Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Here

chapter 12

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Johnny Slipknot

chapter 12  Reply with quote  

Seth dreamed.

In his dream he was strapped to a massage table in a bright white room. Strong hands, her hands, kneaded the muscles in his back as her hair brushed lightly against his skin. When he tried to raise his head, the canvas straps would tighten and dig into his skin.

“But, I want to kiss you.” His words came out slurred and heavy. She just hummed a simple tune in his ear and played the length of his spine.

Outside, he could hear what sounded like a soccer match. A huge crowd was gathered and shouting in one voice, pounding their feet on the stands. Whatever was happening on the field was approaching a head and Seth wanted the sound to stop. He tried to ask if the windows were open, but his tongue was too thick in his mouth. Struggling to lift his head, the straps bit deep into his sides and trapped his arms. Beyond the room, the yelling and pounding grew louder. Her fingers were starting to pull away and her voice sounded so distant. He tried to concentrate, to make his lips and swollen tongue form the words, but the pounding was too loud. His head ached and felt like it was filled with sand. She was gone, and the table shook with every crushing wave. He screamed and…

…sat up. Someone was pounding on the front door. He pushed himself to his feet and swayed for a second. His head ached. He probably hadn’t slept that hard in years. The sound of traffic came through the window and the sunlight hurt his eyes. Two empty wine glasses sat on the bedside table and suddenly it hit him that he was alone.

“Eileen?” There was no answer, except more pounding. Seth went to the door.
“Eileen? Is that you?” he reached to turn the deadbolt, but found it unlocked.
“No, asshole. It’s Jay. Open up!”
Seth sagged against the door and groaned. When Jay hit it again, Seth jerked his head back and yanked the door open. Jay filled up the doorway.

“Well, good morning! How the hell are you, buddy? You wanna put on some Beach Boys and jump around for thirty minutes? Huh? ‘Cause I just spent TWICE that long talking to RICHARD FUCKING SIMMONS, and HE says, THAT’S the way I’ll LOSE THESE UNSEAMLY LOVE-HANDLES I’M SPORTING!!!”
Seth turned and went back to the bedroom, Jay close behind.

“What are you doing, man?” Jay’s face was the color of a radish. Seth hadn’t seen him this angry for sometime. “In all the time we’ve been doing the show, you’ve never shown me this little respect. You know how that guy gives me the creeps. He’s a caffeinated Chihuahua. I didn’t want to book him, but NOOO. ‘He’s good on Letterman. He’ll light up the phones, Jay-Bird.’ Well, the fucking phones lit up, my friend. Like 4th of July. It was a blood bath!”

During Jay’s homo-phobic tirade, Seth spotted a piece of paper lying on the floor, next to the bed. When he unfolded it, his eyes immediately went to the lipstick-kiss at the bottom, and his heart smiled.

‘didn’t want to wake you. I have to go to work. Although concentration is going to be a challenge today. I’ll call you tonite. don’t disappear on me. I’m not done with you yet.
Eileen
p.s. you’re beautiful when you sleep’

Seth folded the note and put it on the bedside table. As he padded towards the bathroom he said, “Jay, I’m sorry you had to do the Simmons interview alone.”

“It’s not…Jesus. It’s not just the interview, Seth,” he said to the closed bathroom door. “It’s like you’re not there anymore. Even when you are! I got two phone calls from management after the show. People are starting to notice, man.”

Seth called through the door, over the sound of his peeing. “Take it easy, Jay. It’s no big deal.”

“It’s WHAT?’ Jay’s hands curled into fists. “NO BIG DEAL?!!”

“No, I didn’t mean…”

Jay banged his fist on the door. “NO BIG DEAL?! That’s my family we’re talking about! My kids! Your God-children!!”

“Jay…”
“I’m not letting you do this, man. Not again. You’re not throwing everything I’ve worked for down the toilet like you did the band!”

There was silence, then the bathroom door slammed open. Seth’s face was rigid.

“What did you say?” he asked slowly.

Jay took a breath and set his jaw.“You heard me.”

When Seth took a step forward and Jay took a step back, they where interrupted by the sound of someone clearing their throat.

Seth blinked a few times.
She was standing in the doorway.
She was standing in his bedroom doorway.
She was standing in his bedroom doorway, five-foot five, shoulder length mahogany hair and without a doubt NOT in the coffee shop.

Jay exhaled and sat on the bed. “By the way, she’s here.”

Seth looked from her to Jay and back to her.
“You…you…you’re…”
“The Troglodyte.” She said, curtly. Without looking, Seth slapped Jay on the back of the head.
“What are you doing here?” he asked.
“I’m not sure myself. Look, I’ll wait in the other room. It smells like sex in here.”

As she walked down the hall she called, “By the way, you’re naked.”

JS

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: