Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Here

chapter 22

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Johnny Slipknot

chapter 22  Reply with quote  

Mahoney marched into her apartment and was immediately berated by Sabaka.

“I’m sorry, honey. I’m sorry. I’ll get your dinner in just a second. I promise.” She went to hall closet and searched the top shelf. She took down a Nike shoebox. “Mommy has to solve a little puzzle.”

She sat on the sofa and emptied the contents of the box onto the coffee table. There were a dozen or so photographs, postcards, a set of keys that belonged to a guy she had dated and been dumped by, a handful of old check registries, a colony of paper clips, movie stubs and a cassette tape.

Mahoney picked up the tape and looked at the faded picture of the barn. She opened it, unfolded the cover and looked at the faded picture of the boys.

They looked so young. Young, but unmistakably them.

She shook her head and refocused. The play-list was printed in white on the centerfold.

1-Opening Gambit
2-Clear
3-Underfoot and Falling
4-Praise for Doc (what’s up?)
5-weasel
6-Blind Faith
7-Fleeing to Danger
8-We Happy Few
9-Your Eyes
10-Sleep Wide Awake
11-Eileen (dance at the window)
12-Nail in the Board
13-Aria

“Gotcha.” Mahoney grinned a grin that would've made a vampire proud.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out the business card that Jay had given her. Dialing the number, she picked up Sabaka and placed her on her lap. After four rings, his machine picked up.

“Hi. Leave a message.” Beep.

“Hi Seth. It’s Mahoney Tice…from the coffee shop. Jay gave me your number. I wanted to talk to you about…well, I think we should talk. I would like to clear the air…look; I can’t explain everything…Well, actually I CAN explain most everythin--I just would like--I think--she took a deep breath. “If you can find the time, I would like to meet for coffee and talk to you. My number is 404-867-1807. Thanks.”

She waited the span of three seconds...then, in her most casual voice;

“Oh and, by the way, I figured out the password to your friend’s e-mail. Bye now.”

She hung up the phone and stroked the purring Sabaka.

JS

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:50 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: