Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Signs and Wonders

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
XanderesqueMan

Signs and Wonders  Reply with quote  

I don't know if any of you have encountered this, but sometimes I've read books were authors describe a symbol of some type and then the publisher has printed a visual representation of that, so that the readers can see specifically what it looks like. Dean Koontz does this in Odd Thomas (great book by the way and I highly recommend it.) My question is how might one put this visual representation into their manuscript when they sent it out? Should you leave a space and draw it out as immaculately neat as possible? I know the common advice would probably be to leave out the symbol altogether, but should one not choose to do so, how would they go about it?

Cheers,
Ryan

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chris
Site Admin

Draw it in, or better yet, draw it, then scan it, make it into a JPEG, then insert it in the manuscript. That way, if you sell your book, you can send the JPEG for them to do the typeset from. Odds are, if it's a standardized symbol, they'll have the art department do a new one anyway. Just don't borrow an image from anywhere. If they can't can't find the source, they will not let you use it. So draw it if you can. And keep it to black and white. Half-tones (greys) aren't acceptable.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: