Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Oh yeah and speaking of the query letter ....

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

Oh yeah and speaking of the query letter ....  Reply with quote  

Does anybody feel like they want to share theirs? Funny that I'm asking, because I feel embarrassed to post mine. Maybe not embarrassed, maybe ... fuck it, don't know what word I want ... hey, great writing Nik.

Anyway, if you'd like to post it, I'd love to read it.

Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jay

eh, why not... I'll show you mine if you show me yours. erm, so to speak.

Here's the letter that has gotten me rejected by some of the best agents in the business:

Dear So-and-So,

My novel, Cry of the Phoenix, is a dark thriller that explores a world in which a virus has made living forever a reality for a select few. An elderly farmer, a video store clerk, a small-time criminal - their stories paint the true portrait of what it means to be "blessed" with immortality. Marcus Avery is a journalist who chronicles this new disease through his interviews with the victims. As the tale follows Marcus on his parallel journeys of discovery within the physical and spiritual worlds, the reader witnesses an unnerving transformation; a man who is a passive participant in his own life becomes an accidental martyr for the betterment of the world.

"It's Dostoevsky meets Stephen King and Carl Sagan."

"...one of the best things I've read this year. It had all the elements I like: characters that seemed real and spoke like real people, a well-paced narrative, a few great plot twists, and lots of metaphysics."

"Has a serious Robin Cook feel, seriously spooky. How did you think of this stuff?"

"Beautifully written, perfectly realized."

The manuscript, which runs approximately 90,000 words, is complete and available for your review. With this book, I hope to encourage readers to examine their ideas of what constitutes a life well lived, and to perturb the notion of a universe that passes by in 75-year increments.

In addition to a broad general interest in science and spirituality, I hold a Ph.D. in biochemistry. I also have six years experience as a technical writer and editor, having previously spent five years as a professor of chemistry and biology.

I believe this work will appeal to readers from a broad range of interest areas, including techno/medical thrillers, mysteries, social commentary, and classic metaphysical horror and sci-fi. I have appended a brief synopsis, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

That was for my first novel. I'm now well into number three. I never sent out number 2; either it ain't ready for the world, or the world ain't ready for it, but somebody ain't ready for something, somewhere, I'm pretty sure. I'm writing for myself these days. 200,000+ words and climbing, and I own every syllable. Keeps me out of the bars, at least.

PS - the quotes weren't made up; none are from family members, and nobody received any cash in exchange for their opinion. Actually, only two of them are from people who even sort of like me. The first quote was from a friend of a friend, whom I've still never met. The third quote was from a co-worker who really, really wanted to hate it. Can't please everyone, I guess.

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:25 am   
sgt_steve

Jeez, jay, that sounds like a fascinating story. What became of the book?

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jay

sgt_steve wrote:
Jeez, jay, that sounds like a fascinating story. What became of the book?

It now clutters my hard drive, and the minds of a hapless few.

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:25 am   
palmer

It makes me wonder where the virus came from. Interesting.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:15 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: