Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Posting my novel?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
funbagz

Posting my novel?  Reply with quote  

When I am finished my novel and several rewrites later, I am thinking of posting my first novel in fan fiction. Since I haven't seen any other novels there (I haven't looked too closely though) I am wondering if I am aloud to or if there are any problems in doing so.

P.S. It will be about sixty-thousand words in length, is that below the average novel length?

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Regina

I'm pretty sure there are copyright issues if you plan on selling it, since the forums are open to the public.

It might be more useful for you, if you are looking for critique to ask if there is anyone interested in doing that via email or private messaging...

That way- you are also guaranteed to get some response to the work.

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

You could also post an excerpt with all the appropriate copyright info at the head. Actually, I'm surprised that more of the posters don't include those all important details.

We all enjoy reading fan originals even when we neglect to post critiques.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
funbagz

Thanks for the advice. For now I guess I'll just give a chapter or two.
Also, what would the copyright info entail and where would I get this information? Since this is my first novel, I've never had anything published.

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

funbagz wrote:
Thanks for the advice. For now I guess I'll just give a chapter or two.
Also, what would the copyright info entail and where would I get this information? Since this is my first novel, I've never had anything published.

2005, all rights reserved your real nane here.

The copyright symbol is option g on a mac so probably control g on a windows machine, though I'm not certain.

For safety's sake you may want to send a copy of your manuscript to yourself by registered mail or safest of all do the formal copyright. You can download the form from here: http://www.copyright.gov/register/literary.html and spend the $30.00 to get a formal copyright.

Any of the 3 should adequately protect your original work for the purposes of posting here. At least that's how the legalities have been explained to me.

(edited for typos)

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lauren

Don't post more than your first three chapters - anything over that is considered first serial rights, or first electronic rights, or one of those phrases that will come to me after the coffee kicks in. And actually, with a length of 60,000 words, I'd say don't post more than one or two chapters (I haven't made my way down the list to the fan fiction forum yet, so you may already have done this).

60,000 words is about young adult novel length, I believe. CM can give you a better idea of how many words are in his books, but I'd peg BS fiends at around 150,000 and Lamb at 250,000. (Am I even close, Chris?)

The copyright is yours the moment you set words down on a screen. When a publisher buys the book, they'll go ahead and formally register the copyright for you, but you don't have to pay to have it done. You can copy and paste what Gingj put there if you post it.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
funbagz

thanks for the copyright info.

But for the length of my novel, I don't think the length of a book can determine what age group would read it, maybe if I kept writing all my novels to about that amount. but for my first novel? Animal farm and Of Mice and Men were both only about a hundred pages long each, they were two of greatest adult author's first works.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:39 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lauren

Oh, I agree with you. If your story is told and finished in 60,000 words, then it's complete. We put out a book last year called Hunger that was incredibly powerful. And page-count wise, it's fairly short (144 pages), but yes, it was for an adult audience.

I was just answering your question about average novel length. There's this trend right now towards big, huge books - Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, The Historian, the last three Harry Potter books (4, 5, 6) - which is probably skewing the "average word count", but from what I've seen, 100,000-150,000 is the starting word count for an adult novel. YA novels start at 50-75,000 words and go up from there.

Tell your story in the time it takes to reveal it, and stop when it's done. No one can really dictate how long or short something should be, other than the author. (Well, unless you've been contracted to write something specific, but that's entirely different).

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
palmer as guest

You will also find that posting it there will play havoc with your formatting. Consider setting off your paragraphs with the enter key rather than tab, and italics are a different story entirely.

People can also only read so much on line, so they'd have to download it anyway if it's lengthy.

You might post the beginning and then invite people who want to read more(with or without critiquing it) to PM or email you to request the entire Word (or whatever format) file to read.

I, for one, am curious

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:30 pm   
funbagz

Does anyone want to hear the gist of my novel? It will be kind of difficult for a reader only reading one or two chapters to be able to wrap their heads around what I'm trying to write. I talked to CM about how my protagonist is a jerk a while ago and how that might be hard for the reader to identify with him because he is so much of an ass.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

funbagz wrote:
Does anyone want to hear the gist of my novel? It will be kind of difficult for a reader only reading one or two chapters to be able to wrap their heads around what I'm trying to write. I talked to CM about how my protagonist is a jerk a while ago and how that might be hard for the reader to identify with him because he is so much of an ass.

Rather, do tell!

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
funbagz

remember you asked for it...  Reply with quote  

Hmmm... okay. This is going to be difficult. My style of writing, if you can call my way of writing a style is I figure a basic plot, sometimes well into the book. But mostly I write by instinct. I have no idea what I'm going to write even when I'm writing it, I do know where it's going, but I have no idea how I'm going to get there.

Here goes... My main character (who I didn't bother naming and probably never will) is in college and has a very depressing, dark, negative look on the world (a.k.a me, accept for being in college).

The major theme would be that he is a car thief; he steals cars for fun and to make it even more fun he crashes them on a regular basis. In the crashes he injures himself alot and for a reason that will be shown in the climax he doesn't care at all that he often comes close to death, in fact he wants to die, but he knows he never will (not for a while anyways). In this particular car crash and later his self treatment of his injuries a woman by the name of Bertha barges into the main character's apartment after she hears his screams from him dipping his swollen bloody ankle into a steaming bowl of Everclear to disinfect it and a big awkward experience plays out.

A semi romantic aura develops between them but goes no where, because Bertha is a cruel tease. the main character brings Bertha to the community pool to heckle drowning victims at the pool who are acting to train a group of wanna be lifeguards. In a practical joke gone wrong Bertha is tricked into taking a bite out of a rancid ham sandwich older than the building itself; Bertha spits out the rancid bite and it smacks a lifeguard supervisor right on the forehead and instigates a big running scene and later when the lifeguards catch up with the protagonist who being a masochist baits them into beating that lands the protagonist in the hospital.

In the hospital the protagonist is confronted by a detective by the name of officer Wako (pronounced Wack-O, not Wako as in the town) who knows all about the protagonist's car theft rampage and later accuses the protagonist of being a serial killer. the serial killer charge is later dropped because the witness withdraws her (Bertha) testimony. But the protagonist still goes to jail for multiple counts of grand theft auto.

After several eccentric cellmates and a human booster-shot by a man named Molly, he is released temporarily to attend his mother's funeral where we are introduced to his entire extended family: eight aunts and uncles and their families, who are in varying degrees horribly dysfunctional (accept the funeral part, it's completely true and based on my eight aunts and uncles who are dysfunctional and very screwed up, I even use their real names, hehe). After a failed diversion that the protagonist perpetrated in order to escape, a real diversion appears when the protagonist's mother raises from the dead and complains and bitches about being almost being buried alive. This diversion succeeds and after shooting another cop's ear off with his own gun the protagonist makes a daring escape in the squad car that had brought him to funeral in the first place.

After dumping the police car and stealing another car, the protagonist makes his way to San Fransisco to the E3 convention where one of his only friends and creator of the very successful Grand Theft Auto video game franchise is showing a new version of the game (I know I am going to have to change the GTA to something else or I'll get sued, but I'm not done my first draft yet.) The protagonist is actually the inspiration for GTA. After the protagonist begs for cash from him and fails, he knocks him out and mugs him for about two grand. Because the protagonist knows that his friend has ratted him out to the cops and law enforcement will be coming soon.

This is all I have written so far, so I can't be nearly as detailed from this point on. The protagonist runs from the cops and makes it back to where this all started. He finds Bertha and finds out that Bertha's best friend was raped and murdered by a serial killer and his best friend (not the creator of GTA) is that serial killer and Bertha testified that the protagonist was the killer so she could get him out of harms way so she could take the real serial killer down. (This sounds a little bad and corny to me, because this is a very loose plot and I often change direction and get better ideas while I write). In a struggle or something like that the protagonist is forced to kill his former best friend to save Bertha. The protagonist hops back into his stolen car and runs from the police yet again who have just arrived on the scene.

We find out that all we have read was not actually happening in real time, it has all been dictated into a tape-recorder and only now is it in the present. This is where the climax occurs... This is when he confides that he is in an unending loop (kind of like Groundhog's Day), he is forced to live his entire crappy life over and over and not be able to change any of it. Because he can't change any of it, he can never tell anyone about it; the only reason he's saying it now is because this part of the tape is destroyed when he crashes the car he is in and where he is telling his life story. The car crashes he dies and the loop starts over again. That's the end, so what do you think?

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Regina

I think the loop tape, Groundhog's day device is an interesting one to work with, and I like that the story being replayed has a noir feeling ... The synopsis makes it sound a bit scattered, but thats because its a synopsis, and I can't see how all the pieces fit.
I'd have to read it to give you an informed opinion, but it sounds interesting.

I just have to say, about an earlier post.... Check out Lauren! Rockin out with the details!
You kick ass!

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message
funbagz

I can't thank you enough, I really needed some feedback. thank you for the critique Regina.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
funbagz

In my book, I also give little hints to what the climax will be, like the narrator going on and on in detail about things he couldn't know about. Or like this line "...dragged towards the car and thrown in extra hard as part of my payment for shooting a fellow officer's ear off. I could have done alot worse to that cop than just shooting off his ear; in another time, when I was a different person I did do alot worse." Do you think that is too easy a hint? Do you think most people would figure out the climax with that line?

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:01 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: