Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Irrational fears.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sean

Grapefruit huh  Reply with quote  

That was me who talked about getting hit by something thrown from a car while jogging at night. I think it comes from a story I saw on the news where they showed home videos taken by kids as they drove around at night firing paintballs at pedestrians. I wince everytime a car rushes by.

http://manly-but-bookish.blogspot.com/

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:59 am   View user's profile Send private message
Green Bunny

I think this counts as a fear because on Web MD it says a phobia is a serious aversion to a particular object or space that affects normal situations. I have a fear of public restrooms. They just gross me out. I only use the bathrooms at my parent's houses or at a friend's house. Oddly enough though I'm not phobic about germs or anything. Just bathrooms.

Speaking of fear. I have a funny little story about my mom (smartnfunny) and a particular horror movie.

I like to think of my father as the diet coke of evil. He doesn't look or act all that intimidating but he's quite wily up there in his noggin. When my mom was pregnant with me my parents thought it would be a good idea to watch Alien. Whenever the movie would get scary (you know, with all that screechy music and the like) dad would whip his hand out in front of mom's face and go "EEE!".

Just thought I should share that with you peeps. Heh.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Sara Leigh

Alien  Reply with quote  

I went to see that when it came out. My ex loves scary movies. Me, I could do just as well without seeing most of them. Anywho, after about 15 minutes or so (I think that's about all it took), I tried to get up and go sit in the lobby until it was over, knowing that David was really into it. He wouldn't let me go! I ended up watching the freaking movie with my hands in front of my face for most of the time, peeking through my fingers whenever David said it was okay. At least he didn't lie.

He also made me sit through Halloween. We were watching it on HBO at my sister's house (this was prenup, when I was living with her and her husband). I wanted to go read in my bedroom, and once again he insisted I stay. So I read a book with Halloween as its soundtrack. :p I don't remember what book I was reading.

I really don't know why I let him get away with that. Must have been love at the time.

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ferrit Leggings

I only have a couple of fears beyond the traditional neurosisís that make me wince with fear like enclosed spaces, snakes, sharks and darkness at three in the morning during a bout of sleeplessness. All of those things are tames by a cup of tea and my overwhelming addiction to cigarettes.

My first is white tractor trailers. I donít like them due to I constantly have the dieing dreams of crashing into one, which is where my fear of sharks comes from. I have the nice swimming dream and a shark comes along. This is odd because I cannot swim very well. This fear is not overtaking and I donít cower in fear at the sight of white articulated vehicles. I know that I most likely will die a less dramatic death.

My other fear is people that have beards like Abe Lincoln. They scare the $#&# out of me. I almost didnít buy John Stewartís book Naked Pictures of Famous People because Abe was on the cover. I got over the fear and bought it but I hate looking at the cover.

I also donít like clowns, the circus, toads freak me out occasionally because I was hallucinating from meds once and saw one on my foot in while on the toilet.

I think I will call a shrink now.

I do like bad scary movies like Leprechaun, Chucky was funny.
Embarassed

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
whitewavedarling

Wow, everyone's afraid of snakes. I gotta say--I have an irrational and often-seen-as-my-weirdest trait Love for snakes. When I was little? My imaginary friends weren't people; they were talking snakes and kittens and llamas. Snakes are great, though, honestly. I like watching them and all that--just couldn't have one cuz I'd never be able to handle feeding it mice. I may get a hognose one of these days though. So, I got an iguana instead. As far as my fears go....well, the foremost in my mind is the nightmares I'll have tonight from JennyO's first posting regarding homiciding the rattler........ Other than that though lol, I'm terrified of roaches. I'll jump and scream and yell and make a complete full of myself if the tiniest one shows up. And yes, I currently live in South Carolina. I'm also a bit terrified of any fire bigger than a small lighter's. And volcanoes--the volcano one makes sense though. Hiking across a volcano crater, we discoered I was allergic to sulphur, and then i couldn't really breathe very properly for a few hours...not real pleasant. Other than that? I'm also a bit scared of leaving horror movies. When I went to see a midnight showing of The Exorcist, we came out to the parking deck and there'd been a dead animal dropped, mutilated, onto a car. Since then? I don't drive to horror movies at theaters, and I usually have my eyes close on my way to the car if we're downtown..... (I should say this was in Richmond, not Clemson). In any case. I hope the snake hate dies down some; truly, they won't eat us all if we like them. Smiles.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dreambuckets

Irrational fears, huh? Okay...I'm sure someone else has got to be on board with me on this...I have been afraid of CLOWNS my entire life. Yeah...*ahem*...clowns. I feel like there is something inherently evil about a grown person putting on garish makeup and playing with children (I can imagine what you're thinking folks, and I'm not going there...nuh-uh...no way)...put those suckers on a tiny car or bicycle and I'm outta there!

We have a huge Christmas festival every year in my city...when I was a kid, my family always watched the parade on the sidewalk in front of one of the cemeteries. I would always get nervous upon hearing the "honka-honka" of those damn clown horns and as soon as I could hear those massive shoes slapping down the street I'd be gone...right into the graveyard. That's saying a lot when I child would rather be hiding behind a tombstone than face a clown, lol!

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spike

I've only feared clowns, once in my entire life.

I am 12 years old, I am at my friends house for the weekend. Her sister has just bought Stephan King's IT. We all decide that it's a great idea to watch it.

We start at 1am. It's close to 4am by the time we go to bed. I don't sleep well in strange beds, or strange rooms.

I am sleeping in my friends room. There is a clown at the bottom of her bed.

I neither slept or took my eyes of that clown all night.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hillary

Clowns.  Reply with quote  

I'm not a fan.

Tim Curry as the IT clown was horrifying, so I hear that one. There was also a made for tv movie when I was young where Brian Dennehey played John Wayne Gacy. He lured little boys to his house to bang them and then bury them in the basement. My grandmother made me watch it as a public service announcement (my grandmother wanted me afraid of, well, EVERYTHING).

So yeah. Clowns pretty much suck. I still don't like them.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Spike

They are actually thinking of doing a remake of IT.

I'm in two minds about this. I think I would be all for it if they include more of the book, rather than doing a word for word remake.

Spikexx

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Katie

You know that movie was what killed my fear of scary movies. I used to not be able to watch them. After watching Tim Curry playing an evil clown that terrorizes Harry Anderson...well I just couldn't stop laughing. My parents couldn't figure it out. They thought I'd be in therapy after that movie and I was cured.
Go figure.
*^_^*
Katie

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
i8tokyo

What scares me?  Reply with quote  

I'm not afraid of much that I can think of. Snakes, spiders, and bugs in general tend to just bring out the "smash something" in me. Clowns just irritate the hell out of me, almost to the "smash something" point. But, do to federal law, I don't. (State Laws may differ, I'll check into that.)
The one thing that does scare the hell out of me on a regular basis is:

My Children...

Not that they jump from behind a closed door or something like that. What I'm afraid of is the freaks that are out there looking for someone to pounce on. I am terrified to let them out alone to ride their bikes, or play on the local school playground. That is without me, or someone just like me, around to serve as a designated perv smasher. I try to temper my concerns, irrationale or not they are real to me, but I remain maybe juts a little on the protective side.
Neither one of my girls will be dating for at least 7 more years, but I will say this ahead of time. "I don't envy the young men that come a courting".

One of my close friends asked me one time about the first boys my daughters falls in love with, and what my feelings would be. I told him that I want the best for both my girls and I want them to experience things for themselves, but will try to guide them gentlely when I can. The first boy, I'll be as supportive as my good sense will allow. Boy number fifty however, I'll be kicking the shit out of him. Very Happy

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

I hear you i8. I've always been most afraid of what might happen to my child. As the years have gone by, the things to be feared have changed. Right now, it's, "Where the hell is she at 3:30 am?" So I call her on her cell phone and tell her to come home. I did away with curfew for her senior year, based on another parent's recommendation and Jane's insistence that she would be responsible. And she was. During the week, on school nights she wasn't out past 11 or 12. But come the weekend, all bets were off. I managed to get her to agree to be home by 3, or call me. The call me thing has gotten left by the wayside over this summer. She'll be in Brooklyn at college Aug. 21, so I guess in a way, she's just preparing me. What she doesn't realize is, as long as she's under this roof, I'll worry about what's going on. Once she's at college, I'll worry, but not in the same way. There won't be anything I can do here in VA about what she's doing up there in NY. All I'll have to worry about is whether she'll maintain good enough grades to keep her scholarship and grant money, without which she's toast.

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:28 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hillary

holy stuff of nightmares.  Reply with quote  

Thank God I live in Massachusetts. Otherwise, I'd be completely freaking that he's coming for me.

*shudders, hides under desk until man eating beast is captured or shot*

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jeannie

I'm terrified of spiders but only inside the house. When I'm camping or hiking, i still don't like them, but i can calmly deal with them, brush them off my face etc... When they are in my space, I can't get anywhere near them. i usually get the cat to eat them but if one surprises me, I just start crying.

I'm also terrified of fish and drowning, however, I scuba dive. Again, once I'm in the water, I'm fine, big ugly fish don't scare me. I love the little critters but you'll never see me sitting on a dock with my legs dangling in the water. Never. I love kayaking and boating but i'm terrified of falling in and drowning. I always wear a life jacket which is a good idea anyways. i think I've learned to mostly ignore the fear, because even though I'm a little tense, I have a great time scuba diving and kayaking.

Setting up camp near or at nightfall also scares me. This is directly related to an incident where we set up camp on a steep slope in the middle of the west coast rainforest at night because my boyfriend and I never found the designated campsite and were on a very narrow steep trail when the sun set. I woke up in the middle of the night when icy cold water ran down my back and my little pen flashlite showed me that a creek,which wasn't there when we set up the tent, was now running directly through and underneath us. It was too dark to move the tent safely so we huddled with the last scrap of dry sleeping bag we could find until daylight. It was a long cold night.

I could babble on forever but I'll stop here so hopefully no one will develop a fear of my posts.
j

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Spike

I have a fear of anything that stops me breathing, I can't even watch it on TV. If there is someone who is being strangled, or someone drowning or someone who is hanging themselves or someone else is hanging them, I can't watch it. I can't read about it.

This fear is made worse by the fact I am asthmatic and am prone to asthma attacks, and on one occation left my body!

The only X files that ever freaked me out to the point of not sleeping that night was the episode where a guy was burried alive, and the end of the episode you see a cross section of the digger filling in the grave and the man hitting the top of the coffin wanting out.

Even now I can't watch the end of that episode.

The only thing that scares me in movies are the scenes that people are sinking or struggling for air eg the are exposed to space, a dinasaur is pushing the car into the mud and people are stuck inside (Yep that's right folks Jurassic Park scared me!).

I love air, I love seeing people breath.

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: