Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

First Jobs.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
L.P. Bowman

first  Reply with quote  

My first job was a bag boy for Safeway (I believe a now defunct grocery chain).....however we were union (probably why safeway is no longer) so my official title was "courtesy clerk".....I looked pretty sharp in my sock tie and orange vest......

by the way Jenny O, I was a proof operator (banking) not too long after that and it was pretty boring......it sure was challenge running proof if I partcipated in any extra curricular activities prior to work.....oh my, the college days.....if only I could remember more

Post Tue May 25, 2004 7:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Paul R

First job for me was working for Canadian Tire. For those of you in the states, I guess the closest thing would be Target. I worked after school and Saturdays. I was in Plumbing and Painting. Me, a snotty nosed spiky haired punk telling grown up adults all about plumbing and painting. I can imagine all the leaky toilets and dripping shower heads that caused thousands of dollars worth of damage if people listened to my advice.
I had to work most Saturdays, and being of high school partying age, used to have to open up at 7.30AM feeling very hung over. Luckily, on Saturday's all the part-timers worked so we would cover for each other while we took turns taking naps in the storeroom on top of the plush toys. I can imagine little Bobby getting a nice teddy bear from Dad after his trip to the store and moaning that it smelled like a teenage alcoholic.

I also worked as a spray painter of gym equipment in the summer one year. Try spraying Black Tremclad rust paint 8 hours a day in an enclosed space. My hair would look like those black plastic hair pieces that Devo wore with great success years ago.

Fun times indeed!

Paul R

Post Tue May 25, 2004 7:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sara Leigh

Safeway  Reply with quote  

Safeway is alive and well around here. It's second only to Giant I think. It's not as big as it was, but it ain't dead yet.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 10:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
i8tokyo

Hey Mr., how 'bout a shine?  Reply with quote  

My first job was as a shoeshine boy in "Maple Hill Barber Shop" in Kansas City. I shined shoes at a price of .25 cents a pair. (of which I had to give the shop owner a nickel) I would get tips quite a bit, for anywhere between .25 and $5.00. I worked there for just shy of three years starting at age 9 and made a total of $1375 after cokes and pixy stick expenses. The worst part of shining shoes was that the polish would basically dye you hands after awhile. The kids at school would give me a hard time about having dirty hands all the time. That wax would not come off! I quit the job about the time I got interested in women. (no more dirty hands for me.) I then stepped up to a much more prestigious job, fry cook.

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Katy O

And Safeway owns Tom Thumb (aka Simon David).

My first "real" job was waiting on birthday parties at Showbiz Pizza Place. I think they got sued out of existence for copyright infringement by Chuck E. Cheese. The job sucked for many different reasons. I had to wear this top hat that was plastic covered by a thin layer of black fuzzies. Plastic doesn't breathe and you can imagine what that did to your hair. The management sucked. And sometimes I had to wear the bear suit. The fan that was in the nose of the suit didn't work so it was hotter than hell in that damn thing. And you weren't supposed to talk. You'd really be surprised how many girls tried to put the make on me when I was in that thing. Oh, and no one ever wiped that suit out, so the head piece was full of other people's hair product -- something I learned to look for after my first time in it.

There was onlygood thing about that job: Little kids would lose money in the ball pit, although I never would dig through them because little kids also pee in the ball pit.

Oh, there was the really cute dj and the dark dj booth. That was one other good thing about the job. Twisted Evil

Post Fri May 28, 2004 8:22 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Re: Safeway  Reply with quote  

Sara Leigh wrote:
Safeway is alive and well around here. It's second only to Giant I think. It's not as big as it was, but it ain't dead yet.

I love driving by Giant Food. I always do this mime of carrying a tomato the size of Barca Lounger out of the store, followed by throwing a stalk of celery over my shoulder and marching off. Sure, its not safe driving, but I never fail to crack myself up.

Laughing Ha. Giant Food. Ha. Laughing

Post Mon May 31, 2004 12:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
smartnfunnyfem

Location: West Chicago, IL (about 35 miles west of Chicago to be precise)
Job 1  Reply with quote  

My first job was working for my dad. He owned an office supply store (this before the days of Office Max) and a typewriter repair service (this before the days of computers). For you youngsters, typewriters are like computers but without the internet connection. I was able to count so I must have been six. My brother and I used to have to take inventory on all major school holidays (Christmas and summer break). We started by counting the boxes of staples and paperclips and thumbtacks and moved on to the reams of paper and index tabbed file folders and, most fun of all, typewriter ribbons! There were dozens and dozens of different models and they were always a mess. They had to first be sorted by the manufacturer, then by the typewriter company, then model number and then by cotton or nylon. (Using my best Cliff Claven accent here) Nylon, as you all know, lasts a much longer time than yer cotton ribbon. Nylon, though almost twice the price of cotton, has a much better tensile strength and holds your ink longer, therefore will last you at least 2-3 times as long as yer cotton ribbon. Cotton ribbon = Ford ~ Nylon ribbon = Cadillac

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dave S.

First Job lasted one day  Reply with quote  

My first job was a dishwasher at a restaurant that was owned by two bitchy gay guys. At the end of my first day on the job, one of the bitchy gay guys screamed at me for not doing a good enough job mopping the floor. I quit at that moment.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TiroIndite

My first paying job was at a Farm in a major northern california city, located right underneath a freeway.

It was a community project. They had chickens, rabbits, goats and etc. They also had a daycare center, rehearsal spaces, artist studios, community gardens and a performance hall. It became a well known punk club in the early eighties - that got me into trouble.

I got the job through the city's summer youth work program. I made $5 and something cents an hour, not bad for a 12 year old. I think I was allowed to work up to 16 hours a week, but it's been so long, I don't remember. I cleaned, collected eggs, cooked food for the daycare center. Planted vegetables and flowers in the garden.

At the age of 13 I ended up hanging out at the club at night (it was all ages). Because I got along with many of the people who would cause trouble, I was one of them Smile one of the local music promoters decided to pay me $30 a night to work security at the front and back door, I'd just stand there and pick fights. I wasn't that big, but I had many friends and I was 13, indestructible.

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Jillybeans

City of Hope in Duarte, California...clerical assistant for a bunch of strange people with scalpels and medical instruments. Lasted eight months...Then pool company in El Monte, California...lasted three months...then insurance company in Pasadena, CA...lasted longer: three years. Suffice it to say I found what I wanted to do when I grew up, later in life.

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
Alan

My first job was part of a summer youth work program in Beaver Dam, KY. I worked for the Board of Education processing the new text books. That meant I unloaded all of the trucks when they came in, emptied the boxes, stamped the number they used to keep track of the books on the inside and then boxed them back up. Eventually, we were also put in charge of taking the books to the schools. That was the best part. Three teens put in a truck and sent driving around the county all day.

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:09 am   View user's profile Send private message
conspiracies unlimited

WTF were they thinking  Reply with quote  

My first job was as a counselor at a city-run summer youth day camp thingy... poor little bastards
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

My first job was delivering bills for the gas company in the winter time. I guess the gas company was too cheap to spring for stamps, so they had 9 year olds walk door to door in 30 below weather... Things got better from there Smile

Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KEB

Working at Baskin Robbins - ugh. Let's see we had the old retired staff person named Mr. Smuckers (Seriously!) who seemed to enjoy berating everyone else even though they were doing their jobs well and he was being the slacker. We had the freezer compressor go and were greeted by an inch deep slurry of melted ice cream filling the back rooms - I had to mop the glop but luckily I wasn't one of the people tasting the remaining semifrozen ice cream to see if it was still salable. Finally had to quit because I was working outside my school district and because the one for BR was on strike we were staying open until 11pm and I wasn't getting home until 1am on some school nights.

It took me a few years before I could tolerate ice cream and I wonder if being lactose intolerant as an adult is some how psychosomatic. Not only does the smell of sour milk never get out of your nose but melted ice cream seems to act like a permanent press agent that caused permanent extra creases in my clothes no matter how many times they got washed.

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:01 am   View user's profile Send private message
Juliann

My first job for which I received an actual paystub was working for a hot dog stand (Does that make me a hot dog jerk? No, wait, that's a different job...) Since it was in the 'burbs of Chicago, we were forbidden to put ketchup on the hotdogs - just mustard, onion, relish, pickle, celery salt, and peppers. Since, at that time, required high school reading was Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, I couldn't bring myself to eat there much.

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: