Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Do you think in words or pictures?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Are your thoughts in...
words?
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
pictures?
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
A combination?
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
Other...
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
KatarinaNavane

Do you think in words or pictures?  Reply with quote  

Yeah, Yeah, my second poll in half an hour. But I've resisted posting polls since I got here, I'm gonna ask people stuff now ^_^

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
FL

I think in brail. I get all tickley inside when a good idea comes along.

Ta,

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:44 pm   
Lara

Both  Reply with quote  

Absolutely both.

When I'm listening to music, I think in pictures (moving images).

When I'm writing music, I think in words. Rolling Eyes

When I'm think what I should have said to some random person who pissed me off, I'm thinking in both. Twisted Evil

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KatarinaNavane

P. S. I think entirely in words. So far, I've polled in other places, and I seem to be the only one (or almost)

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ginjg

I think in a varying combination of words, pictures, sound and amorphous concepts that are none of the above.

It's hard to express but they are fully formed and complete ideations. This does cause difficulties when I try to make them understandable to others.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sgt_steve

Depends on what I'm thinking about. I rarely think in words until the time comes up that I have to articulate something. Usually it's rather inchoate, more like feeling than thinking. But I often think in pictures if working on a concrete task (pun intended) such as building a patio.

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Katy O

I'm a words girl. Music, however, is more about colors.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:08 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sara Leigh

Hmm. I'll have to think about that.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gretchenfaith

words  Reply with quote  

I think almost exclusively in words. I also find looking at pciture or comic books extremely frustrating. My 5 year old son is always asking me to read these to him, and it is well and truly a challenge for me to do this - translating from the picture on the page to explain in words what is happening, it's a nightmare for me.

So, lately I've been trying to get him to give up Spider Man for James and Giant Peach, but, it's an uphill battle....

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jaandlu

Sometimes words. Like narration in my head. Reading I see in vivid movie form. Then it's usually after a good spell of reading that I start thinking in words.

When doing music I think in shapes and shades of color on a 3 Demintional plane. It's the way I can "see" a mix. But I am also feeling it in my head. So I think in feeling also.

When it comes to hyper-consentration it tends to be shapes and shades again. Each containing an idea or concept that then fit together in different geometric patterns. It's easier for me to hold a complex concept in this manner.

Ja

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
conspiracies unlimited

mostly pictures though, but then again I was raised by my a television set, so pictures are what I am used to... They are my friends...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lenore

I think I agree with CU. I grew up in a very visual world...movies, TV. I think it's a good 70% pictures and 30 words. Some music is all about the cinema of the song. I love watching the story play out in my head.

I can be impressed by a beautifully worded sentence or paragraph but if the written word doesn't produce immediate visuals in my mind it gets boring pretty fast.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
KatarinaNavane

However, I dream entirely in pictures with the only words being memorable, but cryptic, phrases like "morrison gauntlet" "As long as this necklace stays in my family none of my sons will be killed by my cat" (spoken by someone cursed to always lie) and "Nosferatu has you" (from a menacing disembodied voice).

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goudron

I usually talk to myself when I think... The arguments are disturbing.

In dreams I can't read or do math hardly at all. I'll spend a whole dream trying to figure out a short phrase. It's very profound in the dream, and then I usually forget it right when I wake up.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jaandlu

I often dream of reading a book that holds all the secrets of the universe. It's allways a new story but I can never remember anything other than words. Lots and lots of words. Amazing little critters them words.

Ja

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: