Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Ego Deflation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lenore

Ego Deflation  Reply with quote  

Sometimes a little ego deflation isn't a bad thing. You seem to get that Chris. But honestly, you've done book signings and I'm sure you start to go into autodrive and aren't processing what's being said to you. Right?

I doubt anyone could recognize a specific person 15 mins after just signing their book. You look up, ask their name, and then write something and boom onto the next person.

I haven't been to one of your book signings but I've been to some others and it's just the way it is.

I'm not here to fluff that humungo ego of yours...( is it really that big?)
But just think back to your book signings.

That's my motherly advice, take it or not.

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:41 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Re: Ego Deflation  Reply with quote  

Lenore wrote:
Sometimes a little ego deflation isn't a bad thing. You seem to get that Chris. But honestly, you've done book signings and I'm sure you start to go into autodrive and aren't processing what's being said to you. Right?

I doubt anyone could recognize a specific person 15 mins after just signing their book. You look up, ask their name, and then write something and boom onto the next person.

I haven't been to one of your book signings but I've been to some others and it's just the way it is.

I'm not here to fluff that humungo ego of yours...( is it really that big?)
But just think back to your book signings.

That's my motherly advice, take it or not.

Yeah, you're right, but then it wouldn't have been a funny story.

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Pilgrim

transcripts  Reply with quote  

Is there any place that a person can get transcripts, tapes, or whatever of this upcoming and similar events. God, I'd love to read/see them! Thoughts on writing from people who can actually write, and from authors I love to read? So much to learn!

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Re: transcripts  Reply with quote  

Pilgrim wrote:
Is there any place that a person can get transcripts, tapes, or whatever of this upcoming and similar events. God, I'd love to read/see them! Thoughts on writing from people who can actually write, and from authors I love to read? So much to learn!

I know the Santa Barbara Writer's conference used to have an on-site taping company that sold tapes of the speeches, but I don't know if all of them do. I doubt that they'll have one at Jackson, it's pretty small.

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lenore

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, but then it wouldn't have been a funny story.

You know I'm reading that blog comment and laughing my ass off at your expense feeling like a totally worthless human being because I did find it so funny. Nothing like a good yuk because someone's in pain, it's like a pratfall.

Maybe it's a good thing my daughter's off to college soon. I really have to stop being a mom.

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

Pilgrim wrote:

Yeah, Chris should get a guy who just follows him around and writes down everything he says. Then he sell on this site to the die hards over in the compound.

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Pilgrim

jaandlu wrote:
Yeah, Chris should get a guy who just follows him around and writes down everything he says. Then he sell on this site to the die hards over in the compound.

To me, it's more than that. I've reached the point where I have to write. I don't have a choice anymore. The only question is will I improve or not.

I like the way Chris puts a lot of things. Sometimes, it's a thought that I've already read in some book on writing, but he puts it in a way that makes me think, "Oh yeah! Now I get it. Well, duh!"

I also want to hear about writing from people whose writing I really like. There are some good books out there by some successful writers, but their own writing just doesn't grab me.

All of this gives me an idea. I'm going to check out a bunch of these conferences online and try to get some transcripts of my favourite writers -- unless it cuts into my writing time...

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
ken
Site Admin

Hornby  Reply with quote  

BTW, as the guy who was there...

So I tell Hornby, sign it to Christopher Moore, and tell him the story... about how Chris "signed up to be there" because of Hornby, not realizing what a poor choice of words this was.

Right behind Hornby, btw, was a stack of Chris' books (coincidentally). I see what he writes, and look somewhat horrified. So ... I tell him, uh, that's Chris Moore - he's faculty, not a student, and point at the stack of books.

Hornby looks somewhat horrified himself, says "oh shit" and adds the additional note.

Now, I have no idea if he had any idea who Chris was before that, but at least he realized it was a major faux pas. (In english, "Oh shit").

Now for the interesting question... having this just happen, realizing what a fragile ego CM has, and seeing the inscription, do you buy another book and have Hornby try again, or just send it, knowing what the result would be?

Like a good friend, I sent it. Everybody needs some ego control now and then.

Now what I want to know, was the idea for the SF novel any good? Or was CM smart enough not to read it, knowing if he ever inadvertantly uses any of the ideas in it, he'll get sued. (or stalked... anybody see "Secret Window"?)

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
FattyFattyPorkFace

I love the whole story. I started out reading Nick Hornby and then migrated to Chris Moore so this is kind of a full circle thingy such like and whatever. I have no point.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sara Leigh

Jeff, you crack me up. Very Happy

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Klari

Ken,

The answer is, buy another book and have Hornby sign that, then sell the first one on eBay with the whole story in the product description, and of course send out an email to everybody on the board to let them know about the auction before posting the eBay auction.

Um, Hornby sucks. More so because he said that about Chris. But honestly, I read High Fidelity and it just seemed to glorify Peter Pan complexes. I just wasn't interested in reading anything more of his after, and from what I've seen of his stuff made into movies, this type of character seems to be a theme in his work. His writing style didn't inspire me to read any more and I just didn't find much of it funny. He ain't no Chris and he should tremble before the mighty talent of our wonderful AG.

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Klari wrote:
Um, Hornby sucks.

That is just wrong.

Ugh!

no ta for you.

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

children, children, Hornby can belong to both of you........  Reply with quote  

You are soft, you are cozy, you are gentle. You are friends.

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 pm   
Ferrit Leggings

Re: children, children, Hornby can belong to both of you....  Reply with quote  

Anonymous wrote:
You are soft, you are cozy, you are gentle. You are friends.

BTW: It is cosy you, you, you, American English speaker.

That was the worst thing I could think of. Shit.

I got it now> Hahahahahahha

I never have seen an episode of Buffy. don't intend to and I think it was a crap show.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhahahahhahahahhahahha.

Hornby is a god among authors.

too over the top?

oh well. I guess i did like Buffy.

Not as much as Hornby though.

Still no TA for you Klari.

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

ummmm......  Reply with quote  

What the Sam Hill (American phrasing) does Buffy have to do with "soft, COZY (or cosy, either way, I'm soft, gentle, etc.)? Am I just not up on pop culture?
You, Klari, Buffy, Horby, and Ag are all friends.

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:01 pm   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: