Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Irrational fears.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Katie

I think I remember that one. Were the plants all massive and spindly? I must have seen it when I was really young. I just remember a bunch of people being chased by them.
You've reminded me of a fear that I had till I was grown. Mechanical monkeys plaing the cymbals. I accidently say part of that Stephen King movie when I was far too young. I didn't even see anything bad happen. I just watched this terrified guy trying to bury a toy monkey, but when he got home it was still there. I think it was the soundtrack that scared me. Then when I got older I alghed all the way through "IT". Tim Cury in a clown suit has nothing on that creepy little monkey.
*^_^*
Katie

Post Wed May 26, 2004 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Lauren

That frickin' monkey  Reply with quote  

Katie, I know the movie you're talking about. It wasn't called "Monkey Shines", was it? The Stephen King short story was just "The Monkey", and the damn toy was on the cover of Skeleton Crew. Creeeeepy...

Post Wed May 26, 2004 12:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Robb

I have what you would call a healthy respect for snakes and such, bugs can bother me a bit when they land on me but for the most part I like watching spiders in their webs. We had a really cool one at my house when we moved in. It was about the size of an old silver dollar and was black and yellow. When ever we came close it would shake the web like it was trying to let us know it was there. I ended up having to relocate the little bugger because the kids and wife were seriously bothered by it. What scares me most is SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) When my kids were born I didn't sleep well for the entire first year of their lives. I would wake up at odd hours just to go check on them. After about the first year I could finally sleep. Then of course it would start all over again when the next was born. I also get seriously weirded out over sharks. Whenever I go into the ocean I am trying to form combat strategies on how to deal with Bruce the Great White. I used to be deathly afraid of flying and up till this last flight to Afghan I had never drawn a sober breath on a plane except by proxy.

Post Wed May 26, 2004 2:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Blinker

For some reason I'm deathly afraid of bugs that sting. Wasps and bees freak me out. I can handle all the other weird stuff like snakes, spiders, scorpions, chinchillas, etc. but if a wasp comes anywhere near me I freeze and can't move for about 10 minutes.

Hospitals scare the bejeezus outta me too. I hate 'em. I work in a hospital part time so maybe eventually I'll get over this one but for now it sucks.

Post Thu May 27, 2004 2:41 am   View user's profile Send private message
Think insane.

I'm not a man subject to a lot of fears. I'm not afraid of commitment, dying (or even dying alone), or lions and tigers and bears. I am irrationally scared of spiders. Big ones, little ones, hairy ones, it doesn't matter. If something has eight legs, I'm out the door, screaming like a little girl. And just in case you are wondering, octopi count as aqua-spiders. Nothing should ever have more than six legs.

I'm also petrified of lightning. Not irrational on that one though. I got struck by lightning when I was 15 years old, so I feel entitled on that.

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Thu May 27, 2004 9:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chelle

I dont have any fear of snakes, spiders, mean lizzards...used to work with them. But I do have a thing against parasites. I don't like to hear about them, see them or know about them. There are parasites that are just plain creepy, beefworms, brain worms, warbles...omg they are hiddeous. Every time I have a migraine I wonder (in the back of my head) if it is a parasite growing in there. I think of the movie Alien and shudder.....

Have a few issues with maggots too. Now, I know they have their environmental job to do. I applaud them for it. I certainly don't want their task. eeew. But here is the thing, when there are like millions of them do they have to make that sucking flesh noise? It just stays with me all day. And I know that they can't jump so why do I feel the need to scrub my skin when I see them?

Getting the Heebie Jeebies just thinking about them.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Sara Leigh

Thanks, chelle  Reply with quote  

Now my skin's crawling. Parasites. Maggots. Eeeeeeeeew.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
the evil shannon b

scairt...  Reply with quote  

june bugs...

if you're not familiar with the wily june bug, it looks like a large wood tick with wings...

i was out biking as a 12-year old. lived out in the wilds of wisconsin - lots o' fields. it was spring. the sun was setting and i dropped my bike to take a quick hike into a field that had a big hill you could see forever from. i wanted to get a better look at that sunset. once there, being the tallest thing in the field, a swarm of june bugs comes outta nowhere and decide to nest in my hair (i'm sure with the intention of laying their eggs in my brain). i tell you, when you have about 75 june bugs hanging off of you (they have those little claws that stick most to everything - like your face, for example), crawling in your hair, falling into your shirt, your brain chemistry changes quickly from a calm rational state to complete hysteria. i ran for my bike, june bugs crawling all over me, trying to get in my mouth, me screaming like a banshee and slapping them off - total B-type horror movie. i still can't look at those things without inwardly shuddering in horror.

---

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
- Bruce Dickinson

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:42 am   View user's profile Send private message
Hillary

My god . . .  Reply with quote  

Shannon . . . that's horrible. Ewww.

And yes, maggots am nasty. Very nasty.

I also just remembered my weird ass fear of ticks. I hate them. Whenever they're blown up and taupe colored? Ugh. Just gross.

This fear parlays into another strange fear: seeded sunflowers. They look like they're covered with ticks. GROSS! *ripping at hair thinking about it*

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Think insane.

Yeah, for the love of good, don't ever email her the pretty red sunflower picture you took...

Shocked

Lol Laughing

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Karin

BATS! I'm certain that if there's a bat anywhere near me that it'll get tangled in my hair. Never mind that the whole bat/hair thing is a myth. I'm POSITIVE that I'm the exception to the rule. Give me a nice hungry cougar any day. Just keep that little fruit bat away from me!!

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Spike

I hate spiders, I fear spiders, if I think I've seen one I am jumpy for the day. I can not deal, I can deal with everything else, but not spiders.
With this in mind allow me to tell you a story.

I was at a party in another building from the one I lived in. I walked over to my buliding and up to my room to change my top. I walked into my room and there sitting in the middle of my room, on the floor, almost grinning at me, was a HUGE brown spider. Big boddied and legs. I left quick smart without even changing my top. SO I went back to the party and I calmly annonced that I had a HUMONGUS spider in my room and could someone shift it for me. Only a ten year old boy volunteered. So off we went back to my room, glass and paper in hand, to get rid of this thing! And yes you've guessed it once we got to my room the spider had disappeared. So I changed my top and went back to the party.

Now fast forward a few hours. The time is now 2am, and I am heading back to my room with my neighbour. I open the door, and yes, the damn thing was back. So I calmly asked my neighbour if he would get rid of it. He was glad to.

(A quick warning. This is where things get a wee bit mingy so if you don't like guts and gore, please leave now.... you have been warned. If you are leaving now, the spider was gotton rid of safely and everything was fine. If you're staying this is what really happened next!)

My neighbour picked up the glass this ten year old had brought over, and attempted to place it over the spider, but the spider was to big, and began to run. I squeeled, waking up the guy opposite (who once found out we were trying to get rid of a spider, squeeled higher than me, took the precautionary measure of taking a towel and blocked the door to his room!).

Back to my neighbour and this spider. The spider is running in my room, so my nieghbout grabbed the nearest thing to hand, which was my biro, and stabbed the spider. (Now I hate spiders but I don't particularly want to kill them!) My neighbout came towards me with this spider, twitching, dying at the end of this biro asking me "What do you want me to do with this!" I could have killed him, so I told him to throw it out of the fire exit.

I thanked him once he came in, and he tried to return my biro to me, I told him he could keep it!

That's the story of Spike Vs Spider!

My sister is also aracniphobic and she found a spider in her room, crawling over her nightshirt! So my sister picked up her bedding and slept down stairs. Now here's the really funny part.

The following night having not been in her room alday because of her fear of this spider, she ask Mam to see if the spider was still about. So Mam goes into her room, then a few moments later comes downstairs with a huge grin on her face.
"What's so funny" I ask
"The spiders gone, it speared all over your bedroom fllor" Mam annonces looking at my sister
"EWWWWW you mean I sttod on it..."
"Yep!"
"Gross!"
My sister than had to clean up the remains by hand, because our hoover is broken.

I tried very hard not to laugh, butI had a huge grin on my facae, and soon as my sister was out of ear shot I giggled my head off.

I watched the film arachniphobia as a kid (12) and I freaked! I didn't sleep for a week and my own arachniphobia got worse.
I never did watch eight legged freaks, I just couldn't. Even Harry Potter spiders gave me nightmares. In the cinema I hid in an arm pit!

Spike
Major Arachnophobia
Even now my skin is crawling and I'm only writing about the damn things!

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lara

Paul R wrote:
I saw a movie when I was very young. It was called Day Of The Trifids. Now the fans of 1950's sci-fi might remember this one. A meteor shower hits the earth one night and everyone who views it goes blind. Our hero of the picture was in hospital the night of said storm and was blindfolded for some reason.

An old friend of mine has a similar fear based on that exact same movie. He's not afraid of plant life but he REFUSES to look up into the sky at night for fear of seeing a falling star/meteor 'cuz, you know, he might be blinded and end up getting eaten by a large daffodil. Seriously. It's weird.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lara

Bug Farm  Reply with quote  

Think insane. wrote:
If something has eight legs, I'm out the door, screaming like a little girl. And just in case you are wondering, octopi count as aqua-spiders. Nothing should ever have more than six legs.

"Six legs good. Eight legs bad."

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lara

Grapefruit  Reply with quote  

I like maggots only because I saw this documentary where the maggots ate all the dead flesh from this guy's wound and kept him from getting gangrene (like that scene in Gladiator)... oh, and they taste like chicken. Leeches are cool because they saved this kid's ear after it got bitten off by a dog and sewn back on but I could do without the stretching and blood as they are pulled off. Snakes don't bother me... I did competitive trail rides as a teenager and I had to stay calm so my horse wouldn't freak out when we came across one of the many thousands of rattlesnakes that roamed our Arizona deserts (oh, and this one time I was out hiking with my boyfriend and I stepped right over a rattlesnake in the middle of the trail without realizing it because it didn't start rattling until after I passed over and I had to impress my boyfriend, who was right behind me staring at the snake with his mouth hanging open, by saying something flip like "mind your step").

Meat bees freak me the hell out. I can remain calm for a few moments, giving them a chance to move on but if they don't I start heading for the nearest body of water in a casual manner, humming softly to myself to cover up the little voice in my head screaming "THEY CAN SMELL YOUR FEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Meat bees, which look just like regular bees sorta, will sting for the freakin' hell of it 'cuz THEY DON'T DIE and can get you over and over and over again. (((((((shudder)))))))

Cockroaches repulse me because when I lived in the desert, we'd irrigate our horse pastures and this would drive the sewer roaches up into our kitchens and bathrooms and these fuckers were bold. Coming into the kitchen at night, they wouldn't run when I turned on the light. They would actually turn their heads to look at me and then go back to whatever crumb they had found to chew on... I got the old cockroach-in-the-toilet-paper-tube more than once and 'til this day I still give it a warning spin before I sit down and drop trou'.

I like walking at night but this one time (as someone expressed in a fear above, I forgot who sorry) a car full of teenagers did pass me as I walked home from work and threw a grapefruit at me. Hurt like a mo'fo'. Left a huge bruise. Glad it didn't hit me in the side of the head. Death by grapefruit. I might have an irrational fear of grapefruit.

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: