Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

This Saturday...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Regina

This Saturday...  Reply with quote  

I have been asked to read my fiction, in public, for the first time. I have to fill about fifteen minutes. I've been doing the spoken word thing for a long time but I'm nervous, and having trouble deciding what to read. (Thought my critique group has given me a vote, which is helpful.)

Any advice?

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Slow down, know your material, slow down, don't ask me, I suck at public readings.

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Regina

Thanks Smile

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:39 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

Wow, how cool. I wish I could go. I'm sure you'll be great. Like gracie said enjoy it. You are your worst critic and a live audience is always very forgiving. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it. Have fun!

Ja

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
y

WTG Regina! That's awesome! I took public speaking in HS and the only thing I remember is just what the AG said - slow down. Well, that was my problem at first. Then I think I took the advice too literally - I slowed down. Way down. My friend said I looked like I was hopped up on something. While I was concentrating on slowing down my words, apparently my mouth was over annunciating EVERY SINGLE WORD OF A 15 MINUTED SPEECH. You just remember that you rock otherwise no one would ever ask to see your work! Razz

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

I once gave a critique while stoned but it didnít work out so well and then there was the drunken one that was worse but I have gotten better with speaking in public. I used to sweat uncontrollably and then get light headed that was why I did the drinking and smoking. I do find myself speaking way to fast sometimes. Most of my experience is with critiquing, speeches, and yelling. I like the yelling a bit more because you feel a bit better at the end of it. The critiques were easy because there was a topic that had to be adhered to but the speeches were hard at first because I sometimes ramble on. When you are talking in front of a group of people and go off on a tangent sometimes you loose them or worse they throw stuff at you.

Working with kids has helped because I have to read in front of them daily. With kids I have to make the story interesting but not so much that I sound like Robin Williams on acid. It is a hard balance but I think Chrisí advice is best to go slow because if you are thinking slow when you are in front of people speaking many times you think you are going too slow but then realise that you were doing fine. If you think you are spot on then you probably going to fast. One speech that I gave I spoke at a speed that I thought was fine and it was way too fast.

Think of it as the opposite of driving stoned. You think you are going five hundred miles per hour but really you are going twenty. In your case it will be thinking that you are driving twenty but really there is a cop behind you trying to keep up. The cop is the people trying to follow what you are saying.

Ta,

BTW: That is so cool that you are getting to do this. You are very talented.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Shoes

Congrats! A chance to read your own stuff outloud doesn't come along every day.

Relax and trust yourself to do the deed well, because you probably will. Reading outloud is actually fun--especially if it's your own work. 'Cause then you can give air to some of the voices in your head. Smile

Try two or three pieces outloud and see which one feels the most natural. Sometimes pieces that look good on the page, just don't deliver well outloud. Try recording them and listening to yourself. Your opinion matters more than anyone else's because YOU are the one who has to be comfortable with the experience.

Practice reading whatever you select until it is internalized. I'm not suggesting that you memorize it, I'm suggesting that you know the words well enough that you can read it with confidence. Also, that allows you to look up from time to time if you so choose. You want to aim for a speed that is just a little below conversational pace and don't sweat the occasional stumble (if you do at all). Just move past it like you would any other normal conversational glitch.

Best of luck.
mary

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:14 pm   
Boota

Regina, that's great that you've been asked to read your stuff. Good luck.

I just did this at the University of Cincinnati not too long ago and it was a blast. Just relax and enjoy it. I practiced outloud reading the pages I was going to do. Fifteen minutes is a little longer than I went, but not a whole lot. Just read it outloud until you're comfortable with it.

As far as deciding what to read, that's a tough call without knowing your stuff. You're just going to have to make a judgment call according to what kind of group you're speaking to and what face you want to show them about your work. Myself, I selected the filthiest chapter in my book and read it to the class. But that's just how I roll. Smile

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
y

How did it go Regina? You're reading! How did it go???

Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:21 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

Well Regina? How was it? Did everyone love you? I bet you were awsome. Did you record it? Maybe I should have mentioned that before. But you should have known to record it. You did record it for us didn't you Regina.

Ja

Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Regina

Woot!

It went really well. I had a lot of fun, and I think the audience did too .. and I didn't even fart Smile

Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Regina wrote:
Woot!

It went really well. I had a lot of fun, and I think the audience did too .. and I didn't even fart Smile

I give you a WOO YAY!

ta

BTW I DID NOT MAKE IT.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Boota

Good to hear! Too bad about the farting, though. That really "sold" it for me at my reading. Smile I'm glad you had a good time with it, and here's to more of the same.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Good for you! So glad it went well. Hope there's lots more opportunities for this. Smile

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:26 am   
y

Mabye next time let us know when and where so we can try to come too!!

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: