. What a weirdo.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kilgore

how about this one:
Quote:
God does not play dice with the universe: He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players,* to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with balcnk cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time. * i.e., everbody.

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

-KV

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: