Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

My grandma will never believe it

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
rscott

My grandma will never believe it  Reply with quote  

I finished Lamb approximately 60 minutes ago in my lovely hotel room while on a business trip. Not my first CM book, actually my 3rd, but by far my favorite. Seeing as how I am agnostic, but still quite interested in religion and faith as a function of society, I found this book to be quite entertaining and in a sense enlightening. After reading the final verse quoted in the book (John 21:25), I was actually moved to pull the Gideon provided Bible from the drawer beside my bed. For the first time in my life I actually read the Bible (the Gospels) with interest. My devout grandmother is going to have a stroke when I tell her this..she has been praying for my soul for years.
What I find interesting is that many Christians probably find this novel to be offensive. While they may feel this way, I challenge them with the fact that it made me interested in the full story. I was actually moved to pick up a Bible and to read the stories of Christ's life. No amount of praying for my soul, Fox News, or random people forcing their religion down my throat has had that impact. So thanks CM, my grandma will sleep much better tonight.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

Welcome to the board, rscott. Hang around here long enough, and you'll be amazed what we'll have you reading.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lenore

Welcome to the board rscott. It's a fun place to be.

Quote:
What I find interesting is that many Christians probably find this novel to be offensive. While they may feel this way, I challenge them with the fact that it made me interested in the full story.

I'm a lapsed Catholic and I didn't find it offensive at all. My mom is a born again Christian and neither did she. My daughter is an agnostic too and she said it was the first book that made her interested in the life of Jesus.

So I hand it out to someone I know whenever I can. I try not to praise AG too much around here or I'll get a rep for kissing up. So when I say it's one of the most inspiring books I have ever read and I've read it over and over, please know I mean it because I'm probably going to get kidded for saying that. It's also one of the funniest. So there's nothing bad there.

I hope AG didn't read this, the man has an ego you wouldn't believe.
Needs ego deflation every once in a while ya know.Smile

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it - one of my measures of a good book is that it perks up my interest in related things. Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Lands (which is not by Lord Byron, but by John Crowley) sent me scurrying back to re-read much of Byrons verse. Soldier In The Mist (Gene Wolfe) got me to read Herodotus' Histories. Any good book about something you didn't know much of should make you hungry for more meat on the topic. Looks like Lamb has done that for you.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Actually, I don't think Christians have a problem with Lamb, based on what Chris has said and my own experience. I loaned it to my sister, a converted Catholic who is the ultimate Catholic now, and she liked it and passed it on to another of her Catholic friends. Those who actually pick the book up and read it, instead of making assumptions based on the title, find nothing offensive in it.

Welcome to the boardello, read the rules, get nekkid, and join the insanity. Very Happy

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sara Leigh

sgt_steve wrote:
Oh, and while I'm thinking of it - one of my measures of a good book is that it perks up my interest in related things. Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Lands (which is not by Lord Byron, but by John Crowley) sent me scurrying back to re-read much of Byrons verse. Soldier In The Mist (Gene Wolfe) got me to read Herodotus' Histories. Any good book about something you didn't know much of should make you hungry for more meat on the topic. Looks like Lamb has done that for you.

I was inspired to buy The Love Poems of John Donne after reading The Calligrapher by Edward Docx, another Suetu book, which I highly recommend. I believe it falls in the genre of Lad Lit.

Oh yeah, nice pumps sgt. Twisted Evil

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sgt_steve

I *love* this place. My pile of good books to read is growing faster than I can read them, in no small part due to the recommendations here. I just started my first Hornby tonight, "About A Boy," because of the good stuff folks have said here.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
svgev

Guess that you are right, Scott, it is sometimes quite illogical what people find to be offensive when it comes to religion. Guess that they did not read the part of the Bible that reads "let them talk about us, even if it is to criticize us. Truly, truly I tell thou, it will save us a bunch of campaign money" (Matt 26, 5, or something.) Then I do not see anything against religion in Lamb.

But this note is to recommend you another book. If you liked Lamb, and if you have not already read it, I think you will like Joseph Heller's "God Knows." He is not half as good as Mr. Moore (I just wrote the opposite at Heller's blog, and actually referred to the Author Guy as "that obnoxious rat"). It is funny, because while reading Lamb God Knows never came to my mind (so they are not really similar, I guess), but your comment about Lamb having made you take a look at the Bible, perfectly describes what happened to me with Heller's book. Just a little bit of advice: people do not like to see you laughing your derriere off while reading the Bible. Keep it private.

Cheers,
Svgev

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:04 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

svgev wrote:
Guess that you are right, Scott, it is sometimes quite illogical what people find to be offensive when it comes to religion. Guess that they did not read the part of the Bible that reads "let them talk about us, even if it is to criticize us. Truly, truly I tell thou, it will save us a bunch of campaign money" (Matt 26, 5, or something.) Then I do not see anything against religion in Lamb.

But this note is to recommend you another book. If you liked Lamb, and if you have not already read it, I think you will like Joseph Heller's "God Knows." He is not half as good as Mr. Moore (I just wrote the opposite at Heller's blog, and actually referred to the Author Guy as "that obnoxious rat"). It is funny, because while reading Lamb God Knows never came to my mind (so they are not really similar, I guess), but your comment about Lamb having made you take a look at the Bible, perfectly describes what happened to me with Heller's book. Just a little bit of advice: people do not like to see you laughing your derriere off while reading the Bible. Keep it private.

Cheers,
Svgev

God Knows is a fun book. I was never able to think of Solomon as wise after reading that book. For those not familiar with it, it's the story of David.

Last edited by chris on Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lenore

I'm reading a book right now that will offend everyone. Equal opportunity offender. It's called The Laughing Jesus and it's a comparison of Literal Religions and Gnostic Philosophy (or religion).

Like I said I'm a non practicing Catholic but being a Catholic the Old Testament isn't really a big deal. It's all about the New Testament.
So I'm reading this book and the authors are saying there is no historical evidence of anything in the Old Testament. (or the New either) So I'm like
Huh? David and Solomon are kings, kingdoms must have records or other countries must refer to them somewhere. And according to these guys the answer is no.

Now I know I sound naive, or maybe stupid. But where I knew the existence of Jesus was a leap of faith, especially the resurrection I assumed there was historical evidence (aside from religious text) of some of the characters of the Old Testament.
I did believe that the stories were parables but I also believed in an Abraham, David and Solomon.

AG- when you were researching Lamb, did this come up for you too?

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: