Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

The Keynote Speech
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chris
Site Admin

The Keynote Speech  Reply with quote  

Okay, kids. I have to give a keynote speech next month at the Jackson Hole Writers' Conference. About an hour in length. If you were in the audience, what would you want to hear?

Remember, this should pertain somehow, to writing.

Post Thu May 26, 2005 11:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Q

How about discussing genres?

What are (or were) the lines of demarcation and how they've changed (or haven't changed) as the media vehicle continues to grow and transmogrify?

Does this ever expanding delivery system strengthen and cultivate the genre? Or does it fracture it into more and more sections as people become more and more specific about what they find funny ("Barry, Doresy, Hiasson and the Florida Gang at table 5." and "The Ya-Ya Red Hat Club table 3, please." "Would Bridget Jones please meet your party at the Sex in the City coat check." Where do you, AG, and Hornsby and Gaiman sit? Do you care? What's been lost? Gained? Are Palahnuik and Vonnegut at a table in the corner wondering what the hell's keeping Steinbeck?) Is this evolution making the genre search out the reader or help the reader find his genre? What's been lost? What's been gained?

Would Mark Twain blog?

What is it to be known as a comedic novelist in the cyber age, the reality television age, the mini-series, the maxi-series, panning literary rivers for golden screenplays. What's been lost? What's been gained?

Is the comedic author being hunted to extinction or being forced to adapt to new environs?

I don't know, some crap like that.

Q
and the second has all of the fun.

--Analytics of Five

Post Fri May 27, 2005 1:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

All good ideas, Q. Is that what you want to hear, or are you just giving me stuff to talk about? I'm really not at a loss for material, but I want to talk about what people would like to hear.

Post Fri May 27, 2005 2:34 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
HRH Gracie

I would want to know about decisions writers make regarding writing for themselves and /or writing for the market.

as someone who hasn't published fiction, I am just interested in getting an agent. Are these attendees mostly writers who earn a living writing or 'future' professional writers? Because future writers want to know how to get an agent and a publisher to look at their work.

p.s. Jackson Hole is my FAVORITE ski resort. It is steep! Killer steep. so steep that when i went back to Utah, i could ski everything there no problem.

Post Fri May 27, 2005 3:55 am   View user's profile Send private message
Tal

I usually want to hear more of the nuts and bolts of how a writer goes about their craft. Smile

Post Fri May 27, 2005 5:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Regina

hmmmm ... I too would probably want do's and dont's in terms of getting an agent/publisher, but as a Chris Moore fan, I'd be really interested in hearing about process and your personal experiences as a writer.

Here's a random question that just popped into my head... Do you read reviews? If so how do you handle them? Or do you just leave it up to publishers and agents to read them to find quotes they like?

Post Fri May 27, 2005 7:08 am   View user's profile Send private message
Q

chris wrote:
All good ideas, Q. Is that what you want to hear, or are you just giving me stuff to talk about? I'm really not at a loss for material, but I want to talk about what people would like to hear.

They're topics I'd find interesting to hear about. And hear about from you.

Especially since I've been selling books for the past three months and often encounter the request; "I'm looking for good funny book. What do you suggest?" I hand over Lamb, Last Days of Summer, and Me Talk Pretty One Day. Beyond those, I need to ask questions to narrow the field.

I know what the video game industry has done to the SciFi Fantasy genre. Was curious as to how you think TIVO, Daily Show, and the Onion effect your job.

Could just go with kittens.

--Analytics of Five

Post Fri May 27, 2005 9:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

Tal wrote:
I usually want to hear more of the nuts and bolts of how a writer goes about their craft. Smile

That's what I would be most interested in hearing. As well as a few behind the scenes stories about where ideas came from for books, characters, etc. I've always liked stuff like that.

Post Fri May 27, 2005 9:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lisa

Hi there Chris. There has been a certain social conciousness running through your books. Stories about common ordinary people doing extraordinary things. A thin electric line that touches the nerve All The Time.
I like that. It's not like you have the same place the same perfect hero with the great teeth, the same nature theme in all the books. The thinking is on a all out different level. I'm sure your audience will have a treat. Wink

Post Sat May 28, 2005 9:34 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaandlu

I think the most interesting thing would be your working method. What goes through your mind as your writing each story? Where do you draw the line on your humor? How do you know when something really works and when it doesn't? How do you know when to wrap it up? You know, end the book or end the chapter.

Really if you think about it, it's the only thing you can discuss at a writers convention. Writers wanna here how writers write. Hell as a reader I can say the same about us too. We want to know how you do it.

If you have a point to make then make it. Otherwise just go on about yourself. I'm sure that will be more entertaining than you may at first think.

Post Sat May 28, 2005 4:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Q

I have been slightly confused by this thread.

As I read the ideas and suggestions that followed mine I kept thinking 'Yeah, I'd like to hear Chris talk about these things as well but they seem more like book-signing/appearance for CM fan fare, rather than keynote speech writer conference stuff. Industry topics and the like.

jaandlu's comment--"Really if you think about it, it's the only thing you can discuss at a writers convention. Writers wanna here how writers write." is what made me realize the source of my confusion:

I've never attended a writers conference. I gots no clue what happens there. Very Happy

I'd read a keynote speech given by George RR Martin that discussed Fantasy vs. Sci-Fi and took that as an example. Looked back on it and realized that was as a Book Convention.......something I've never attended. Very Happy

When anyone's speaking at the 'Caffeinated Society of Reformed D&D Savants' give a shout. I'm your guy.

Q

btw--if anyone attending this thing spies the Cliff Notes for "ADD and You" snag a copy for me. Tanks.

--Analytics of Five

Post Sat May 28, 2005 7:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Ok I don't know what happens at a writers convention either. But AG asked If you were in the audience, what would you want to hear? I think he could discuss genres and what are and were the lines of demarcation and how they've changed or haven't changed like you said but only as they relate to him and his personal views on them. Not some industrial study of that because that's not what he does. He writes books and he's very good at it. So he should talk like he writes. With his imagination and what he knows. So I think the answere is much more simple than you make it out to be. He just wants to know what you want to hear. You told him, and you were sincere. That's good. Let it be. When I said "Really if you think about it, it's the only thing you can discuss at a writers convention. Writers wanna here how writers write." that is a huge assumption on my part. I have never attended a writers convention nor am I by any means a writer. Hell Look how I have strung this paragraph along way beyond it's shelf life. And I'm not sure(because I'm not a writer) but I think that third sentence may be a run on. I'm sure I could not even come close to pointing out all the flaws in my writing much less my writing style. (Was that a run on?) All I know is that if I heard him give a keynote speech at a writers convention I'd like him to discuss things he enjoys himself. He seems to enjoy what he does. That happens to match the confrence at least a little bit don't you think.

Post Sun May 29, 2005 12:34 am   
jaandlu

Ok, that guest was me. See how silly I am Q. Never any use in reading my posts.

Post Sun May 29, 2005 12:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike

what would I want to hear...  Reply with quote  

Hiya Chris,

Since you'll be speaking to all sorts of writers who have a plethora of diverse experiences and backgrounds perhaps keeping the focus on common issues will be most benficial.

If I had to make picks, I think I would want to hear the "Chris Moore summary of best practices for navigating the writing industry". That topic may potentially hold the interest of those, like me, who are newbies as well as veteran industry types. I'd also want to hear you speak briefly about what you think about the technology age and what you think writers ought to be doing or watching for, presently and in the future. I guess I'd like to hear some CM style speculation! Lastly, I would also want to hear your words of encouragement, everyone likes to hear someone they respect say that it will be ok if they just keep forging onward, and of course, heed every small stich the advice just received Wink

Incidentally, will you be able to post a transcript of your speech? Ya' never know, thought I should ask.

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:36 am   
mschulze

ok...ok...  Reply with quote  

Sorry, that post above was from me. Smile

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: