Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Rejection and Editing. - A comment and a question.

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

Rejection and Editing. - A comment and a question.  Reply with quote  

I started sending out some query letters on my novel, I've gotten three rejections. The agents have been exceptionally nice! I was pleasantly surprised, and even though it still is - in fact - rejection, I don't know, it kind of feels good. Like it's real.

Anyway, has anybody paid an editing service to edit your work? I'm on my 3rd edit, and I cannot BELIEVE the crap I'm still finding. It's endless.
Nobody has really offered to proof-read it for me (even though people are reading it, they aren't really getting into that level of detail) and I hate to impose, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what y'all think.

So yeah ... and good thing I'm getting rejected, huh? This mo-fo isn't ready. But, I don't hate it anymore ... that is good.

Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Regina

Congrats on the not hating it part!

I would advise against the editing service, but thats just me. I find that doing it myself makes me a better writer - there are mistakes that you learn to avoid by toughing it out and doing it the hard way. Someone else might have a different take on that though...

Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

I'm completely blind to my own mistakes until the text has been set aside for weeks or more.

Back in the days before spell-checkers an English prof gave a wonderful method for checking spelling if you're blind to your own mistakes: check spelling backwards. Start on the last page of your essay, and go backwards word by word. It won't catch things like there/they're, but it's amazingly effective.

Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
earthshoes

Who can afford one? Not me.

I struggle with the same issue. I recently sent out a short story with two sizeable errors that I didn't catch--much to my embarrassment--until after I'd sent it. Needless to say, it was rejected. And this is from a woman who has been doing this for a while. Find someone who is good at proofing and likes you alot and ask them to look it over for you. Be specific about what you need--otherwise you'll get a critiqued, but not necessariy proofed copy back. There is a difference.

I will say that while practice doesn't necessarily make perfect copy, it does help a lot.

Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bren Jaro

Look at it this way, you now have the opportunity to be rejected. That's more than I can say.

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: