Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Darn it...

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ferrit Leggings

Darn it...  Reply with quote  

Oh Shit…

Fucksocks…

and so on...

I have been working on a book, as you all know, and the way I have written it is by taking aspects of my personality and separating them into two of the major characters. One is a man, the other a girl. I used the girl to be reminiscent of my childhood or how I would have liked it to be and the man as how I am with my life but shaded in fiction. I picked a girl because of my interest in art and literature which is predominately a trait in girls at a young age where boys do building and so on. I was the kid who sat with a book or a paintbrush and would be content for hours. I was also a climber but that is a whole different story.

I was going to have the girl have Asperger’s Syndrome because that is what I have, or think I do anyway, it can be very obvious at times. Being fixated on working, obsessive, hand flapping or tapping when agitated (I have learned to conceal this by putting my hands in my pockets or looking like I am playing the piano in the air), and so on, but also un-sociable with some aggressive tendencies (that was me as a child but now I am merely un-social), but I have just found some research that shows a disparity in the way I was portraying the child. I was using information that pertained to boys. My mistake but also there is not much research into girls with autism. Asperger’s is in the autism spectrum. It was believed by many to be mainly in boys but I was running with a theory that it was in the opposite sex as well and severely under diagnosed. The BBC came out with a report a month ago that I recently found, today, that says that I may very well be right however I was a little off with the aggressive behaviour.

I want this book to be right and not something that people will scrutinize latter on. What I want is a true account, although somewhat fictional. So now I am going to have to go back and tone down some of the aggressive behaviours so it will be truthful.

DAMN, this happened to me before. I was in the midst of a retelling of the story of hell, poking fun at Dante and I was going to use a baseball team that hadn’t won the series in 86 years as a running joke throughout. It was supposed to be showing how the balance of heaven and hell is kept by keeping the Yankees in their glory because god is a Yankee fan and how Satan is a Sox fan. Then they won.

At least this time I don’t have to rework everything this time and just a few things but what I was wondering is does this happen often to people or is it just me?

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
y

Quit time traveling! Just kidding! I think it happens to lots-o-peeps. Don't fret over it. At least you know what the issue is and that's easier to fix then most issues.

You'll be okay. Here:

"Thank you for who you are
and doing what you do.
Who you are is wonderful
and what you do is important!"

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

y wrote:
"Thank you for who you are
and doing what you do.
Who you are is wonderful
and what you do is important!"

WTF is that? It sounds like Mr Rogers trying to get a date at the roundabout on the playground. Twisted Evil I am cracking myself up, now, thanks. Tears of sorrow are turning into tears of joy.

Sigh

Seriously thanks Y. I appreciate your poem. I needed to make a joke. It helps me to do that and I mean no disrespect . I am sure you know how you need to joke around in times of stress.

Ta,

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
y

No dear, I wasn't posting a poetic pick-me-up. Jo posted this in news and noise: One Simple Act

But I'm glad it made you smile anyway. Quit stressing about it. If's Friday night - go out and have a pint or 3.

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message
earthshoes

Re: Darn it...  Reply with quote  

Ferrit Leggings wrote:
Oh Shit…

I want this book to be right and not something that people will scrutinize latter on. What I want is a true account, although somewhat fictional. So now I am going to have to go back and tone down some of the aggressive behaviours so it will be truthful.

At least this time I don’t have to rework everything this time and just a few things but what I was wondering is does this happen often to people or is it just me?

Fact: If it is successful enough to be studied closely (scrutinized) it will happen regardless of how accurate you are. I also suspect it will be criticized, no matter how careful you are. So write your book and quit worrying about getting every detail right. It sounds fascinating.

mary

Last edited by earthshoes on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Regina

Hey FL-

Yeah- It happens to everyone. I tend to agree with shoes, but keep notes in case an editor calls you out. Another thing you could do is say its an atypical case... we don't have all the science yet, so its feasible...

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message
palmer

After the first draft of my novel, I saw a huge, huge flaw that meant I had to go back and rework a sizeable chunk of it.

Shit happens.

At least you're getting it right.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Also, I have had this theory for a while and wanted to work it in to a book. That is why I freaked a bit when I saw the News. It has been through a few morphs but still with the same premise of me as the main aspects of the central characters. I am a little self centred, in case you haven’t figured that already.

Y,

I can’t drink anymore but chocolate milk is tasty.

Shoes,

I think you are right and Reg as well. So I will carry on. Sometimes you look for reasons to stop even when you shouldn’t, writing is like that.

Palmer,

This is the third draft and final one. I may work on some small stuff when I finish it but this is it. I have to stop writing this story or I will be writing it for the remainder of my life.

Reg,

Did you get my E? Just curious? My mail has been a bit screwed up lately. Sorry to post it here. I didn’t know if it would get to you the other way.

Ta,

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
y

so, have a pint or 3 of choco milk. Agreed - it is a tasty treat!

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

This happened to me while writing my book. One of my main characters decided to be a snot so I made her have sex with another female character. That fixed her. I just felt sorry for my other main character. But what can you do? Re writes are a bitch that’s why I use Kinko’s.

Mr Andlu

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
palmer

jaandlu wrote:
This happened to me while writing my book. One of my main characters decided to be a snot so I made her have sex with another female character. That fixed her. I just felt sorry for my other main character. But what can you do? Re writes are a bitch...

Especially with the bitches?

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

(Tongue in cheek, ladies...)

Stop thinking all that sick tongue stuff, Palmer, you're too focking old!

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Regina

Hey FL-

No no emails from you- Did you send the latest draft? I haven't gotten anything from you in my inbox since the last one I responded to...

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: