Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Irrational fears.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Hillary

Irrational fears.  Reply with quote  

I had a conversation last night about this, and I thought it would be a great thread to start. Anybody have any whacked out, irrational fears? Mine's snakes. We used to live on a farm when I was a kid, and we'd get corn snakes as well as the occassional unidentifiable anaconda-like thing that would slither around like it owned the place.

As a youngster, I hated the outdoors. I would make up excuses to not have to leave the house. "It's windy." "There are bugs." It used to drive my mother mental. On one fateful day, she told me to go mow the side lawn; I think I was about 12 at the time. I didn't want to risk being attacked by a goldfinch, but she threatened my life if I complained. So, grudgingly, I went.

I was trying to get the stupid chore done when the king of all serpents made his presence known. He was about 10 feet long, coiled around a flower pot. I ran in the house to say that a big snake was lurking in the side lawn and I couldn't mow. She ordered me to go back. Fearing her more than the asp-thing, I did as I was told. He was still there, mocking me with his slithery tongue. I returned to the house, now completely freaked out. "Mom, really. I can't." She told me to get a stick, put the snake on a stick, and to flick the stupid thing into the cornfield. I tried objecting, but she was in such a murderous rage, I knew I was damned if I did and damned if I didn't.

Inevitably, the only stick in the yard was shorter than my forearm and about as thick as a pencil. Great. I was going after Leviathan with a toothpick. Tears streaming down my face, I picked the stupid reptile up. Mr. Snake was not pleased with my efforts, and kept snapping and wriggling around. I was running to the cornfield in a frenzy by the time my mother came barreling out of the house to tell me to drop the snake, she didn't realize it was that big. Her voice startled me, I fell. Onto the snake.

Thus the fear was born. She felt awful for about ten minutes. Then she told everyone about it and laughed, cause she's evil like that. So now that I've shared my shame, I figured I'd ask if any of you folks have similar creatures/things/entitities you might have issues with.

Last edited by Hillary on Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tal

I hate snakes but am not fearful of them. But I am scared of spiders. Far too many legs and eyes for this man's comfort. Smile

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JennyO

Hillary, you are my kindred spirit.  Reply with quote  

I'm terrified of snakes. I grew up on a farm too, and we killed several rattlesnakes every summer. I have such an unreasonable fear of them now that I can't even take my kids into the reptile house at the zoo. I know they're behind glass. I don't care. My heart's pounding just thinking about them.

I don't think I ever got nearly as up close and personal with a snake as you did, but I did watch my dad and uncle beat a 5 foot rattlesnake to death with a hay hook -- a hay hook is about the length of your forearm. One of them pinned the snake's head down, and the other one just beat its head in. (I'm going to have nightmares about it tonight just remembering!)

Jen

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Katie

I don't have many fears which is odd because I think I used to. I was terrified of ants when I was a kid. Now I'm repulsed by roaches, but not really scared of them. I do have an irrational fear of tornadoes (drop an Eastern kid in the midwest and watch her face while during the first week the tornado siren goes off three times) and of relationships...long story. Most other things, spiders, snakes, rabid skunks, possums, turning up to school naked...that kind of thing I can handle.
*^_^*
Katie

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hillary

Ah, yes. JennyO, but . . .  Reply with quote  

Yours were poisonous. Mine were not.

I'll take the 'up close and personal with a non venemous counterpart' any day over the 'fairly close and personal with a rattlesnake' day that you speak of. At least if my snake bit me, my face wouldn't melt off.

*shudders*

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Ewww, spiders  Reply with quote  

I've always had a fear/hatred thing with spiders. Just don't like them at all. Little ones I can deal with, but once they get any size on them they freak me out. Unfortunately, since my ex left, there's been only me to get rid of (i.e., kill) all the big spiders and bugs in the house. Jane's worse than me. Lately, though, I've been making her take care of 'em. She's a big girl now. She might as well learn to face her fears. She won't have me to get all the big creepy-crawlies soon.

I have another irrational fear - that of objects hurtling toward me, like any kind of ball having to do with sports. Nobody ever wanted me on their team when I was little because instead of trying to catch or hit whatever it was, I ducked out of the way. Couldn't help it. It was an automatic response I usually couldn't prevent.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lauren

Hey Hill, you forgot to tell the story about getting caught in the rain at the Audubon Zoo, and your friend the albino rattlesnake. Smile

I think I can thank bad made-for-TV movies for my first one, and crazy people with pamphlets for my second.

Irrational fear number one: elevators. When I was but a wee lass, network television developed this weird obsession with earthquake movies. Inevitably, some poor group of people would either be in one when the quake hit, and thus fall to their doom (sometimes after a harrowing scene or three with the lights going out and the brakes releasing and catching, sometimes just the fall), or after the quake hit, an actor or actress who was either a)a jerk or b)hysterical and not in his/her right mind would make a break for the elevator, against everyone else's advice. The doors would close and Jerk Boss or Crazed-with-fear Secretary would plummet to his or her doom.

Being an impressionable child, I became convinced that every elevator I stepped in was one ride closer to my own plummeting death. And it didn't matter that I lived on the east coast and we're not likely to get big quakes. I wasn't afraid of earthquakes; I was afraid of falling elevators. So the fear was more "this elevator is going to fall" no matter how new it was.

Funny thing is, you can't take the stairs in my building unless it's a fire drill. So I've had to get over it and ride the elevator every day for the last four years. I'm doing okay. But it doesn't help that just all eight elevators in two different lobbies have expired inspection certificates. They're doing minor upgrades and renovations, and the saftey officers apparently aren't checking them out on schedule. I've only been stuck in them once and had two smartasses in there with me. They kept me laughing.

My other irrational fear was just silly, and it went away sometime during my freshman year of high school. Looking back, it seems like people were predicting the end of the world every month or so when I was little. "Hey, the Rapture is supposed to happen at 10 o'clock today." People handed out pamphlets filled with quotes from the Book of Revelations that scared the hell out of me. One person handed a tract to my friend's mom through the car window while we were at a stoplight. She tossed it in the backseat, and of course it landed right next to me with the phrase "Will you be raptured?" screaming across the top.

Combine that with a scary third-grade CCD teacher that told us we were going to hell on a weekly basis (she was fired because we all came home in tears every time and the parents complained), and I was convinced that I'd not only miss the Rapture and have to live through the Tribulation, but also that I'd go to hell at the end of it all. So, every time we got one of those end-of-the-world warnings, I'd sit there in school watching the clock (because it was always a weekday morning, usually Tuesday. What does God have against Tuesdays?), waiting for the flash of light and disappearing people, then heaving a sigh of relief when nothing happened. Then waiting for another tense five or ten minutes, because maybe the school clock was fast.

Last time I remember it happening was actually my freshman year of high school. But this time I think I was more interested in whether the nun teaching my World History class would be taken than whether or not I'd survive Armageddon. Yet again, nothing happened, and I went back to learning about Hammurabi's Code or whatever it was, and that was the end of my Rapture fears.

Despite it all, I think I turned out fairly normal. Well, mostly.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Hillary

No, I didn't forget.  Reply with quote  

I was trying to suppress that one.

Yeah. When I was supposed to get married, I decided I'd take my bridesmaids to New Orleans as their gift. Booked the trip, then called the wedding off. The bridal party decided to say 'screw it', though, and go to NOLA anyway. This is last September.

We're in the middle of the zoo on a perfectly beautiful day when God decides to piss on the earth. The skies open up and buckets of water come wailing down. One of the girls says "Look, there's an inside exhibit. Let's go in there until the storm passes." Not having my wits about me, I run when she runs.

Sure and shit, it's the goddamn snake exhibit. I'm completely petrified. I go through the rooms, not looking at anything but the rug, planning to wait by the exit. The last time I was at this zoo, there was NO exhibit next to the exit. It was a little empty hallway. This time, though, they've installed a new glass snake cage thing, and it contains a new, shinier than ever albino rattlesnake. The stupid thing is bashing its white scaled, red eyed demon self off of the glass to come play. Right at me. Every time it moved, I flinched. I thought I was going to erupt into sobs.

And just so that you all know, I have a most supportive group of girlfriends. Why, I think they all took turns pointing out exactly what the snake was doing when my eyes were closed (not that I didn't know . . . every thwap meant the thing was banging its head against the glass). They laughed, and laughed.

There's a place reserved in hell for those girls.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 1:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lauren

See, this is why I wouldn't make the cut for the Rapture  Reply with quote  

Being one of Hill's ex-bridesmaids, I was one of those girls she's talking about. It was the funniest damned thing ever. The albino rattler would only poke its head up when Hillary was nearby. It didn't give a shit about the rest of us. I think it was sticking out its tongue so often to smell her fear.

It was like a morbid game of peekaboo - Hillary would start thinking it was safe to open her eyes or peek out from between her fingers and he'd pick that exact moment to raise up and look out at us - nay, at her. Kept us amused through most of the storm. Well, everyone except Hillary. She wasn't so amused.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 1:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Sean

I have two. . .  Reply with quote  

I go jogging most nights around 10:00PM. My first fear is that a car full of teenage punks is going to drive by and they're either going to shoot me with a paintball gun in the head or they'll knock me upside the head with a baseball bat.

My second fear is of sitting down on a warm toilet seat.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Tue May 25, 2004 1:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Dave S.

fears...  Reply with quote  

Snakes and spiders don't bother me, but centipedes scheve me out.

Post Tue May 25, 2004 1:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JennyO

Re: No, I didn't forget.  Reply with quote  

Hillary wrote:
This time, though, they've installed a new glass snake cage thing, and it contains a new, shinier than ever albino rattlesnake. The stupid thing is bashing its white scaled, red eyed demon self off of the glass to come play. Right at me. Every time it moved, I flinched. I thought I was going to erupt into sobs.

Oh. My. God. I would've been catatonic. As if the regular rattlers weren't bad enough....a red-eyed ghost rattler?!? I now have nightmare fodder for a month...

Jen

Post Tue May 25, 2004 3:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hillary

That's the storm. I don't know if you can see the quantity of water falling down upon our heads, but it was quite traumatic. If it had been a normal amount of rain, I would have gotten wet instead of suffering through Vlad the rattlesnake.

But it wasn't. We had water up past our shoes at one point.

Last edited by Hillary on Tue May 25, 2004 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue May 25, 2004 3:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lib

Fear  Reply with quote  

Use to be spiders, but I can handle them now (just don't want one crawling on me). Now, my biggest fear is my son will graduate from college and want to move back home! Shocked Praying the economy is good in about three years and he'll find a job that will support him in comfort!

Post Tue May 25, 2004 7:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Paul R

I saw a movie when I was very young. It was called Day Of The Trifids. Now the fans of 1950's sci-fi might remember this one. A meteor shower hits the earth one night and everyone who views it goes blind. Our hero of the picture was in hospital the night of said storm and was blindfolded for some reason.

However that was not the end of it. After the meteors landed they turned into man-eating plants. Yes. Man eating large plants. Well from what I remember the way to kill them was with salt water, which our hero discovered at a lighthouse while being chased by thousands of these plants called Trifids.

What has this to do with irrational fears? Well animals do not scare me, spiders, snakes, whatever. bring em on. No, I get antsy around a lot of large plant life. Tis true. Now I believe that has to be really irrational.

cheers

Paul R

Post Tue May 25, 2004 7:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: