Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Addressing the Forum Title

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
deb

Addressing the Forum Title  Reply with quote  

No. I suck at writing. I can tell I suck at writing because I've never written anything but research papers, and who the hell wants to read THOSE? I have no novel waiting to be plucked out of my soul like one of those alien creatures that tries in vain (dangit) to kill Sigourney Weaver. I have no prose but that which comes after a drunk dial and an embarrassing weep-fest. Emily Dickenson is safely protected as the love-lost forlorn poet in my life.

If I were to attempt to write, it would end up being as embarrassing as discovering my dress was tucked up into my panties (thank god I was at least wearing them!!) at a wedding and no one told me for at least an hour. Or close to it.

I leave the writing to those who can do it, and gladly so.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:03 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaandlu

Awe come on deb I'm not a writer either and I'm writing all the time now. Sure it's crap but that's not the point. The point is...Ummm...well I don't know what the point is ...probably something about writing is good for you or something. Think up something deep and just stick it in there. Yeah...so...It's all Regina and Y's fault.

I know my point. It's that it's ok not to be a writer you can write a book anyway.
You should try it some time it's fun. And if you have fun doing it, it doesn't really matter if it's good or not. Some people stive to be great writers, I just strive to write.

Ja

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Regina

lol

Don't blame me and Y!

Do like Milli Vanilli and uh... Blame it on the Rain (My god, I can't believe I remembered that)

Joking aside Deb, If you write research papers you have a large part of the "writing formula" down, which is discipline to do the job... Meaning if it was a goal of yours, youcould probably do it... Youa re right about one thing tho and that i the impetus to write creatively is a whole different can of moondust. ....

or er... somethin

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

I'm with Deb. I can write scenes, non-fiction, mood pieces, songs, and even software. But plot? Characters? I'm hopeless, just hopeless. Joshu in the cave was the closest I ever came, and there both characters were taken almost completely from the source material.

Besides, writing is work. I don't want to write. I want to have written.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Walter

I used to feel the same way. In college, all I did was write papers (an unfortunate side effect of being a history major). It never occurred to me that I had the capacity to write a story, a novel, even something as simple as a line of dialogue.

After I graduated, I realized that I missed writing. The research was fine, the classes were interesting, but what I truly enjoyed was sitting my butt in the chair and creating something. I still didnít believe I would ever write something worthwhile.

But, I decided to give it a shot. I spent three and half years writing a novel. It was pure crap, from start to finish. Everyone who has read it agrees. Do I regret writing that novel? Not a bit. I learned more from writing that crappy book than I would have had I spent those three and a half years telling myself I couldnít do it.

Iím about to finish my 5th book. Iím unpublished, but hopeful. If Iím never published, Iíll still feel content knowing that I gave it a shot.

Reginaís right. Youíve got the hardest part of writing in your toolbox: discipline. The rest is perseverance.

That voice in your head telling you youíve got nothing to say is the same one the rest of us have. Heís called a muse. Donít ignore him. Kick him in the nuts and go for it.

-wally

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Q

I could write really cool movie trailers.

Q
and the second has all of the fun.

--Analytics of Five

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deb

Q wrote:
I could write really cool movie trailers.

Q

Here in this part of the country, writing on someone's trailer is called vandalism.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: